The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 17, 2012, 01:47 PM   #1
RedBowTies88

Loading "bi-metal" bullets?...

Has anyone ever done it? Can you even find bi-metal bullets for reloading? One would imagine they would be insanely cheap looking at the prices of loaded ammunition.

motivation for doing so would be that I could carry 7.62x25 ammo thats known for its penetration ability without the corrosive powder behind it. That and plus the only surplus on the market right now is polish and it isn't loaded as hot as the others...
Old December 19, 2012, 06:22 PM   #2
Newton24b

whats your definition of a bi metal bullet? the only thing ive ever heard of "bi metal" bullets was a few years ago in a really good scam to perpetrated on the government by a company that was trying to sell commercially made, conventional jacketed softpoints to the military as "frangible' ammo.
Old December 19, 2012, 06:54 PM   #3
Marco Califo

Bimetal bullets look like copper fmj but stick to a magnet. Copper plated steel over the lead. They are typical in military including US. They load the same as fmj. Many sellers don't know the difference.
As to marketing, maybe Hornady will sell them as "Bi-max" with a new color tip.

Last edited by Marco Califo; December 19, 2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old December 19, 2012, 08:32 PM   #4
snuffy

Quote:
motivation for doing so would be that I could carry 7.62x25 ammo that's known for its penetration ability without the corrosive powder behind it. That and plus the only surplus on the market right now is polish and it isn't loaded as hot as the others...
It's NOT the powder that's corrosive, it's the primer compound,(the stuff that makes it able to start the powder burning.

If by bi-metal you mean common FMJ military ball ammo, then it's what you get when you order pulled military bullets. Most are copper plated steel jacketed , lead core bullets.

Armour piercing bullets are usually copper plated steel jacketed, with a hardened steel core, there may be some lead as well.

Is your main objective to defeat bullet proof vests?

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 19, 2012, 11:38 PM   #5
reloader28

I always figured all jacketed bullets were bi-metal.
Copper jacket and lead core seems bi-metal to me.
I guess a cast bullet or solid copper bullet would be a uni-metal.
Old December 19, 2012, 11:50 PM   #6
Jimro

Quote:
Is your main objective to defeat bullet proof vests?
Don't need FMJ's to defeat kevlar vests. Need Level 4 SAPI plates to stop a rifle bullet from any modern hunting rifle. Level 3 "soft" vests are generally designed to stop 9mm or 45ACP level ballistics, so even some of the magnums and "screamer" rounds like the 7.62 Tok would punch through Lvl3 reliably. That is why you have some vests called, "Level 3 Alpha" to indicate it was designed to stop those pistol rounds that normally penetrate level 3 vests, but not providing the Level 4 hard inserts that will stop a rifle round.

If you really want to know, common lead nose spitzer bullets will punch right through any "soft" body armor. Pistols are pistols, and rifles are rifles. That is why so many of us get our dander up whenever the Brady Bunch or VPC starts a campaign to ban "armor piercing ammunition" as it would stop the sale of all normal velocity rifle ammo.

Jimro
Old December 20, 2012, 12:37 PM   #7
RedBowTies88

With all the wacko's running around today with body armor I figure I have little to loose carrying bullets with a reputation of penetrating soft armor over hollow points.

I've experianced this type of bullet in several different cartridges and have come to realize that the bi-metal steel jacket bullets penetrate the best across the board.. even in comparison to m855 out of a 5.56.
Old December 20, 2012, 12:44 PM   #8
RedBowTies88

Quote:
I always figured all jacketed bullets were bi-metal.
Copper jacket and lead core seems bi-metal to me.
I guess a cast bullet or solid copper bullet would be a uni-metal.
The appropriate way I should if worded it is "bi-metal jacket" I appologize for the confusion.
Old December 20, 2012, 05:12 PM   #9
Jimro

Redbowties88,

Your location says, "New Jersey" where hollowpoints are illegal last I checked, at least for handguns. If you are talking "open tip match bullets" for rifle, those will punch through soft body armor just fine.

M855 penetrates just fine, don't know where you got data saying that a bimetal jacket FMJ would penetrate better than an SS109 bullet. Not that it matters, at rifle velocities even soft points will punch right through.

Jimro