The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old October 24, 2013, 08:11 PM   #1
vtxmauser

French MAS 1936 "H" pic thread

Purchased this one today, don't know too much about them but have a lot of reading to do. Anyone here have one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg French MAS 36 H 001.jpg (280.2 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg French MAS 36 H 002.jpg (208.2 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg French MAS 36 H 003.jpg (260.3 KB, 92 views)
Old October 24, 2013, 09:10 PM   #2
tahunua001

I have one. mine is beat to hell, yours looks beautiful in comparison. mine is a K series made somewhere between late 1944 and early 1945. the zero on mine is off by a great margin and the sights are not adjustable. instead you have to buy a rear sight with the peep drilled in a different place but you can't find them anymore, not to mention there were two different styles of them made between pre war and post war models.
Old October 25, 2013, 02:00 PM   #3
Gebirg

Thats a nice gun
Old October 25, 2013, 05:04 PM   #4
sixteenacrewood

I love the look of these, if they shoot as cool as they look, I want one!
Old October 25, 2013, 06:51 PM   #5
rdmallory

Now you done it. Next you will be looking for a MAS-49/56

Doug
Old October 25, 2013, 07:22 PM   #6
tahunua001

Quote:
I love the look of these, if they shoot as cool as they look, I want one!
I've got one if you're interested
Old October 25, 2013, 07:23 PM   #7
Famas

"H" prefix series definitely places it withing the war years, most likely early 1940 and up to June of that year....when production ceased for obvious reasons. Immediate liberation series (mid to late 1944 and onwards) began with "K" prefixes. These also featured the hooded front sights. The front sights on your are open....further evidence of it being 1939-40 vintage. If you are lucky, the bayo will have matching numbers. If not, a wartime bayo will have serial numbers on the side of the lug, as opposed to post-war two digits stamped on the cap. Prewar bayos also lacked a drain hole, though I believe some were modified to such after the war.

There is only one way to be 100% absolutely certain of what year it was manufactured - the date is stamped on the barrel, just forward of the breech. To view this, you will need to disassemble the rifle, primarily the middle barrel band. Once this is removed, the upper handgaurd should easily come off revealing the date. (on rifles with unaltered stocks, this can also be seen in the form of a circular cartouche stamped on the right side of the butt stock, showing month and year.).

Careful though, as was typical of many European military rifle designs, removing furniture on the rifle requires a special spanner bit. If you have a Dremel tool, you can notch two flathead screwdrivers yourself...one will be smaller than the other. I believe the middle barrel band is the smaller of the two.

I collect war time MAS-36s of wartime era and have 3 of them, and working on a fourth rifle. Two are dated 1939 and one 1940.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your MAS-36! Take care of it because the war time rifles are becoming scarce!

edit: I took a quick look at one of my MAS-36 rifles, and realized I forgot one detail.......the front band/nose cap will have to be removed as well. Also has tiny little split screw necessitating a tiny spanner. I have a spanner bit set, and they just don't quite fit these little screws, so in all likelihood, you will have to notch your own.

Last edited by Famas; October 25, 2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old October 25, 2013, 08:10 PM   #8
ohen cepel

I really enjoy shooting them. The French did well on this rifle in my mind except for the lack of a safety. The bolt is odd but I think well designed. Much better ergonomics than a Nagant.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old October 27, 2013, 06:08 PM   #9
chiefr

I picked up one of these in mint unfired condition many years ago. You need to find some Prvi ammo and blast away! They are tack drivers.
Old December 1, 2013, 03:47 PM   #10
MJ1

;) Hmmmmmm? Nice.

Years ago we made some ammo from .284 Winchester brass and 168g and 150g SMKs before there was any NC ammo around. Sorry but I can't recall if one was better than the other both shot well. I think there are two short films on how to replicate the ammo in u-tube.
- David Hackworth -