The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 1, 2013, 01:14 AM   #1
marine6680

First reloads range success

As I mentioned before.

For an AR with 5.56 chamber
PPU Brass, trimmed to 1.75
Hornady 55gr FMJ seated to 2.2
CCI #41 primers
H4198 powder 19gr, 20gr, 20.5gr, 21gr loads

Some people reported cycling issues with this powder in ARs unless using near max loads. I had no issues even at the starting load.

I tested each load in turn with several rounds loaded for each. At 20.5gr the primer and marks on the brass looked to my admittedly novice eyes, that 21gr would have been fine but definitely a max.

Due to the success of all the lighter loads, I did not try the 21gr loads, I will probably pull them to recover the components.

In the end, I think I will be using this powder to load at 20gr for general plinking rounds.

I managed to snag a couple pounds of H335 at a local shop, so after I get through the H4198, I will be working up loads with it.

So all in all, I didn't blow up so I am calling this a success.

Unrelated to reloading, I did experience my first weak round ever. I have fired many thousands of rounds... I couldn't even begin to guess the real number. And I know I have fired several thousand 22lr, most from bulk packs in the last couple years alone... But today I had a 22lr from a Federal bulk pack go "POP" rather than "BANG". I had to check the bore and all was good, so I continued on. My fiance was with me, so she got to experience the difference and knows what to look for now. I have taught her the proper way to deal with a squib but seeing it first hand is always good.
Old December 1, 2013, 04:58 AM   #2
NHSHOOTER

I load 335 for my 223 bolt gun with great results and I did get a 1/2 in 3 shot group at 200 yds with a 52 gr HPBT sierra over 26.5 grs of IMR 4895. Also loaded some of the new CFE 223 with good results.
Old December 3, 2013, 06:38 PM   #3
pathdoc

You didn't blow up and you found a mid-range load that suits your purposes and won't hammer your gun to bits. I'd call that a rewarding day on the range. Good to hear!