The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 11, 2011, 04:58 PM   #1
osirus101

Places you can't CCW?

The title is pretty much self explanatory. I'm looking for a list of places you can't carry i.e. schools federal buildings.. and maybe just some general rules or guidelines etc.. It's a pretty new concept for me.

Thanks
Old September 11, 2011, 04:59 PM   #2
Kreyzhorse

www.handgunlaw.us is a great place to start.
Old September 11, 2011, 05:02 PM   #3
TheNocturnus

Where I live, Missouri, I cant take my protection with me in the Post Office or any other Government building, also public transportation is a no-no. Schools are also out, college campuses included. Some businesses will have a no-guns sign outside but it is not a crime if I carry there.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old September 11, 2011, 05:12 PM   #4
Don H

There is no comprehensive list other than the list of prohibited federal locations - places prohibited by states vary widely. For example: here in Utah we can legally ignore "No Guns" signage in just about every private property other than churches, residences and secure mental facilities (the trespassing statute may come into play if asked to leave and one refuses). We can carry in bars and drink as long as we don't exceed the limits set for driving. We can legally carry in hospitals, state and local govenment buildings (except for courts and those places that have specified secure areas), public schools, public transportation, banks, sports facilities, polling places, state and local parks, National Forests and Parks, probably other places I can't think of right off-hand. Many of the places I listed would be illegal in other states.
Old September 11, 2011, 05:44 PM   #5
C0untZer0

In Illinois I cannot carry a firearm on any form of public transportation.

Also, in Illinois I can not take a firearm into any type of school or campus or any type of government building.

I cannot take a firearm into any place that cuts hair, styles hair, does "permanents", dyes or colorizes hair, does manicure or pedicures.

In Illinois it is against the law to have a firearm on your person as a customer of an eatery, a restaurant, or bar & grill. It is also against the law to have a firearm on your person in a tavern or any place that serves alcohol. It is illegal to carries or possesses any firearm, stun gun or taser or other deadly weapon in any place which is licensed to sell intoxicating beverages, or at any public gathering held pursuant to a license issued by any governmental body or any public gathering at which an admission is charged, excluding a place where a showing, demonstration or lecture involving the exhibition of unloaded firearms is conducted.

I cannot take a firearm into a grocery store or any establishment that sells fruits and vegetables, including outdoor open "Farmer's Markets".

I can't take a firearm into a strip club.

In Illinois it is against the law to have a firearm on your person as a customer of any business that provides brake services for automobiles, as well as any automotive repair place that changes, repairs or replaces mufflers, as well as any automotive repair place that changes, repairs or replaces shock absorbers or struts, or any automotive repair place that changes, repairs or replaces transmissions, any automotive repair place that does auto body repair work, to include but not limited to replacing windshields and other automotive glass, as well as any automotive repair place that changes, replenishes or replaces engine fluids such as but not limited to: engine oil, transmission fluid, radiator fluid, and or windshield wiper fluid.

I can't take a firearm into a strip club.

In Illinois it is against the law to take a firearm into a dentist's office, or into a doctor's office as well as any dental or medical clinic, hospital or medical treatment facility, to include but not limited to any psychiatric or mental health facilities.

In Illinois it is against the law to take a firearm to, or to have a firearm on your person as a customer on the premises of any business that dispenses jet fuel, heating oil, automotive fuel or any fuel for internal combustion engines to include but not limited to gasoline and or diesel.

You can't take a firearm into a strip club.

It is against the law to take a firearm into a retail establishment known as a “convenience store.”

It is against the law to take a firearm into a retail establishment known as a “department store.”

In Illinois it is against the law to take a firearm to, or to have a firearm on your person on the premises of any property or conglomeration of properties where retail establishments are connected or joined, share a common walkway, and or easement, or share the same roof or overhang, or any area that is commonly known as a “mall”, including but not limited to indoor or outdoor malls.

I can’t take a firearm into any store with a name that rhymes with the word “Orange”.

In Illinois it is illegal for a person to carry or possesses in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person except when on his land or in his own abode, legal dwelling, or fixed place of business, or on the land or in the legal dwelling of another person as an invitee with that person's permission, any pistol, revolver, stun gun or taser or other firearm, except that this subsection (a) (4) does not apply to or affect transportation of weapons that meet one of the following conditions:

(i) are broken down in a non‑functioning state; or
(ii) are not immediately accessible; or
(iii) are unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container

and then – only by a person who has been issued a currently valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card.

