The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 29, 2005, 07:18 PM   #1
blackmind

Cellular phone discipline

Has anyone given any thought to whether to keep their cellular phones set on "silent" at all times?

With all the "you walk in on a robbery in progress" and "you are in the back of the store when the robbers walk in" threads, it got me thinking. Some people said, "If I could be undetected by the robber, I might back off and summon 911 help rather than try to be Mr. Tactical."

What if your phone was going to beep beep beep while you dialed 911??! That might alert the robber to your presence, and your activities!

I am now giving serious thought to leaving my phone on silent/vibrate mode all the time (except maybe at home, but possibly even then) for the reasons that I may not wish to alert certain people to the fact that I'm using the phone.

Your thoughts?

-blackmind
Old September 29, 2005, 07:22 PM   #2
rgoudy1975

Mine can mute the key tones while retaining an audible ring...I suppose this is a good idea, but man, I just don't think as tactically as some of you.
Old September 29, 2005, 07:24 PM   #3
blackmind

It would just be a shame to get killed because your cellular phone blabbed on you to a badguy, that's all.

-blackmind
Old September 29, 2005, 07:25 PM   #4
rgoudy1975

That would suck. Trying to be sneaky and *beep,beep*, *BANG BANG*. Frickin' phone.
Old September 29, 2005, 11:17 PM   #5
chris in va

I keep mine on vibrate the first 3 rings, then regular after that. Nothing to do with what you're talking about however.
Old September 29, 2005, 11:19 PM   #6
Talon66

I never thought about this but I thank you for bringing it to my attention. I will play with this idea and get back to you. Since I read your post, I've now switched my ringer to "vibrate".
Old September 30, 2005, 12:32 PM   #7
USP45usp

What if your ring tone is that of a Gunshot, maybe multiple? It may be enough to scare them away? (or it could be the most stupid thing that I've ever mentioned )

Wayne
Old September 30, 2005, 12:37 PM   #8
Garand Illusion

My ring tone is the sound of a 12 gauge being racked. ALWAYS get's people's attention when I'm in a crowded room.

Just kidding about that ... but would that be a cool ring tone to have or not?
Old September 30, 2005, 12:38 PM   #9
dasmi

I keep the key tones muted, because I think they are annoying. I keep the ringer set to vibrate, because I find other people's ringers annoying, and I don't want to be the person I hate
Old September 30, 2005, 01:02 PM   #10
xXStarScreamXx

I have mine set with a deadmans switch if i dont press the number 5 every 10 min it automatically calls 911.

I like when my phone rings though, my general ringtone is an MP3 of the Rolling stones paint it black. if its my girlfriend then its metallicas nothing else matters.

then i have about 13 other ringers depending on who is calling.

I think in a robbery situation youre better off giving the POS what he wants then sneaking around like Steven Segal
Old September 30, 2005, 01:05 PM   #11
joecski

The important thing is to not just keep your phone on vibrate but too also eliminate the key tone. Another suggest would be to put 911 on your speed dial, like as slot 9. That way it would be just one button to push, and on my phone speed dial is silent, while my key tone can be turned down but not turned off.
Old September 30, 2005, 01:06 PM   #12
dasmi

Quote:
I have mine set with a deadmans switch if i dont press the number 5 every 10 min it automatically calls 911.
That's pretty annoying.
Quote:
I think in a robbery situation youre better off giving the POS what he wants then sneaking around like Steven Segal
That's right, children, just do what the bad man says and everything will be ok.
Old September 30, 2005, 01:16 PM   #13
xXStarScreamXx

Quote:
Quote:

That's pretty annoying.
Quote:

That's right, children, just do what the bad man says and everything will be ok.

The deadman's switch is a joke. Just trying to keep up with the cult of paranoia around here.

Given the choice, letting an armed suspect rob the quicky mart without someone getting hurt or playing uber tactical ninja operative in the back and risking the guy getting paranoid and popping someone, I'd prefer the former.
Old September 30, 2005, 01:51 PM   #14
relientk1988

Ringtone

Quote:
My ring tone is the sound of a 12 gauge being racked. ALWAYS get's people's attention when I'm in a crowded room.

