The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 17, 2016, 07:33 AM   #1
Don P

Gun confscation

Quote:
You must not have been around during Ray Nagin's order to confiscate the guns in New Orleans during Katrina and his refusal to give them back. Also, this: http://www.offthegridnews.com/self-d...oast-to-coast/
I copied this from a closed thread to respond. I am friends with a former deputy sheriff from New Orleans and the above started when the Federal government got to town and sealed the city off. No one in and no one out. The city of New Orleans did not does not have the personal to do what was done. The feds were in big numbers walking the streets going house to house that were still occupied. As I stated gun grab came with the feds and the city was placed under Marshall law. This came to me by someone who worked the city first hand
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 17, 2016, 08:59 AM   #2
45_auto

I was a deputy sheriff in the area at the time. The gun confiscation direction came from the mayor and police chief of New Orleans.

Never heard of "Marshall Law", I'm assuming you mean "martial law".

Who do you believe placed the city under martial law? It was declared a disaster area, but there is no such thing as "martial law" in Louisiana. There were half-a**ed military and law enforcement yahoos "helping out" from all over the country at the time pretty much doing what they wanted to. Might be a good time to check with your friend and get your facts straight.

https://www.thetrace.org/2015/08/nra...-confiscation/

Quote:
A week later, New Orleans police superintendent Edwin P. Compass III earned infamy with a widely publicized call for blanket confiscation. “Only law enforcement are allowed to have weapons,” he decreed, a policy formed and carried out incompetently, with little regard for legal implications in the storm-blown leadership vacuum.
https://www.propublica.org/nola/stor...icane-katrina/

Quote:
Scott's address came at a moment of widespread confusion over whether authorities had imposed martial law, a phrase used by then-Mayor Ray Nagin on the radio. In fact, martial law does not exist under Louisiana's constitution. But experts in police training said the use of those words by politicians and in news reports may have fueled perceptions that the rules had changed.

The confusion over whether martial law had been declared was widely reported at the time. But until now, it was not known that some within the police force interpreted it to authorize shooting of looters who posed no direct threat.

Last edited by 45_auto; November 17, 2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old November 17, 2016, 07:30 PM   #3
Mainah

I remember the Feds struggling to pluck people off of roofs and highway overpasses. And I remember a poor federal response that followed an even worse state government response. But the government did succeed in confiscating a whole bunch of buses that could have helped with evacuation.
Old November 17, 2016, 07:31 PM   #4
Evan Thomas

Typically, when we close threads, we do so for a reason. Usually it's because we see no value in continuing the discussion. I'm about to close this one, for a couple of reasons.

(1) Copying something from a closed thread in order to respond to it isn't a very good idea. If we had wanted the discussion to continue, we would have left the thread open.

(2) Hurricane Katrina and the events that followed took place over 10 years ago. This horse is really most sincerely dead, stinking and rotten and gone to its eternal reward. Continuing to flog it will only make a nasty mess which staff would prefer not to have to clean up. We always get stuck with the really icky jobs around here.