Last edited by C0untZer0; September 11, 2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old September 11, 2011, 06:01 PM   #6
Don Glock

you can own a gun in IL?
Old September 11, 2011, 06:22 PM   #7
lee n. field

Quote:
The title is pretty much self explanatory. I'm looking for a list of places you can't carry i.e. schools federal buildings.. and maybe just some general rules or guidelines etc.. It's a pretty new concept for me.
Illinois

(Illinois has no provision for concealed carry outside one's own residence or fixed place of business. Open carry only in unincorporated rural areas.)
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old September 11, 2011, 06:56 PM   #8
bob.a

Maryland.
New Jersey.
New York.
Massachusetts.
California.
Illinois.
Hawaii.

Of course, there are exceptions if you're exceptionally wealthy or well-connected. But if you're simply tax fodder, fuggedaboudit.
Old September 13, 2011, 08:26 AM   #9
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I was going to comment that I did not believe IL had CCW. So are any of those laws on the books (as a means of additionally charging people that break the law) or is the whole list just a facetious and ridiculously time consuming way to spend a Sunday?
Old September 13, 2011, 08:39 AM   #10
serf 'rett

Arkansas - the general places one would expect -federal buildings, courts, law enforcement buildings, schools, colleges, bars, businesses with no guns allowed signs - but the real tail twisters are:

1. Large gatherings, such as a football game or sporting event or State Fair!

2. A private home other than your own. We must inform a homeowner we have a concealed weapon and ask their permission to bring said weapon into their home. Bummer!
Old September 13, 2011, 09:28 AM   #11
MGMorden

It varies by state. Here in SC, off the top of my head:

1. Any publicly owned building (governments, post offices, even public libraries and such).
2. Any medical facility unless you have specific permission from whoever is in charge.
3. Any religious building unless you have specific permission from the head clergy.
4. Any location where alcohol is sold "for consumption on the premises" - no 51% rule like other places. If they sell ANY alcohol intended for immediate consumption that counts. That knocks out most restaurants (you can even order a beer at Pizza Hut - that puts it on the no-no list).
5. Any person's private residence without the permission.
6. Any property which is posted with a properly formatted "No Concealable Weapons" sign. Improperly formatted signs are far more common, but if they do it right, then the sign is indeed legally binding.

We also can't open carry at all unless you are a hunter or fisherman in possession of a valid hunting/fishing license, and either engaged in hunting/fishing or in transit to or from that activity.
Old September 14, 2011, 10:28 AM   #12
C0untZer0

I didn't have anything to do on Sunday...
Old September 14, 2011, 05:36 PM   #13
Nordeste

So it looks like it's pretty bad in Illinois, Countzero . I have a friend who used to be a Chicago cop and moved to Kentucky when he got retired, and says he's quite happy there. He's not that much a gun person (though he shoots regularly and is efficient enough at it) but it looks like his wife, whom I also met, is an avid shotgun shooter and enjoys hunting around the area they live at.

How is it like in Kentucky for the matter referred to in this thread, then?. Just curious. What states are more "gun unfriendly"?. This Euro friend of yours wants to know! .
Old September 14, 2011, 05:54 PM   #14
AROutdoorSoldier

Idaho

In Idaho the only places we can't carry are schools and the normal federal no-no places. Open carry is legal with the same restrictions. We love guns in this state. Idaho is also a Shall Issue state also.
Old September 15, 2011, 05:15 AM   #15
Sixer

Wait.... there are places you can't CCW!?

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old September 15, 2011, 06:32 AM   #16
Qtiphky

Wisconsin - not until November 1 of this year. They do not allow it. Then Illinois will be the only state in the union where you cannot.

Here in Michigan, the usual suspects: no federal buildings, schools (although you may carry in your vehicle as long as you are only picking up or dropping off and you don't leave your vehicle), college campuses, churches and any establishment that you can reasonably assume that more than half of their revenue is derived from alcohol sales, and hospitals. I don't remember if their are any more, I have been carrying for so long and become so trained of where not to go that I don't go to those places anymore. It is listed on the back of my CPL (concealed pistol license) card. I check the list and website every so often, but haven't seen any changes in years.
Old September 15, 2011, 07:07 AM   #17
postmaster

Glad I'm in Tennessee!

