The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old June 25, 2013, 07:42 PM   #1
3.Shot.Group.

Marlin 983T suppression

I have a 983T, and I'm thinking about putting a suppressor on it; Will the mag. tube have to be shortened to make room for the suppressor?

I'm O.K. with having to remove the can to reload, just wondering if there is enough room for the threading as is or if it needs to modified.
Old June 25, 2013, 10:45 PM   #2
Theohazard

It will need extensive modification. In my opinion, putting a suppressor on that rifle will be way more trouble and expense than it's worth.

You're going to need to both shorten the mag tube and move the front sight back before you can thread it. The standard .22 thread pattern is 1/2x28, if the barrel is too narrow for that you'll need to thread it smaller and use an adaptor. And after all that, you're going to be very dissapointed with how loud it is when you shoot .22 mags through it; .22 mag is supersonic and you'll still get a loud ballistic crack when you shoot, whereas it's easy to find subsonic .22 LR ammo for suppressed rifle use and in a pistol almost all .22 LR ammo is always subsonic.

Unless you can get a great deal on the gunsmithing involved to move the front sight, modify and shorten the mag tube, and thread the barrel, it's probably going to be cheaper to buy a different rifle in .22 LR that's either already threaded or has a barrel that's much easier to thread, especially if you find a used one.

My favorite .22 suppressor host is a 10/22 with a cheap Butler Creek stock and a Tactical Solutions threaded barrel.
Old June 26, 2013, 05:24 PM   #3
tmorone

I think that would be pretty cool. Sorry I'm no help with answering your question about shortening the mag-tube though.

Have seen a few suppressed lever guns that have the tube shortened, it's definitely possible. Unique, and awesome. Good luck!
Old June 26, 2013, 08:41 PM   #4
3.Shot.Group.

So you say "Yes" the mag. tube will have to be shortened, so by how much do you think I should shorten it? I'm thinking one round shorter should do it; What do you think? What I really would like to know is how far do the threads on a suppressor go, I mean are they all standard or will it vary from manufacturer to manufacturer? Should I wait until I get the supp. I want before threading it.

The mod I'll most likely do myself, no use forking out $$$ to someone to do that for me. I don't like the idea of paying the Gov. $200 to snoop through my life either, seeing as how they've been doing behind my back anyways, they should just put all THAT snooping to some practical use and send me the stamp. LOL

The front sight I've taken off, since theirs not much use for a front sight on a weapon with a scope, bi-Pod, sling, and a suppressor, don't need it or the weight(I swear if I put anything else on it, it'll weigh as much as an M60), and it'd look funny.

I love the crack of the bullet BTW, it let's me know I'm alive.
Old June 26, 2013, 09:21 PM   #5
johnwilliamson062

I think there are some pistol suppressors that are offset to go below the sight line. You may be able to get one and swing it above. Not sure how that will affect your sight picture though.
The thread depth isn't "standard," but they are all pretty close. Maybe within a couple thread turns. I don't know what it is off the top of my head.

If you really want to do it and have the skills to make these changes yourself, consider an internally suppressed option. Get fancy and build a chamber off to the side, etc.
Old June 27, 2013, 01:44 PM   #6
3.Shot.Group.

I saw a slimline suppressor last night, it's the same size as the barrel, I'm wondering about how it's performance being that slim.

Anyone ever used one of those?
Old June 28, 2013, 05:54 PM   #7
tmorone

If you're open to suggestions, check out the SWR Spectre II. Pretty awesome can, and it's rated for calibers from 22lr to 5.7x28. I have one and would absolutely make that particular purchase again. May not potentially be the "look" you're going for though.

Looking at that rifle, there appears to be a chance you could just thread the barrel and be ok. That can will thread on with just under 1/2" of thread space (really about 7/16" according to my beat up measuring tape). Since you've already removed the front sight, it could potentially work with just some threading. It's the bigger calibers that have more threads for fast attach muzzle brakes like AAC.
Old June 28, 2013, 08:23 PM   #8
3.Shot.Group.

Yes I am, and thanks for the info.

I'm showing just about 5/16 from the tube cap to the end of muzzle.

I'm thinking there's enough play in the tube that I can shorten it just a few sixteenths without having to sacrifice 1 round of capacity in the tube.

I'll take a look at that suppressor, thanks.
Old June 29, 2013, 05:54 PM   #9
tmorone

Anytime, good luck!