The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 30, 2000, 07:05 PM   #1
elper

I'm looking for a shotgun for general use / home defense, and the Winchester 1300 Defender seems like a good choice. It's less expensive than the Camp Defender, and it (appears) the only difference is the shorter barrel. Is there any dramatic advantage to a longer barrel that should make me get a Camp Defender?

-elper
Old December 1, 2000, 10:02 PM   #2
manny1

I've owned 2 Win 1200's (the 1300's older brother). One has a 18 inch bbl, the other a 20 inch bbl & both have mag tube extentions. Both have served me well thru the years, along with my 3 97's & my 1 Model 12. On the guns your are looking at, what bbl lenghts are you talking about? If it's 18" vs 20", or even a 22", no real advantage by the 2+ inches, as both are probably cylinder bored. & will pattern about the same. If the Defender is the 8 shot version, I'd go for that one. Both guns (Defender & Camp Defender, give or take a few ounces) will handle the same, Plus less reloading & the extended mag tube looks great IMO. Hope this helps & good luck.
Old December 2, 2000, 12:06 AM   #3
elper

18 for Defender and 22 for Camp Defender are the stats listed on the Winchester website - the website also lists the Defender as having a cylinder bore and the Camp Defender as having a "WIC" choke, but I'm not sure what that means. I also believe that the Camp Defender is equipped with the Winchoke system, whereas the Defender is not.

You can check out the Defender and Camp Defender at http://www.winchester-guns.com/prodi...h/13def8sh.htm and http://www.winchester-guns.com/prodi...f/13cmpdef.htm respectively.

-elper
Old December 4, 2000, 12:56 AM   #4
manny1

WIC : Winchester Improved Cylinder choke. The thing is, Win states that the Camp Defender is also a slug gun. I do not know of any shotgun that can shoot slugs with a choke tube installed. But looks like they say it's ok. I like the look of the Camp Defender, especially the Black on Black & rifle sights (which I put on just about ever shotgun I own). Just got done putting one of these stock sets on my 1200 Trench Gun that I've been putting together the last year. Also I won a 1300 black Shadow a few years back, but sold it because Winchester had some great idea of putting camo stocks on a Flat Black gun. Looked like [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]! Glad to see that they changed that. Either gun will serve you well. Good luck.
Old December 4, 2000, 02:37 AM   #5
viper45

You can walk into a gunstore and pick up a new Mossy 590A1 for less than $400, it will eat anything 3" and under, and never break, comes with ghostrings, ETC.

get a mossy, its a better gun.
Old December 5, 2000, 03:46 AM   #6
iso1

Interesting....

I just looked at a brand new Winchester 1300 Defender, 18" bbl, 8 round tube (7 if 3" shells), sling swivels, wood stock and foregrip. Total price: $199.00

I thought it was a good deal, and as I need a good house gun, I'm seriously considering purchasing it.

The only extras I think I'd want for it are pistol grip stock, and maybe change that gold bead to a lowlight setup.

What do ya think? Good deal or no?
Old December 5, 2000, 07:32 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

iso1, good price.....

As for PGs, a full stock with PG is OK, tho the standard stock works well. A PG only stock is a handicap you do not need.
Old December 5, 2000, 07:40 AM   #8
iso1

You're right, Dave.

I don't care for the PG only. My father in law has a Rem 870 setup with PG only, front and rear. Nice shoot from the waist gun, but hell on the wrists! And not all that accurate, even for a scattergun.

But the full stock with PG would suit me better than the plain stock.
Old December 5, 2000, 02:34 PM   #9
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

There are plenty of guns designed for use with rifled choke tubes and slugs, if its a tube that can be removed.

You may also want to look at the remington 870 which places the safety in a better position. Price should be on par with the winchester.
Old December 6, 2000, 03:00 PM   #10
mjcitra

The improved cylindrical choke tube allows you to fire slugs. I think all 1300 series models come with 3 different choke tubes. You can also purchase an extended rifled tube for greater accuracy that will fire Sabot type slugs. This model should do just fine for home defense and at 200 bucks its pretty cheap.
Old December 6, 2000, 03:29 PM   #11
Battler

I would suggest you consider the camp defender.

I have the "regular" defender (18" barrel) and love it. . .

But if you look at the barrels on their web site, it is easy to order the "regular" 18" barrel, whereas the camp defender barrel (fittin the 7 round mag) can not be found. . . the only way to get this barrel is to buy the whole gun.

Of course, with the camp defender than you can buy the $90 18" barrel and just bolt it on (I think). That way you have both guns, the 18" and the long one with the multiple chokes.

Battler.

Old December 6, 2000, 08:36 PM   #12
elper

Based on these replies, I think I'll probably go with the Camp Defender, but I have one last question: It mentioned on the site it had a "WIC" choke, which I was later informed was a Winchester Improved Cylinder. If it has a Winchoke system as advertised on the site, would this mean that installing a cylinder choke to it would be pointless, as it is already choked at improved cylinder, or does it mean that the standard choke tube is improved cylinder?

Now that I think about it, that question was pretty confusing Sorry
Old December 7, 2000, 08:57 AM   #13
mjcitra

The Winchoke system simply means that the gun is being sold to you with the 3 interchangeable types of choke tubes that Winchester makes: Improved cylindrical, full choke and modified choke. When you purchase the gun these 3 tubes will most likely be in a polyethylene bag with a little wrench that you use to change them. There should be no need for you to purchase any more (other) choke tubes. You can purchase an extended rifled tube to fire Sabot type slugs if you want, but this is probably not required for your purposes.
Old December 7, 2000, 08:01 PM   #14
Battler

Just a note here - rifled tube? I suspect that the two barrels listed here are the only ones that will fit the 7-shot mag.

The defender's 7 shot mag limits the barrel options.

Battler.