The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 14, 2004, 05:30 PM   #1
YosemiteSam357

Decent extended eye relief scopes?

Does anyone know of a good scope with extended eye relief, and something like 10x magnification, minimum? Most of the EER scopes I've seen have been little 4x (max) pistol scopes. I'm considering scoping my Mosin-Nagant 91/30 and due to the mounts available I need to use an EER.

Thanks in advance,

-- Sam

Edited to add: I've (now) seen the Leupold EER scopes, and these are undoubtably good. Any others? I'd like to avoid spending $600 on a scope for a $50 rifle...
Old June 14, 2004, 07:59 PM   #2
ArmaLube

Simmons AETEC scopes are excellent quality, yet comparatively low-priced, scopes. They have some terrific features, including long eye relief (5"). You probably would want Simmons Model No. 802101. The AETEC scopes also have very wide fields of view and include an excellent sun shade. Adjustable to 1/4 MOA, they are waterproof, fogproof, and shockproof.

Simmons AETEC

The quality of Simmons AETEC 2.8-10x44mm Scope is so good that the product is a standard offering of Bushmaster.

Available for less than $150.00, this is an excellent rifle scope value. Using some of the available Shopping Bots, you will find optimum pricing of the Simmons rifle scopes.

Here it is http://scopesandmore.meridian1.net/s...V=RSR-SM2101|0 for $139.99. You probably won't find it for a lower price.

http://www.act-optics.com/simmons-ri...2-8-10x44.html
http://www.scopesnmore.com/riflescop...mons/aetec.htm

Last edited by ArmaLube; June 14, 2004 at 08:39 PM.
Old July 1, 2004, 02:07 PM   #3
W Turner

Not trying to be an a$$, but I don't see the wisdom of using a EER scope with that high of a magnification. Is there a special cirumstance that requires this?

W
Old July 1, 2004, 05:13 PM   #4
FirstFreedom

ArmaLube, I have to say, I love the thoroughness of your posts - very helpful indeed! And the AETEC is indeed a good value. However, 5" aint enough for a "long eye relief" scope (mounted forward of the action), I don't think.

There are basically 3 types of eye relief (as I understand it):

1. Standard: 3"-4", give or take
2. Intermediate Eye Relief ("IER")
3. Extended Eye Relief ("EER"), or Long Eye relief ("LER")

As I understand it, number 1 is for riflescopes in the standard position, number 3 is for handguns and is approximately 11-13" or more relief, and number 2 is the choice for forward mounting on a rifle, and has eye relief of 8"-9", IIRC. If you use a pistol scope on a rifle, forward-mounted, it can be done, and probably often is, but you have to either put your cheek way back towards the butt end, OR mount the scope very far forward of the action (which ain't possible if it's some kind of aftermarket mount that attaches to the rear sight of a milsurp). What is needed to properly do this is one of the IER scopes (number 2 above), not EER or LER. There are very few of these, and to my knowledge, none over 3 power (you said 4). I can certainly see wanting to have more power, but for whatever reason (sales) I just don't see them made to date. Pistol scopes are often 1-5, 1-6, 2-6, 2-7, etc, and that would be nice to have in an IER rather than an EER (pistol) - I agree. As for 10x, dunno - that may be gettin on toward technically unfeasible without a much larger tube size and lens sizes, with that amount of eye relief. That's my understanding - hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong, or incomplete.
Old July 13, 2004, 03:30 PM   #5
FirstFreedom

YosemiteSam:

If you look here:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=149934

you can see that TFLer named Shootz has what he is calling an "intermediate eye relief Bushnell" on his swede, and he says it's a 2-6x variable power in his first post in that thread. I didn't know bushnell made such a creature, but maybe they do - maybe ask him directly.
Old July 13, 2004, 03:53 PM   #6
raz-0

It's a bushnell pistol scope I believe. It just has a wide range of eye relief, 9"=10" according to the specs on it.

leatherwood also has a zoom IER scope out now.

the problem is IER scopes are scout scopes, anything much over 4x power just isn't in the job description. For pistol scopes, much the same thing can be said. You aren't going to be sniping at long range with a pistol or scout, jsut looking at most to hit in about the right 6-8" of a critter at 50-200 yards.