The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 6, 2008, 09:21 PM   #1
jeepthing5280

Squeaky Holster...... HELP!!

Ok... I've tried numerous holsters and belts, but they all seem to squeak or creak when i move. Its hard to keep a firearm concealed when the damn holster gives it away. Has anyone else ran into this problem? Any Ideas would be great! I've tried galco, desantis, generic belts and holsters with no luck. Right now i'm runnin' a $180 holster/belt setup.... and it sounds like wet shoes on a hardwood floor. Is the some oil, cream i can put on it to quiet it down?..........Thanks

Sig P220c, Springfield XD45 , Springfield XD9sc
Ruger Sp101, Walther P22, Ruger MK77 300 WIN, Bushmaster Ar-15 A2,
Old March 6, 2008, 09:36 PM   #2
rwilson452

Tried Neetsfoot oil?
Old March 6, 2008, 10:57 PM   #3
MeekAndMild

I use saddle soap on rifle slings but that might cause corrosion problems with a holster. Have you thought about Rem Oil or CLP in a spray can?
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old March 7, 2008, 12:06 AM   #4
MEDDAC19

Try a little powder or corn starch on the areas that are rubbing. I'd be careful with the neatsfoot oil unless you want to ruin that $180.00 setup. You don't want to soften the holster's leather.
Old March 7, 2008, 09:01 AM   #5
brickeyee

baby powder (talc) or some cornstarch worked into the moving areas usually solves the problem.
Old March 7, 2008, 10:28 AM   #6
stevelyn

Spray silicone. Oils can ruin desireable characteristics the leather if you aren't careful.

Spray silicones have either water or solvent carriers that evaporate away leaving behind the lubricating qualities of the silicone without softening or stretching it.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old March 7, 2008, 11:44 AM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Just jack yer leg, scrunch yer face and say "EXCUSE ME" Works for me!
Brent
Old March 8, 2008, 07:45 AM   #8
wogpotter

Pledge furniture polish.
Apply with a cotton ball or q-tip & buff till dry.
Old March 8, 2008, 08:11 AM   #9
langloisandy

Sqqqqqeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak!

Howdy,

I make squeaky holsters sometimes (which is why I now wear EVERY ONE of them prior to shipping).

Unsure of the style of holster, sometimes it is just one spot that squeaks. ( email me a photo of the holster, in place, on your belt to [email protected] )

Have someone listen for the squeak, figure out which spot is making the noise. I have used light sandpaper on those problem area to reduce the shiny surface of the finish. (600/800 grit).

Silicone works, the solvents in the spray CAN hurt your holsters finish. You can try spraying something else, let the carrier flash off, then put a finger full of goo on the leather.

A VERY light q-tip of neatsfoot, sno-seal, lexol could work too. (for that matter, any oil, veg, olive, crisco if you are in a bind and the holster sounds like a bed in a cat house....)

Hope that helps,

Andy
Old March 8, 2008, 08:40 AM   #10
AK103K

If it really bothers you, I'd just wear it around the house till it breaks in. Sooner or later it'll stop.

Your probably more worried about it than it really is loud, and most around you probably dont hear a thing. Then again, maybe that squeak is just that tell tail bulge under your shirt pumping up and getting bigger every squeak.
Old March 8, 2008, 09:26 AM   #11
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Your probably more worried about it than it really is loud, and most around you probably dont hear a thing. Then again, maybe that squeak is just that tell tail bulge under your shirt pumping up and getting bigger every squeak.
I hear an occasional squeak with my rig too but I'm not concerned that anyone but me will hear it. Most people will never guess you are carrying despite obvious bulges or squeaks.
Old March 8, 2008, 09:41 AM   #12
AK103K

Most are oblivious and your usually harder on yourself than need be. But its still good to be hard on yourself than get sloppy.

Another way to speed the break in is to practice presentations. It will help with the creaks and really help with the guns fit, and the extra practice doesnt hurt either. It also helps find that sweet spot quicker, as all holsters are different, even if just a little bit.
Old March 8, 2008, 05:10 PM   #13
SAWBONES

Common problem with new leather, whether holsters or belts.
DON'T use Neetsfoot oil. You do not want any of the leather to permanemtly lose its stiffness.

Having done this for years, I recommend "dusting" the seams and the stitching with baby powder (use a Q-tip for conveying powder into tight spots), rubbing powder into said seams and stitching, blowing off then wiping away the excess, and all squeaks will stop.
Old March 8, 2008, 08:00 PM   #14
jeepthing5280

Today I tried some Talc on contact points of my holster and belt with no luck...... I think its actually getting louder! I even have co-workers asking what is making noise when I walk or move. I think im gonna stray away from any oils and just skuff up my new belt. Thanks guys

Sig P220c, Springfield XD45 , Springfield XD9sc
Ruger Sp101, Walther P22, Ruger MK77 300 WIN, Bushmaster Ar-15 A2,
Old August 10, 2016, 07:56 AM   #15
lwestatbus

How Problematic is Softening

I found and resurrected this old thread as I am having the same issue. I got a bargain on a used Bianchi X15 Med shoulder holster that is perfect for an otherwise orphaned S&W Model 60 with a 5" barrel. But I have at least three different squeaks going on with this thing.

I've tried baby powder to no avail (but I do smell nice and fresh). This holster has a lot of leather on leather contact and am interested in a strategy to permanently eliminate the squeaking in all of these areas. My question is how big a problem softening the leather would be in my case (e.g., Neat's Foot Oil, conditioner, etc.)? This holster relies on a really strong interior spring running the entire length of both sides of the opening to the holster and no amount of leather softening will interfere with this retention.

This was an interesting thread in that there were many competing ideas and dissent to some of them.
Old August 10, 2016, 08:04 AM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

Tell people you have a dolphin in your pocket?

The break in period takes time, unfortunately.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 10, 2016, 10:20 AM   #17
madmo44mag

Quote:
I hear an occasional squeak with my rig too but I'm not concerned that anyone but me will hear it. Most people will never guess you are carrying despite obvious bulges or squeaks.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old August 10, 2016, 11:18 AM   #18
rickyrick

It is just that you are conscience about it because you are worried someone will know that you are packing.

I learned over the years that no one will ever notice your gun unless a good portion is exposed.

Every carry system has drawbacks. Find one that you can live with and stick to it.
Old August 10, 2016, 03:00 PM   #19
TimSr

Quote:
Spray silicone. Oils can ruin desireable characteristics the leather if you aren't careful.

Spray silicones have either water or solvent carriers that evaporate away leaving behind the lubricating qualities of the silicone without softening or stretching it.

x2. Also great for holsters made of other materials that gun wants to "stick to" when pulling it out.