The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 3, 2014, 04:36 PM   #1
I'vebeenduped

To brake or not to brake?..

That is my question!
I have FINALLY saved enough to purchase my rifle. I want to get a Savage weather warrior, hinged floor-plate .30-06. I chose .30-06 for a few reasons, the largest two being availability of and price of ammunition. This will be my hunting rifle from coyote and whitetail to (hopefully) bear. This will also be my target rifle. I want the ability to fire a few boxes without getting beaten up as well as being able to reacquire the target after firing a bit more quickly. I realize the drawback is that it will be incredibly loud. Do you find that the muzzle brake reduces felt recoil significantly? Does it help that much with muzzle rise? Do you feel it is worth the investment?

Lastly, I plan on getting this rifle cerakote'd (did I spell that correctly?), as I like the quality of stainless but I prefer a subdued finish. Is there a drawback to having this done over stainless? Will it be as durable? Can it even be done?

Thank you, to all, who chose to reply. Heck, even to those of you that don't. I hope you are all having a wonderful new year.
Old January 3, 2014, 04:44 PM   #2
Roughedge

If you go with a break take it to a smith and have him make one or fit one to your rifle. Nothing looks worse than someone just threading a barel and sticking a clunky break on the end of a nicely tapered barrel.
Old January 3, 2014, 05:15 PM   #3
AllenJ

Good muzzle brakes do reduce felt recoil and muzzle rise, and yes they are incredibly loud. But don't worry to much, as the shooter you won't have to put up with near the noise as those standing around you!

Cerakote works on stainless, and it'll dull your finish in whatever color you choose. They have some good information and pictures on their website:

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/
Old January 3, 2014, 06:48 PM   #4
mete

There has been a thread on another forum and they say brakes reduce felt recoil as much as 50 % !!. They were talking about HEAVY recoiling cartridges like the 600OK ! Making that cartridge shootable without injuring the shooter . Actual [physics ] recoil may me reduced by up to 25%. Part of the felt recoil reduction is reducing the muzzle rise.
Yes shooters near you may not like brakes .
Old January 3, 2014, 07:19 PM   #5
Ruger480

My two cents. Skip the muzzle break. Learn to shoot your gun and manage the recoil .
I respect your choice of calibers, I bought the '06 for the same reasons (it really is the KING of call cartridges!). FYI, the 30-06 is considered to be on the upper end of recoil that the average shooter can handle.
Now, if you really are concerned about it, pass on the 30-06 and pick up a 243. It's good for coyote all the way up to elk and black bear. Once youve mastered that, then look look at the '06.
There's no point in getting a gun that will encourage you to developed poor shooting skills.

Last edited by Ruger480; January 3, 2014 at 07:26 PM.
Old January 3, 2014, 07:26 PM   #6
Willie Lowman

Muzzle breaks... Do they work? The good ones work very well. Are they obnoxious? They sure are.

I'd rather shoot 40 rounds of '06 without a break than with one. Personal preference.
Old January 3, 2014, 07:30 PM   #7
Cowboy_mo

Quote:
My two cents. Skip the muzzle break. Learn to shoot your gun and manage the recoil .
I agree plus suggest you purchase a heavier rifle. I was fortunate enough to go to Africa in 2010. I chose to rent a rifle from my outfitter over paying the costs and going through the hassle of shipping my own. The rifle I used was an older Sako in .30-06 in a walnut stock and topped with a leupold scope. Now I was a tired puppy at the end of every day from carrying that rifle BUT I smiled every time I squeezed the trigger. The recoil felt like my .243 back home and not my .30-06.

Finally, if you choose to brake your rifle, do the rest of us a favor and build your own private range to fire it on. Our conservation dept. operates a beautiful public range near me. I refuse to go there from Sept-Dec because the braked rifles ring my ears (even with ear protection), rattle the range walls, and shake my fillings.
Old January 4, 2014, 12:59 AM   #8
hoghunting

I would put a good recoil pad - Kick-Eez, Hiviz Xcoil or Limbsaver - to replace the factory pad as that will make a big difference in felt recoil.

Tags
brake , cerakote , muzzle brake