The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 11, 2011, 10:29 PM   #1
ChrisBobis

Instructor/Rigger belts, make me feel fat.

Hello all, I recently bought a Galco medium instructors belt, and this thing I assure you is NOT a medium. Or at least I dont think it is. The tags on the belt say its 34-37 but I am a size 34 and I cant even get the velcro to touch. I would love to see someone who is a size 37 try to get into one of these!

I never owned one of these "gun belts" before so I dont know how tight these suckers are suppose to be. Can anyone enlighten me a bit?

Thanks!

PS- I would post pics but I wont have you all laughing at my rolls. (Everybody has rolls once your in a sitting position)
Old September 11, 2011, 11:09 PM   #2
BarryLee

I bought one from 5.11 and found it to be pretty true to size with plenty of extra belt even with a holster. Does your belt feel short when loaded with a holster or just by itself? If the belt is too tight have you considered simply exchanging it for another size?
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old September 12, 2011, 12:04 AM   #3
ChrisBobis

I know thats a pretty crappy picture but the belt on the bottom is the one I wear now, the 2nd hole is size 34. As you can see the galco sizing is totally off. The velcro starts at the beginning of the picture and ENDS not even near the size 32 hole. when wearing it I can barley get the velcro pieces to touch (at where 32 is) so no wonder its snug. I aint as thin as I use to be, but even if i was this belt is not sized properly.

I emailed Galco just now, waiting response. I have confirmed that is this not right and probably a factory defect. Unfortunate because...Well I never would have thought a company like Galco would make such a blunder. Either that or im wearing the belt wrong, which I would like to think that it was my error not Galco USA.
Old September 12, 2011, 05:51 AM   #4
rayban

Galco mis-marked a belt size?? What is this world coming to?
Old September 12, 2011, 06:27 AM   #5
7jinxed7

Maybe you should try one of rayban's belts. I'm about a 34 but i had to buy a large in 5.11 belts. Thats how every belt i've ever bought was. How did you measure? You are suppose to measure from the inside of the buckle to the current hole you use when buying a belt.

You could always buy a woman's belt. They tend to run big for the number size. Makes them step down a size giving them a boost of self esteem.
Old September 12, 2011, 01:39 PM   #6
ChrisBobis

Ok guys time to resolve this issue as I am sure you are all wishing for enlightenment!

Galco sizes belts by INCHES. So my belt is not a "Size 34" if I where to order a belt I would need a Galco LARGE 38-41. Fault is mine but I did order from Amazon.com and all I saw was Galco Med- 34-37 so I assumed...bah whatever. I will just exchange it.

So just a FYI i dont know if Blackhawk or 5.11 do this too. So before you buy a carry belt check if its Size of Inches. Or be scratching your head for hours in bewilderment from thinking you had a major weight spike.
Old September 13, 2011, 07:47 PM   #7
old bear

Quote:
Galco mis-marked a belt size?? What is this world coming to?
It's not just Galco who is mis-marking their items, every piece of clothing I have bought for years is scrimping on sizing, ya gotta know it's them not the fact I've gotten old and semi inactive over the last 10 years I've been retired