Just kidding about that ... but would that be a cool ring tone to have or not?

When my buddy calls my ringtones is my SKS being cocked seriously
Old September 30, 2005, 02:42 PM   #15
Steamboatsig

In addition to programming 911 into your speed dial, you should program the local police number as well. Because on a cell phone, at least in Southern California, 911 dials the Highway Patrol.
Old September 30, 2005, 02:47 PM   #16
Russ538

"I keep the key tones muted, because I think they are annoying. I keep the ringer set to vibrate, because I find other people's ringers annoying, and I don't want to be the person I hate"

Agreed. I get sick of hearing peoples phones go off all the time in stores, at restaraunts, etc, so I leave mine on vibrate to avoid being that irritating person.

Interesting point, though. I never thought about the robbery situation. The beeping phone would draw some unwanted attention. I guess I'd be fine since mine is always on vibrate.
Old September 30, 2005, 07:22 PM   #17
blackmind

Quote:

You can't be serious.

Quote:

Well, at least you spelled his name right. [Seagal]

Um, are you really one of those adherents to the appeasement philosophy when it comes to robbers, or were you being sarcastic?

What happens when you appease a robber because he "promises not to hurt you if you give him what he wants," and then -- because he's the kind of human scum who would be a robber in the first place -- he doesn't honor his "promise"?

Do you understand why there are those of us who will fight tooth and nail, rather than encourage a human POS like this by giving in to whatever he demands? That is NO way to live life. How could you respect yourself after doing that?

-blackmind
Old September 30, 2005, 07:26 PM   #18
blackmind

[quote]The important thing is to not just keep your phone on vibrate but too also eliminate the key tone. Another suggest would be to put 911 on your speed dial, like as slot 9. That way it would be just one button to push, and on my phone speed dial is silent, while my key tone can be turned down but not turned off.[quote]

Well, on my phone, the "Silent" profile sets the keytones to silent as well as just the ringtone. It is customizable, also, so that I can start with the basic preset "Silent" profile and then override certain characteristics, like whether I want the keytones active or not, or whatever.

I have to look at the phone manual and make sure about whether I have one-touch 911 operating.

-blackmind
Old September 30, 2005, 07:30 PM   #19
blackmind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream
The deadman's switch is a joke. Just trying to keep up with the cult of paranoia around here.

"Cult of paranoia"? Maybe you should read about just how quickly TScanHTF in the recent thread titled "I didn't get shot." "Paranoia" can get legitimized into "preparedness" awful quickly when you find yourself in proximity of bad people. (In that thread, consider what the "non-paranoid" people did: they stood there, five feet away from a guy who was waving a gun around trying to fire it. Not seeking cover; just gawking like idiot sheeple.)

Quote:
Given the choice, letting an armed suspect rob the quicky mart without someone getting hurt or playing uber tactical ninja operative in the back and risking the guy getting paranoid and popping someone, I'd prefer the former.
Good. Fine for you. YOU give up your stuff to Mr. nice robber. Me, I'll do myself and society the favor and use my legal, moral and ethical right to oppose him. Maybe if you're lucky, he won't be around after he tries that crap on me, to later rob your girlfriend.

-blackmind
Old September 30, 2005, 09:05 PM   #20
xXStarScreamXx

So how many guns are in your house? Do you have one in every room? How about within arm's reach at all times? How do you know that one will work? How do you know the primer int he bullet you have chambered isnt a dud? Are your windows bullet resistant? At anytime do you sit in view of a window in which a sniper could pick you off? Have you mapped out possible nests within 800 meters? How many locks on your door? (Each door not total) How many alarm systems? One could fail. How many escape routes do you have? Have you mapped out kill zones for the kids to lay suppressive fire while you snap BG's necks? How secure is your internet connection? How well do you know your neighbors? How do you know they aren't al-Qaeda operatives?

