The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 4, 2007, 09:10 AM   #1
mikejonestkd

Deer/ hogs and assorted varmints in S.C.

dad is moving to Columbia this winter.

He is in the market for a new barrel for his encore with the following restrictions:

He had his shoulder rebuilt and can not handle the recoil of any -06 based cartridge or larger.

I just bought him a TC prohunter flex stock which should take the kick out of and midsized centerfire that he choses to hunt with.

He would like a do-it-all barrel for whitetails, the occasional varmint, and possibly hogs.

he already has a .22 hornet, a .223 and a .22-250 in rifle barrels, so if he is in the mood for serious varminting then he is already set.

He has had good success with a 15" 243 win pistol for NY whitetails, and from what I gander they are smaller in SC than the corn fed ones up here.

My thought was to get a 24" .243 and use 95 gr NBTs for deer and 100 gr partitions for hogs....

So,

Caliber suggestions anyone?
Old September 4, 2007, 09:42 AM   #2
45Marlin carbine

Just my opine the .243 will do with good shot placement. hogs have that tough hide/layer of dense fat in the neck/shoulder area you know. I've killed three, 2 small boars and one 300 lb. sow. 1 of the boars I took with 10 shots from a Ruger 10/22 mini-mags. I wasn't expecting a hog hunt when I went to a buddy's place in Nantahala he just said 'bring a gun with you'. and discounted seeing anything as it was dern COLD but it ran out down the mountain at me. it was dressed out right at 100 lb.
I took another dressed out 100 lb.er with a '58 Rem BP revolver knocked it's skull top off with a shot from a ground blind.
the sow I took with a ROA it was sort of ambling along past my blind and I shot little too far back to take out the heart and had to track it aways and give it another whack into base of skull when I found it piled up in thicket,it was about gone anyway. good luck I'm hoping to get onto some land around Anderson if things go right for hog myself this winter.
Old September 4, 2007, 03:36 PM   #3
castnblast

243 or 22-250 are excellent choices...I know someone is going to HARP on the 22-250, but do a search under my posts around May and take a look at ACTUAL tissue damage on a whitetail shot w/ a 55gr Sierra Game King soft point. These deer here are about the same size as what you are going to run across. As for hogs, head/neck shots work wonders w/ that round. (That's where I shoot all my hogs, even when I used to use my .300 win mag...) I had the shoulder problem too, that's why I went w/ it. He'll probably want to get into reloading...Lots of fun, and you can make the premium rounds for $4.00/box instead of paying $20.00+ for the same round. It pays for the equipment real fast.
Old September 4, 2007, 04:49 PM   #4
FirstFreedom

.243 Win
.30-30 Win
7mm-30 Waters
.250-3000 Savage
.257 Roberts

Prolly one of those for the uses you describe with a bum shoulder. I'd lean toward .30-30 win or 7-30 Waters, for hogs. Good luck & let us know which you get.