The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 25, 2008, 11:46 AM   #1
mxracr

Ruined P6 grips

I bought one of the surplus P6's. Shoots great! I really like it and other than maybe having the slide refinished to bring it back to new condition from the holster wear, I really want to leave it as I got it. In other words, not looking for pricey wood or aluminum grip changes. However, I cleaned it before I did the research and ruined the grips with the cleaner. As they started to turn white, I cleaned them off and put a bunch of oil on them. Maybe that helped a little as they are not extremely bad and didn't fall apart. My question, is there anything that can be done to these? I don't see where anyone has extras of the original grips. I was told not to paint them as that may damage them as well. Is there a dye or anything you can do to them that will make them stay black and not rub off on your hands or clothes. Thanks
Old October 25, 2008, 11:54 AM   #2
Creature

Yeah...just oil the grips. Then really wipe them dry with a rag. You wont get all the oil out from the grooves and that will make the white disappear, but the grips will be dry enough for a good grip.

Or you can just let the natural oils from your hand eventually make its way into the grooves of the checkering like I did...
Old October 25, 2008, 09:09 PM   #3
hockeysew

What type of cleaner did you use.
Better than oil, try some CLP or Son of a Gun. Oil may damage the plastic just as bad as paint or the cleaner you used.
Old October 25, 2008, 09:38 PM   #4
DnPRK

Buy a new set of original P6 grips off eBay for $20.
Old October 26, 2008, 09:24 PM   #5
mxracr

I used the stuff from Break Free. Might have well used break cleaner. Its pretty strong stuff. Thanks for the response guys. I just looked and there are a couple options on ebay. If gun oil or CLP doesn't work, I may go that way.
Old October 28, 2008, 12:54 AM   #6
ActivShootr

Use soap and water to clean plastic parts next time.