The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 31, 2008, 04:33 PM   #1
12gaugesage

Richards Mason Conversion sights.......

Ok so I got a Uberti R/Mason conversion and it hits about 3" high at 10yds.
I know on a regular Colt BP revolver I would just file down the notch in the hammer a bit, but can I file the rear sight on this down too?
Old July 31, 2008, 04:56 PM   #2
sundance44s

Thats not bad for 10 yards ...a taller front sight would fix it ..or like you said fileing the rear sight would too ...but ..from past experience , first I would try some different loads ..maybe lighter bullets and such and I`ve had one that the POA changed after it broke in good ..
I`ve got an 1871 open top on order from Taylors right now ...wish it would hurry up and get here ..The shipping to my FFL is always slow .
I bought the one chambered for 45 schofield ...I switched all my loading to the 45 Schofield rounds ...little lighter punch without adding fillers in the 45 colt brass , could have got it in 44 center fire also ..but I`m just not set up to reload those .
Old August 1, 2008, 10:38 AM   #3
CraigC

Quote:
I`ve got an 1871 open top on order from Taylors right now
My Cimarron shoots pretty much to POA. I typically use 4.0gr Titegroup under a 240gr SWC or 200gr RNFP. Shamefully, I have not shot the 1860 Richards Type II enough to know how it will do. Both are .44Colts. They seem to have slightly taller front sights than their percussion brethren.

I would hate to file on the hammer. Steve Young can put a taller dovetail front sight on that sixshooter. I've got my eye on the 1851 Richards/Mason 4¾" .38Spl. If need be, I'll have Steve install a dovetail front sight. Might be able to get away with just sending him the barrel.

http://www.stevesgunz.com
Old August 1, 2008, 10:58 AM   #4
Hawg

I second Steve Young. He is the man especially when it comes to slicking up a Rossi 92 but he can do it all.
Old August 2, 2008, 05:33 PM   #5
12gaugesage

Thanks yall, I may have to have a new front sight installed. I just dont want to file down the rear sight and then have it stick out cause theres no case coloring. I have the .38 special one in the 61 navy by the way. Its a pretty gun, and the action is pretty smooth, so she might be worth the effort on the sights.

Thanks