The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 17, 2012, 11:04 AM   #26
swk314

In the last seven months, I have drawn my weapon eight times. Fortuately I have never had to use it. I work the midnight shift so my backup can be a half hour away on a good night.
Old April 6, 2012, 09:02 PM   #27
Sleuth

I was a Federal Investigator, so I have a different history. 27 years on the job,guns drawn (aimed at people) many times, no shots fired. Once I was 3 feet from a suspect with ALL the slack out of the trigger of my shotgun, when he decided I was serious and gave up.

I did have to kill someone in the line of duty, but I used my truck.

As for trouble magnets, several studies have been done about some officers who get in far more incidents than the average. I recall NYPD had an officer involved in several shootings, so they assigned him to directing traffic. 1st day on post, the bank on the corner got robbed, he was in another shooting.

They never found any comminalities, it's just some kind of karma. Some cops get in more 'stuff' than others.
Old April 6, 2012, 09:27 PM   #28
Slotback

Drawn a bunch of times over the last 21 years, but thankfully I have not had to pull the trigger.
Old April 9, 2012, 09:17 PM   #29
Wagonman

I've drawn countless times, like everyone has said , clearing buildings etc.

Never shot other than range, thankfully
Old April 28, 2012, 01:22 AM   #30
Big_Bullet

Quote:
To all LEO's !! putting it on the line every day for our communities and families
Second that.
Old April 28, 2012, 04:55 AM   #31
rebs

For all you LEO's, I appreciate you, I respect you and I thank you for the service you do for your communities. I know at times it can be a thankless job but keep up the good work you do. Make it home safe to your families everyday.
Times are getting tougher with the drugs and the economy, more robberies, more drug dealers etc..
Another aspect not mentioned here yet is the cop assisted suicide, it happened to a close friend of mine who is a county Sheriff. It involved a car chase where the guy pulled in a farm behind a barn and when the two officers came around the end of the barn the guy yelled I am going to kill you and pointed a 12 gauge shotgun at them. They both fired, killed the guy and then found out the shotgun was empty. They found a note in his car saying thank you, I wanted to die and couldn't do it myself. I cannot begin to say how bad those two officers felt but it took a time for them to get past that day.
Old April 28, 2012, 07:07 AM   #32
PawPaw

Quote:
Once I was 3 feet from a suspect with ALL the slack out of the trigger of my shotgun, when he decided I was serious and gave up.
I had the same experience with an offender. I was closing on him with my Mod 66 drawn and suddenly all the fight went out of him. Someone asked him later why he decided to give up and he said that he saw Death riding on my shoulder, so he put his hands in the air.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old April 29, 2012, 09:53 AM   #33
Glenn Dee

Just for the record... I was never a "LEO" I was a policeman, or a detective.
Old April 29, 2012, 11:08 AM   #34
TXGunNut

I've met cops like your friend, even worked with a few. My 25 yrs was different. Only time I discharged my weapon on duty was to put down a badly injured dog and I was quite relieved to close that chapter of my life without needing to shoot someone. I like to think I would have been OK with that but it's an event that changes one's life and it wasn't an experience I wanted to have. I lost track of the number of times I drew my weapon in the first several months and never bothered to keep track of that number. Some duty holsters are a bit slow to give up the weapon inside so many situations are simply better handled with weapon in hand from the outset, instead of as a reaction to an escalation of the threat.
I agree about trouble magnets, I was one but I attracted scrappers and I was more than happy to oblige them for several years. After that it got tiresome and recoveries more lengthy and painful. It was even fun for awhile, sometimes 2-3 fights a month. Glad I learned to avoid them, finally.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old April 29, 2012, 11:56 AM   #35
TheNocturnus

Quote:
Just for the record... I was never a "LEO" I was a policeman, or a detective.
LEO stands for Law Enforcement Officer.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old April 29, 2012, 12:45 PM   #36
Glenn Dee

