The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 29, 2012, 08:56 AM   #1
Noreaster

New Model BH 44 mag vs SBH 44 mag

Found a used New Model Blackhawk 44 mag with 6.5 inch barrel. Couple of questions for you guys. I thought Ruger offered the 44 mag (sa) only in the Super Blackhawk. What is the difference between a blackhawk and Super blackhawk in 44 mag, (beside offering the 6.5 inch barrel length,) is there a difference in the frame?
Old December 29, 2012, 09:57 AM   #2
Mystro

Yes, Super Blackhawk has a heavier frame. It is a double action. The Blackhawk was a SA.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old December 29, 2012, 10:17 AM   #3
kahrguy

The super black hawk is still a SA revolver also .The red hawk and super red hawk is da/sa. Only difference is the super is a heavier strong version for long range shooter or hunter related with the 2 hunter models set up for adding optics.
Old December 29, 2012, 10:41 AM   #4
Wyosmith

No No Mystro
Both Super Balckhawks and Blacks are Singles Actions. The Redhawk is the one that's double action.
Old December 29, 2012, 10:44 AM   #5
Floridave

Are you sure the Blackhawk wasn't a 44 special? And the Super Blackhawk is 44 magnum. ( and is a heavier built revlover )
I don't think the non-super Blackhawk is built in 44 mag.

BOTH of these are single actions, the Redhawk or Super Redhawk are double action revolvers.

You could confirm that very quickly with Ruger website or Ruger Forum has plenty of Ruger experts.
Old December 29, 2012, 11:50 AM   #6
bossman

The SS Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk are built on the same frame. The SBH has a few cosmetic options but basically the same gun.

I have a Blackhawk in 45 colt with a 7 1/2 barrel and it is one of my favorite SA. I think you'll have a blast shooting that 6 1/2 44 mag. Nice pick up and have fun. Both the BH and SBH will handle Ruger only loads.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old December 29, 2012, 11:52 AM   #7
black mamba

I think the only difference is the Super Blackhawk has a longer grip, so your pinky doesn't hang off the bottom like with the original dragoon grip.
Old December 29, 2012, 12:29 PM   #8
Bob Wright

Ruger's original .44 Magnum was the Blackhawk, a flat-top, three screw single action. It was made concurrently with the Super Blackhawk for awhile, then dropped. For the Ruger Fiftieth anniversery Ruger resurrected the flat top frame, though on the New Model design with transfer bar. The Flat Top Blackhawk .44 Magnum and Super Blackhawk differ primarily that the Super Blackhawk has the ribbed top strap and lowered wide hammer spur. Other features may, or may not, be found on the Super Blackhawk. The Dragoon grip frame is on the 7 1/2" Super Blackhawk, as is the non-fluted cylinder.

See?

As to the frame, the only difference is the rear sight ribs on the top strap.

Bob Wright
Old December 29, 2012, 12:30 PM   #9
PetahW

Black Mamba is correct - New Model Blackhawks, Vaquero's (not New Vaquero and NM Flat-Top BH) and NM Super Blackhawks have the same/larger NM Super Blackhawk frame.

(FWIW, New Models have two action pins ; Old Models have three action screws)

The only differences between the various New Models, besides the obvious chamberings, would be: material (carbon or stainless steel), barrel lengths (myriad), and gripframe configs (Birdshead, Bisley, BH, SBH, Vaquero, etc), and gripframe material (aluminum or steel) - plus grip panels, of course.

Old (3-Screw) Models are another story.

Old December 29, 2012, 12:33 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

Back before 1973, Ruger did offer the .44 Magnum in a gun they called the Blackhawk. In fact, they got the gun on the market slightly before S&W got their Model 29 on dealers shelves.

In 1973, Ruger changed the lockwork design of their SA guns. All the Blackhawks since then were named "New Model Blachawk", and the older guns came to be referred to by collectors as "old model".

The Super Blackhawk in old model configuration is very rare. The New Model Super Blackhawk is what is commonly seen. For many, many years it was only available in a 7.5" barrel. Today, several other configurations are available. Today, you can get a Super with a fluted cylinder and a round trigger guard. Stainless, if you want. Factory made to mount a scope, if you want. And, I understand there is also a "Blackhawk" model available in .44 Mag now, too.

The Super Blackhawk uses the New Model Blackhawk frame, but had a different (steel, dragoon style) grip frame, slightly longer than the regular Blackhawk. Grips do not interchange. The Super also had a non fluted cylinder, and a steel ejector rod housing (for added weight), and a lowered hammer spur and a grooved trigger.

There are several different guns found as "Blackhawks", the original, "flat top" old model, the New Model, and today some anniverserary guns made with old style frames and new style lockwork. I'm sure there are some variants I didn't mention, I'm not a Ruger collector, just an aquirer.

