The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 8, 2012, 05:49 PM   #1
datboiryan

AR15 bolt stuck with round in chamber

Was going out to test some new loads a few minutes ago and the first round didn't seem to chamber properly so I went to pull back on the charging handle and it wouldn't budge but maybe 1/8". Just enough to unlatch itself.

Should I try to "mortaring" it or is there something else I can do first?

Sorry for the bad pics. It was with my iphone.

Last edited by datboiryan; December 8, 2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old December 8, 2012, 06:04 PM   #2
hodaka

That happens to me every now and then. Slam the butt on the ground while pulling the handle, keeping clear of the muzzle of course. That is about all you can do. I have had to result in a screwdriver once to pry the bolt back. It worked but it scratched my port.
Old December 8, 2012, 06:07 PM   #3
datboiryan

Do you think I should try to pry the bolt back with a flathead screwdriver first? Or just go straight to the mortar technique?
Old December 8, 2012, 06:21 PM   #4
datboiryan

Well I just got it out.

Got a fixed blade knife and wrapped the blade with some duct tape to not scratch it out. Since the bolt wasn't fully locked into place, I stuck the knife into the magwell and pried it loose. There wasn't hardly any force needed and the bullet came out with it.

I don't know what caused it yet but will report back with my findings. I may not have set up the resizing die correctly. It was the first time using the new ones so that is my guess right now.
Old December 8, 2012, 06:22 PM   #5
Ridge_Runner_5

The only time that ever happened to me was I had not properly crimped the round, and the bullet collapsed into the casing.

It happened at the range, and the RO was tapping a wooden rod down the barrel while I was pulling on the charging handle to get it out.
Old December 8, 2012, 06:40 PM   #6
hodaka

Good! It must not have been too badly stuck. Typically the mortar technique, as you call it, is the standard way to clear a jam.
Old December 9, 2012, 12:21 AM   #7
the led farmer

Check to make sure you didn't buckle the shoulder. You can tell by a mushroom shape at the shoulder. It's caused by having the seating/crimp die set improperly that causes the crimp ring to be too deep. As you seat the bullet and/or crimp the case is jammed into the crimp ring, the weakest poimt gives causing the shoulder to buckle.

Like so: not so bad on top to downright ugly on the bottom

Old December 9, 2012, 09:39 AM   #8
BPowderkeg

in my OPINION.., 98.5% of reloaders AR failure to lock up are due to the following photos, some are so slight it is unnoticeable, those are the ones that are most troublesome.

i use a Lee "factory crimp" die, it sometimes gets stuck and all the following loads will look like the case in the middle, if not unstuck.
Old December 9, 2012, 02:30 PM   #9
Erno86

For semi autos...you need full case resizing on your reloads. On collapsible stocks, the stock should be collapsed --- all the way in --- doing the mortar method. It is against the rules on our range, to perform the vertical mortar method. It is legal to do the mortar method, while the gun is pointed at the backstop, while banging the butt of stock against the rifle bench --- while pulling on the charging handle.

My favorite method...is to use a rubber mallet, against the charging handle; otherwise, a steel hammer can be used, along with the use of a wooden block against the charging handle.

The chamber...might need some steel chamber bore brushing.