The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 25, 2007, 02:37 PM   #1
gordon29

crow call

last march i was calling crows in by the hundreds every time i went out.... rain, shine or snowing like crazy this summer ive tried several times to get the same response and nothing i tried switching up locations and still nothing am i doing something wrong
Old August 25, 2007, 03:41 PM   #2
SavageSniper

Are you using just a crow call? I like to use a crow and a hawk call. If you have friends with you give everyone a crow call. I also make a crow decoy out of a black trash bag and hang it from a bush, etc and make it bounce up and down with a string. WARNING!! Do not do this alone and have plenty of shells. Crows will tear your butt up if they see a wounded fellow crow. I can attest to this. My Beretta's barrel was almost cherry red.
Old August 25, 2007, 08:14 PM   #3
nutty ned

They are just dispersed in family groups, wait until fall flocks form and then travel back roads early and late in the day to find flyways then hunt them. though the areas you hunted before will be good as long as a food source is there.
Old August 25, 2007, 09:23 PM   #4
crowbeaner

I use an H.S. STRUTS Hammering crow call, and it works year round. Bear in mind that old Noir has a life expectancy of 25 years if they stay out of my range and that they have an incredible vocabulary and memory. We have several tricks to get them into range, but if I tell you I'll have to kill you. Try an owl decoy put where they can see it, and get ready to have a hot barrel. Best if you take turns shooting so each shooter can reload and get over the recoil if you use shotguns. I prefer to use my old .222 and 50 or 52 gr. Speer bullets driven just as fast as RL7 or BLC2 can get them there. If you get them where they are out in the open, shoot the lookouts first. The ones on the ground will stay there until they have a union meeting to decide who goes on lookout. Leave the dead on the field for now, and the live ones will go over to them and try to get them to get up, giving you another shot or two. Here in Clintonia they have a better union than I had; they can only be hunted in season and only FOUR DAYS a week. They will stay and harass that owl to death or untill H*** freezes, unless they figure out that the owl means DEATH and then they will leave. Hope this helps. Enjoy. CB.