The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 12, 2005, 07:46 AM   #1
Igloodude

Good first IPSC/IDPA 1911 holster?

All,
I've recently gotten an 1911 (Springfield WW2 milspec) that I'm planning on using for Bullseye CMP leg matches, and would like to use it to dip my toe in local IDPA and IPSC competition as well. My carry gun is a little .380 (carried either in a pocket or in a PagerPal holster) and so unsuitable for any competition. I don't have a very IWB-friendly physique having a bit of a gut, but I wouldn't mind getting a couple pairs of jeans with enough extra waist to accomodate a 1911. Can anyone recommend introductory-level holsters (and mag pouches, etc) for me?
Old April 12, 2005, 09:08 AM   #2
Jim Watson

Never mind the jeans. I know a few relentlessly tactical IDPA shooters who wear IWBs to matches but if you are not going to carry that SA daily, a belt holster will be a better bet. And definitely for IPSC.
I use the Ready Tactical Products Kydex gear available from
www.pistolpacking.com
Old April 12, 2005, 09:41 AM   #3
Igloodude

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm missing something, though - doesn't IDPA require the firearm to be carried concealed, which I'm presuming (wrongly, I guess) would mandate IWB?
Old April 12, 2005, 12:53 PM   #4
Gunfyter

IDPA Holster

What IDPA wants is a cover garment to cover the weapon. You can use an IWB holster but pretty much all the shooters I've seen use a belt holster, either kydex or leather. From there its your choice. Go to the IDPA website and look at the rule book for legal holsters.
Old April 13, 2005, 07:43 AM   #5
Old Shooter

Concealed for IDPA/IPSC is not concealed for the real world. Gunfyter is right in that a shooter's vest (like the one worn for clay targets) is all that is required. You must be able to put your arms out and still cover your gun. IWB holsters are at a dissadvantage to the Kydex ones that are slicker so that your gun comes out a little cleaner; they are a little further out from your body and not as tight.

Check ou the IDPA website to see the new rule book on holsters and equipment. http://www.idpa.com/menu.htm
Old April 15, 2005, 08:28 AM   #6
ampleworks

Head on over to Blade-Tech (www.blade-tech.com), they'll get you fixed up. Some of the best Kydex holsters you'll find. If getting this for IDPA, make sure you don't get a Drop & Offset style as it'll be illegal to use (unless you're female)
Old April 15, 2005, 05:22 PM   #7
AustinMike

I'm just getting into IPSC. For my starter rig, I got an Uncle's Mikes Kydex holster for my 1911 and a couple of their Kydex dual magazine holsters. Less than $15 each. Didn't want to spend too much money, since I can see myself really getting into the sport and wanting better gear. I also ordered some Chip McCormick Power 10 mags from Midway. For IDPA, I think you're restricted to 8 rounds though.
Old April 17, 2005, 05:50 AM   #8
Old Shooter

IDPA CDP division is restricted to 8 in a mag but the first mag can have a "Barney round" since you need to start with 8+1. BUT if your gun can hold 10 rounds, you can shoot it in ESP division. AND if it can hold 10 rounds and is DA, you can shoot it in SSP too.
Old April 17, 2005, 02:46 PM   #9
nonquixote

For IDPA a .45 caliber 1911 is de facto restricted to 8+1 since most 10 round mags won't fit in "the box". Double stacks excepted.

As to a first holster, I've been very happy with my Safariland 560 "Custom Fit" paddle holster. Costs about $80-90, but has the virtue of being adjustable to fit most any semi-auto in my collection. The paddle holds very securely and I've used it for everything from my compact CZ PCR in SSP to my full sized Kimber in CDP.

Nonq
Old April 24, 2005, 07:32 PM   #10
XD Niner

I use the same basic setup as AustinMike for USPSA Limited 10. The only minor difference is that I use Fobus mag carriers. The Uncle Mikes holster was less than $20 but works great. I used the rig today (holster, 2 double mag holders and five 10-round CMC mags) and was easily able to keep up with many shooters with $200 holsters. It is really how well you can shoot that determines how well you do. The wiz-bang accessories offer only a minor advantage.
Old April 25, 2005, 03:01 PM   #11
Patrick Graham

Quote:
I'm just getting into IPSC. For my starter rig, I got an Uncle's Mikes Kydex holster for my 1911 and a couple of their Kydex dual magazine holsters.....................................................
I "Was" using Uncle Mikes Kydex holsters for Glock and Beretta in both IDPA and IPSC.. Best deal for the money..

But I can't use them in IDPA anymore because they adopted a "No Light" rule.. you shouldn't be able to see light between the holster and the belt..

Now I can only use them in IPSC..