IF there is one thing Ruger sucks at, it is naming their guns so you can tell what they are in casual conversation. The Blackhawk is bad enough, but the Vaquero is worse!

With all the different variations Ruger has added through out its production history, the only way to be sure which "model" is to read what it says on the frame. For many many years SBH was easy to tell at a glance. Not so, today. If it is a .44 Mag, has a non fluted cylinder, and a dragoon style (square back) trigger guard it is a Super Blackhawk. If it doesn't, it still might be a Super, or it might be just a Blackhawk....
clear as mud, right?

To further add to the mix, used guns are sometimes found with replacement grip frames and other features. A friend of mine (a while back) picked up a pair of "Blackhawks", with 4.5" barrels, free spin cylinders, and BIRDSHEAD grip frames. Chambered in .44 MAGNUM!
Correction: Now that I think on it, I believe they were not blackhawks, but Vaqueros...

And, he had a Bisley hammer added to one of them, for easier cocking with his short thumbs! He hit me up for some ammo, and I gave him a box of LSWC reloads (240gr @1100fps). He told me afterwards how nasty the recoil was, and I advised him never to shoot the full magnum stuff. As far as I know, he hasn't shot them since. They look pretty, but are possibly the worst set up for full magnum power. My guess is the guy who had them set up that way played low power cowboy games, but got them chambered in the magnum, just in case he ever needed it.

Anyway, a used gun can have almost any combination of things from base stock to full custom. And may have been through several owners before finding its way to the shop for us to see. They can go from looking beat up, and still be perfect mechanically, to looking like new and having been heavily used/customized, and everything inbetween.
Old December 29, 2012, 03:57 PM   #11
cochise

44AMP Correct...............good info!!!

"And, I understand there is also a "Blackhawk" model available in .44 Mag now, too.

The Super Blackhawk uses the New Model Blackhawk frame, but had a different (steel, dragoon style) grip frame, slightly longer than the regular Blackhawk. Grips do not interchange. The Super also had a non fluted cylinder, and a steel ejector rod housing (for added weight), and a lowered hammer spur and a grooved trigger."

Ruger made a "special " run of blue .44 mag blackhawks. I bought one. I bought different grips for a SBH and they did not fit. I had to buy "Blackhawk" size grips like what was for a .357 mag. They then did the same for awhile in stainless steel. Very, very, confusing.
Old December 29, 2012, 04:27 PM   #12
Bob Wright

Just to show you how much variation one might find in Ruger Blackhawks, here is one of my New Model Blackhawks. It has the Super Blackhawk (Dragoon) style steel grip frame, and a non-fluted cylinder, as this was once a Bisley:

And this three-screw Blackhawk .44 Special was once a .357 Magnum, now has a steel grip grame.

And here's a couple of my three-screw Supers pretty well stock except for fitted with Blackhawk hammers, which I prefer. Bottom gun with brass grips frame, top one has been case hardened.

Bob Wright
Old December 29, 2012, 04:32 PM   #13
SteelChickenShooter

I have a super blackhawk and my pinkie hung off the bottom until I replaced the wooh grip panels with a rubber Hogue product with nice fat finger grooves.
Old December 30, 2012, 01:08 AM   #14
rclark

Quote:
Back before 1973,
... Just to add ... in 1956, Ruger called their first large frame flattop ... a Blackhawk. The .357 BH was introduced the previous year on the medium frame. In 1959 they introduced the Super Blackhawk to the world with the protective ears for the rear sight and the dragoon style grip.... I think it was 1962 or so they dropped the .44Mag BH. In around 1973 the .357 was also put on the large frame. The New Model as it is commonly called with the silly transfer bar and all. Until recently the .357, .44Mag, .30 Carbine, and .45 Colt were all on the same frame. Now we have the medium frame back with the New Vaquero, .44Spec and .45 Colt flattops. Now if they'd just put the .357 back on the medium frame where it belongs!

Through all the years the frame has been the same for .44Mag -- the large frame. SBH no different from BH size wise or strength wise.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old December 30, 2012, 01:47 AM   #15
Noreaster

Thanks for all the info. Very informative. I have to hold it and see if the grip is shorter. I like the idea of a 6.5 inch barrel.
Old December 30, 2012, 03:26 PM   #16
newrugersafan

Original 44 Blackhawks

44 Mag Vaquero

Old December 30, 2012, 05:26 PM   #17
Bob Wright

newrugersafan:

Those are beauties, the original three-screw Blackhawk .44s. Thanks for posting those, rarely get good photos of those.

For whatever its worth, I had to reread your signature a couple of times to get your meaning. Kept giving it an Italian dialect, as in "he's a-new Rugers a-fan."

With all due apologies to those of Italian descent.

Bob Wright