Never know what could happen, with the same probability as your phone going off at the exact moment as you're at the same scene as a robbery you could become the target of the guy who used a public john right after you could be pissed because you spilled a few drops on the seat, he used a seat cover but it soaked through and he got your piss on his ass and he goes bananas and uses his military training (post truamatic stress disorder) to snipe you at home. Or some old person could have a massive stroke behind the wheel and side swipe you and you never make it to 7-11. going to stop drivng anytime soon? thousands of people die in cars every year... more probable than your phone going off at the same exact time as the stop and rob is being robbed.

As far as robberies go. There isnt anything material in this world worth my life. If there is a chance me or someone will get hurt for 150 bucks and a snickers barwhatever I'll call the cops and let them do their jobs. If there was a chance I could get the drop on him and not risk anyone getting hurt, maybe but still what is there in a 7-11 worth losing a life over.

We have cops for a reason, to catch crooks. I'm not going to risk my life to keep my phone (insurace, id get a new one), my keys( odds are he's got a car and i have a spare, if he steals my truck insurance covers that too) a nice crkt knife (ohh no 50 bucks) , my zippo (20 bucks) and my wallet, I dont carry cash since debit works everywhere and I can have my cards cancelled before he gets out of the parking lot. A new drivers liscence is a phone call away and ive got more pictures. Tell me, whats worth my life over?

If he didnt kow i was there, I'd call 911 but it's not a huge reason to turn off my ringer all the time in case i happen to be in a 7-11 in the head at the exact same time as someone decides to rob the place. I turn it off when it needs to be off (school, work, movies, restuarant) and leave it on in day to day life, why? Silent I'd have no idea anyone called and vibrate is rough on batteries and with my looser fit pants I dont always feel it.

Moral and ethical right to stop a guy robbing a 7-11, again we have Police for a reason. He's probably armed I'm not, I cant carry the city and county wont give me a permit. So lets see, fists and knife vs gun.....hrm...naw not worth it. So after you get shot doing a cops job and I watch him get arraigned on the 10 o clock news I'll have a glass of bourbon and remark to my GF "Well he tried to do the right thing"

You can fight tooth and nail and die or you can submit and die. Odds are rushing an armed attacker will get you shot faster than saying "Here buddy it's the tan tacoma out front you'll get about 25 MPG so you may have to fill up twice on the way to mexico." Im not an expert, but i think just being cool does better, any cops got numbers on this?

I'd rather lose some stuff then risk me or anyone getting hurt. If you piss him off and he blows the mother of 3 away trying to shoot you as you run around the store fighting him. Hows this, in the firefight that ensues, he hits 2 peopel and you get him...Great trade off, two dead innocents and 1 dead waste of life. I'd rather him drive off and our police do their jobs. They get paid good money out here i'd rather it be put to use then lose 25 bucks and my phone.
Old September 30, 2005, 09:29 PM   #21
USP45usp

Quote:
If there is a chance me or someone will get hurt for 150 bucks and a snickers barwhatever I'll call the cops and let them do their jobs.
Quote:
You can fight tooth and nail and die or you can submit and die.

Not sure what you are trying to say?

If your state offered the "peons" the permits by shall issue (not may issue) would your comments change or be the same?

I do have a few questions:

1. What if the ETA of the LEO's is 10 or more minutes? Have you ever sat at work, 10 minutes till quitting time on a friday (providing that you get the next two days off) and find that it seems like a long time? I bet it seems longer under stress and allot can be done in 10 minutes by the BG.

2. I'm really not sure what you mean with the second quote that I posted. Die if you do, die if you don't, why bother? Hmmm.

Seems like a defeatist attitude to me. My life isn't worth someone elses but, my life isn't worth protecting or taking the chance to ensure my survival instinct.

God forbide that anything bad happens if I am present, but this is life and bad things happen. It's better to prepare for what may happen then to decide what you could have done to be prepared after it happened.

Blackmind was just putting out a "what if" and it wasn't born of paranoia. He was just putting out a scenerio of what could or what may happen if.

