The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 26, 2001, 01:21 AM   #1
bradster

Feedramp Polishing On A Mak Question

putting my newly purchased dremel to the test,i polished the feedramps of my 5 maks using MAAS polishing compound and the dremel felt wheel and polishing tip.now it's nice and smooth and shiney.but there are still some horizontal machining lines visible-the attachments that came with the dremel look a little too abrasive to use for this purpose.is there a model # of a sanding/polishing tip that should be used? more abrasive than the felt tips but less harsh than what my kit came with? TIA to all
Happy Holidays!
Old December 26, 2001, 09:11 AM   #2
HankL

The Dremel Tool is a great item for all sorts of work including polishing the feed ramps of malfunctioning firearms. What sort of failures were you having with your five Maks in the first place?
Are they any better now after the initial polish job?
You can use valve lapping compound on the felt tips for a more aggressive cut but I would advise working on them one at the time and check for function as you go. This is all assuming no magazine or ammo problems.
HTH
Old December 26, 2001, 10:09 AM   #3
bradster

hello HankL-HP's were getting hung up on the ramp in a couple of the maks,i haven't even shot 3 of my brood (recent purchase) i just haven't made it to the range (yet).i figured it wouldn't do any harm to use the dremel on all 5 while i was at it.just wondered if i need to polish out all visible tool marks to wind up with the best possible scenario for getting these HP's down the throat without hanging up.thanks.