I know what LEO stands for. The Police do a whole lot more than enforce the law. Actually it's the courts that enforce the law.
Old April 29, 2012, 04:19 PM   #37
Noreaster

Routinely during a work week for building searches, bank alarms, funky situations. Numerous times for protection and three times for life saving action. Not all LEO are the same. Some took the fire and police exam and applied to the public works dept. and the police dept. called them first.
Old May 7, 2012, 06:14 PM   #38
HDTVSELLER

Im a dual cert corrections officer and i my self have pulled a shotgun several times but never my side arm.
Old May 8, 2012, 07:14 AM   #39
rebs

Quote:
Im a dual cert corrections officer and i my self have pulled a shotgun several times but never my side arm.
There is another job that gets little if any credit for being a great public service. I know a few corrections officers and their job is no walk in the park. They have to put up with close contact with all the criminals every day they are on duty. It can be a grueling job, atleast LEO's get a break at times and have a day that they make no arrests, they have a day when they help a citizen out, the citizen id grateful and even says thank you. Corrections officers are in direct contact with the criminal element all day long and have to be on their toes. It is a very stressful job.
I just wanted to take a moment to say thank you to the correction officers as well. You guys keep the bad guys where they belong.
Old May 9, 2012, 02:06 AM   #40
armsmaster270

18 years on the force, retired with a herniated disk from a shooting situation. I have polled my weapon or shotgun on numerous occasions as some said too many to count. One shooting a subject raped and sodomized a 52 year old woman & I was sent solo to the call. Perp tried to escape through me with a knife. He didn't make it.

Old May 9, 2012, 09:24 AM   #41
moose_nukelz

Just short of 3 years at work, broke leather numerous times but never fired or been shot at. Did have a guy try and run me over a couple weeks ago.
Old May 9, 2012, 10:10 PM   #42
HDTVSELLER

thanks rebs i do appricate that .. every one has their days and the boring days are good days i always say.
Old May 11, 2012, 11:33 PM   #43
Sgt127

Been doing it for going on 28 years ina pretty rough city. There were days my gun spent as much time out of the holster as in.

I worked the worst part of town for 15 years. All hispanic bars and crack dealers. I averaged 3-4 Felony on view arrests a week. 2-3 stolen cars a month. One or two pursuits a month. Tore up alot of uniforms.

Drove up on a huge fight in front of a bar one night. half a dozen guys were beating this one guy, staggering through the parking lot. I was just gonna hose the whole bunch with pepper spray and, I had it out and was shaking it up yelling " Policia, ALTO!" And, the crowd instantly disperessed, except for the guy being beaten.

I was pretty proud of myself, figured they has seen me roll up, knew I was about to kick all thier butts and fled when the streetlights glinted off my badge...

No. The guy getting beaten had pulled a knife that I couldn't yet see and was turning the tables on them.

He's really ****** and really drunk. He only sees one more guy in the parking lot and starts heading towards me. (Dude, I was trying to save you!).

That can of OC left sparks I threw it down so fast. Drew down on him and in my limited spanish, tried to convey to him that I was the by God Po-lice, I had a gun and, I was about to poke a hole in him. I backed up about three paces, decided I was not going to back into the street and, when he crossed an imaginary line in the parking lot, I was going to shoot him. What saved him was that I could see in his face, his demeanor, whatever, he had no desire to cut a cop, he was ******, drunk and disoriented.. As he approached the imaginary line, I could see the recognition come across his face about what was actually going on, he folded up the knife and tossed it to me.

That would have been an absolutly justified shooting, in the eyes of the law. But, it wouldn't have been to me. I promise you, that happens hundreds of times a day to cops all over this country. We generally try not to shoot people.
Old May 12, 2012, 09:24 PM   #44
Wagonman

I know what LEO stands for. The Police do a whole lot more than enforce the law. Actually it's the courts that enforce the law.

Isn't that a little....

LEO is an accepted term