And your snide "examples" are just funny (not haha). Yes, anything can happen, so therefore, it's best to be prepared as much as you can and stop sniping at people that bring up a scenerio that one may not have thought about and can ponder on it as if it's justifiable or not.

And, lastly, LEO's are paid to do a job, but unless you have one by your side 24/7, you can't put your plan A as "the LEO's will protect me". They, if it's like here, are far between and many miles from your exact place of emergency.

Well, not lastly on the last one but lastly now: I really get annoyed when people such as yourself do what you do and tries to discredit or make fun of someone that has a good question that others can ponder and then add their comments without malice and condensation.

Okay, I guess I'm finished now.

Wayne
Old September 30, 2005, 09:58 PM   #22
blackmind

After that nearly incoherent rant by Starscream, I'm finished discussing this with him. Then I note that he says he's in California -- another strike.

Go do what you want, dude. And I'll do what I want. Each according to what he feels is justified. But with your attitude of ridicule, I have to wonder why you're even here on a firearms board, if you look down on what many of us do, and how we think.

Maybe you're one of those "gun owners" who is just a hunter, has only a double-barreled shotgun, and does not feel a brotherhood with other gun owners; can't see why we "need an assault weapon"; and thinks we're paranoid if we CCW...

-blackmind
Old October 1, 2005, 12:50 AM   #23
blackmind

Quote:
Starscream]I'd rather lose some stuff then
risk me or anyone getting hurt.
Interesting typo. It's ironic how you nailed the possibilities with it.
First you lose the stuff (since you're so willing to give it to the robber as if you didn't have to work to earn it)...

THEN, you risk you and someone else getting hurt (by putting your faith in the robber being such a good person that he won't hurt you after he's got your stuff).

Quote:
As far as robberies go. There isnt anything material in this world worth my life. If there is a chance me or someone will get hurt for 150 bucks and a snickers barwhatever I'll call the cops and let them do their jobs.

You make me laugh. Even if you were in the can at the 7-11 and became aware of the robbery, do you really sit so optimistic that the cops will get there before the guy has done whatever was on his mind to do, and is off on his way? You put a seriously disturbing amount of confidence in the ability of the police to manage to get themselves between victims and criminals as the crimes happen. Perhaps I would too, in your shoes: perhaps it's necessary in CA to put that kind of blind, reasonless faith in LEO because the government won't allow you the means to protect yourself. I can see how one would be a nervous wreck if he couldn't carry AND didn't have faith in the cops. So maybe you have that faith out of psychological necessity.

Quote:
If there was a chance I could get the drop on him and not risk anyone getting hurt, maybe but still what is there in a 7-11 worth losing a life over.

Maybe for some it's the principle of the thing: an opportunity to see to it that a scumbag armed robber ends his career that day, never having an opportunity to rob or hurt another innocent at a later date.

Quote:
We have cops for a reason, to catch crooks.

Before they are crooks who need to be caught, they have to have victimized someone.

Ergo, cops don't protect people from getting victimized, they go and collect up the victimizer after he's created a victim. Probably more than 90% of the time, they arrive after the damage has been done.

Quote:
I'd rather lose some stuff then risk me or anyone getting hurt. If you piss him off and he blows the mother of 3 away trying to shoot you as you run around the store fighting him. Hows this, in the firefight that ensues, he hits 2 peopel and you get him...Great trade off, two dead innocents and 1 dead waste of life. I'd rather him drive off and our police do their jobs. They get paid good money out here i'd rather it be put to use then lose 25 bucks and my phone.

I'll just close by saying what I'd bet $10,000 that at least ten other people here are thinking:

You make a lot of the arguments that the "antis" make. :barf:

-blackmind
Old October 2, 2005, 12:33 AM   #24
T. O'Heir

Tactics. A cell phone can provided a diversion if it has the technology. Mind you, using one while driving should be a capital offence.
Old October 2, 2005, 12:55 AM   #25
Russ538

here's a thought for the cell phone. Throw the thing so that it hits the wall on the other side of the BG and distracts him, even for a second or two, and then take him out .

Seriously, it might work though. Anything to break his concentration.