Dang I think I would have to move out of IL, it figures that idiot in the White House comes from there. Srry didn't mean to get political.
Old September 15, 2011, 09:55 AM   #18
Cricoid

Here are the restrictions in KY:

A concealed firearm or other deadly weapon SHALL NOT be carried in the following places:

Police station or sheriff's office.
Detention facility, prison or jail.
Courthouse (Court of Justice, courtroom or court proceeding).
County, municipal, or special district governing body meetings.
Meeting of governing body of a county, municipality, or special district.
General Assembly session, including committee meetings.
Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose.
Elementary or secondary school facilities (without the consent of school authorities).
Child-caring facilities, day care centers, or any certified family child care home.
Areas within an airport where restricted access is controlled by the inspection of persons or property.
Any place where federal law prohibits the carrying of a firearm.
In addition to the above restrictions, units of state and local governments and postsecondary education facilities (colleges, universities, technical schools and community colleges) have the authority to limit the carrying of concealed weapons on property owned or controlled by them (KRS 237.115). You should check with units of state and local government as well as postsecondary education facilities prior to carrying a concealed weapon on their property.

Also, KRS 527.070 prohibits unlawful possession (whether carried openly or concealed) of a weapon on school property, except for certain specified exceptions. KRS 244.125 prohibits loaded firearms (concealed or otherwise) in places where alcohol is sold by the drink, except for certain specified exceptions.

In addition, Kentucky law does not prohibit the owners of private premises from excluding persons carrying firearms. Failure to vacate private premises when asked to do so could result in a criminal trespass charge.
Old September 15, 2011, 10:10 AM   #19
Hardcase

Quote:
In Idaho the only places we can't carry are schools and the normal federal no-no places. Open carry is legal with the same restrictions. We love guns in this state. Idaho is also a Shall Issue state also.
I love our state

Also, concealed carry without a permit is legal outside of city limits.
Old September 15, 2011, 10:14 AM   #20
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob.a View Post
Maryland.
New Jersey.
New York.
Massachusetts.
California.
Illinois.
Hawaii.

Of course, there are exceptions if you're exceptionally wealthy or well-connected. But if you're simply tax fodder, fuggedaboudit.
Bob A,

You do know that New York State is not synonymous with New York City... don't you?

Upstate New York has better gun rights/laws than many supposed "pro gun" states.

I've lived my whole life in Central/Southern NY. I know DOZENS of people with handgun permits, most of whom have concealed carry permits and many who carry daily.

Our only restrictions are generally Federal and state buildings and schools.

Virtually ALL OTHER areas in NY are carry safe.
Old September 15, 2011, 10:19 AM   #21
warrior poet

It isn't illegal everywhere, but it does fall under "not being dumb" and that is any place where YOU consume alcohol.
Old September 15, 2011, 12:07 PM   #22
mrray13

C0unterZer0, I got a nice laugh out of your post, lol. Although I can carry pretty much everywhere in the US, including Illinois, there are even a few places state/county/city and maybe even some federal level LEOs can't carry.

On most flights.

In most, if not all, Federal Court houses.

Cruise ships.

And that's about it. And the cruise ship/plane thing, I'm not 100% certain about. I can take a class to certify to carry on a plane, but was told that it didn't carry weight on a Federal level.

Also, an Illinoisian, with a valid FOID, can indeed carry on their person, a concealed weapon when they meet the FOID card requirement and the unloaded and secured in a case requirement. Does that mean you won't get charged in some local areas? Nope. As I've read here, I wouldn't do it nowhere up north around Chicago/Cook County. But, it is indeed legal to do so, at the State level anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee n. field
(Illinois has no provision for concealed carry outside one's own residence or fixed place of business. Open carry only in unincorporated rural areas.)
Mind pointing out where any statue says you can open carry in unincorporated areas? I've got my Illinois Criminal and Traffic Law Manual right here next to me, would be great to verify what you just typed.

Also, as pointed out, in Illinois, as a resident and valid FOID card holder, you can indeed carry concealed, if you have met all requirements, and not be breaking a state law. Local ordinance, well, whole other ball game.

But I know of no statue that allows for open carry. If it exists, great!! But let's make sure of that, and not mis-inform anyone.

*edit*

Just googled it, found this, which confirms lee n. field's post. Still looking for actual statute for those that care, lol.
Old September 15, 2011, 12:24 PM   #23
C0untZer0

When I read that I thought he must be referring to hunting ^

I didn't totally understand it either. My parents live in an unicorporated area, but if I had a firearm outside with me - it would be UUW.
Old September 15, 2011, 03:58 PM   #24
graysmoke

When I read the stories that come out of states like Illinois, California, New York, and District of Columbia Washington DC.....Makes me wonder, their firearms laws are so strict, and yet they have some of the worst violent crime statistics.

Preventing the law abiding citizen from owning a gun....and only the bad guys haveing the guns.
No Logic behind that.

The majority of those cities and states are controled by powerful street gangs.
Thus, I hang my hat in North Florida.