The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 12, 2011, 12:02 AM   #1
idek

troublesome shell lifter on Winchester 1300

I have a relative who's having problems with the shell lifter sticking on his Winchester 1300. It's staying up, so when the next shell is pushed out of the magazine tube, it just falls out the bottom of the gun. I did a quick google search, and saw that other people have had this problem. However, I didn't see any solutions.

Does anyone know if this is a simple fix? Could I just get a new spring from Brownells and replace it? Or is this something a gunsmith should do?
Old June 25, 2011, 11:27 AM   #2
RMcL

Shell stop problem.

The problem you describe is early shell release caused by a worn or loose shell stop not the lifter. Solution: replace shell stops.

The 1200/1300 bolt forces the lifter back down, so if the lifter were sticking the shell coming out of the magazine would jam against the front of the lifter.

Note: 1200/1300 shell stops are held inplace by rivets. If the rivet is loose the shell stop malfunctions. This is a common problem with Winchester's 1200/1300/Speed Pump series.