The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 20, 2011, 05:58 PM   #1
BigCountry8998

Looking to begin reloading my own ammo

I have several pistols ranging from .32 all the way up to .44 magnum . I am realizing that ammo is steadily rising in price and dwindling in quantity so i would like to re load my own but have no idea how or even where to get the necessary equipment can you shed some light on this for me any info received will be greatly appreciated thank you. BigCountry8998
Old January 20, 2011, 06:34 PM   #2
Clay

Head to the reloading forum here. There's also a sticky post at the top of the forum page with the "how to". You can go from a very cheap setup to a nice setup. Start off with looking into a single stage "kit". Go to youtube and watch all the "basic" reloading vids from the user "ammosmith". That'll give you a VERY good tutorial on the "how to" behind it all.
Old January 20, 2011, 06:36 PM   #3
Doodlebugger45

If you go over to the Handloading, Reloading, and Casting section of this very forum, you will find a sticky thread there
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230171
It will get you started very well.
Old January 20, 2011, 06:38 PM   #4
carprivershooter

reloading

I suggest you visit the reloading forum here on TheFiringline, the guys there can help a lot, their first suggestion will be to get several books on reloading and read them and read them and read them again. reloading in not hard.
Old January 20, 2011, 07:15 PM   #5
BigJimP

I highly recommend you consider it --- if you have the right temperment for it.

You need to have a high attention to detail ...and focus on what you're doing.

But I consider it a major part of my shooting hobby - and have been reloading off and on for almost 50 yrs. Dillon Precision, Hornady, RCBS, etc are all making good equipment these days - visit the reloading section on the forum.
Old January 20, 2011, 07:23 PM   #6
BigCountry8998

reloading

Thanks guys i have been a member of several forums and i ask the same thing the responses i received were nothing short of childish so thank you for the professionalism and patience. Sincerely BigCountry8998
Old January 20, 2011, 07:27 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

moving to reloading forum.
Old January 20, 2011, 11:14 PM   #8
Lost Sheep

Welcome, and thanks for asking our advice

You have posed an open-ended question. The advice you get will be more targeted to your needs if we know what they are.

How much do you shoot/intend to shoot per month? Of each cartridge.

I shoot a couple hundred each time I go to the range (not counting rimfire) of an assortment of .357 mag, 9mm 45 ACP, 44 Mag, 45 Colt and 454 Casull.

What is your budget?

Will you set up permanently or put your gear away after each loading session?

I have a growing list of useful links I will post after you have answered (I haven't actually assembled it into a list yet, so I need the time to get it ready.) but the first link on the list is the one mentioned by doodlebugger45 in post #3.

Lost Sheep, looking forward to hearing from you
Old January 21, 2011, 12:37 AM   #9
700cdl

Don't do it, it has the slim potential of being very unlikely hazardous, and only an idiot hand loads. There is nothing wrong with the fair quality or dwindling availability of factory ammunition. I hand load and can attest to the fact that the savings, greatly improved quality, and satisfaction of building your own custom ammo, just isn't worth the minimal risk of a mistake by a humble and seemingly good listener, such as you seem to be.
So based on my short assessment of hand loading, I would hope we all hear some exciting news from you about your first batch of loads! So good luck and I honestly hope you will soon be one of us. It's a lot of fun also, especially if you use a single stage press. As most will probably suggest, think about starting with a goos single stage press. It really helps in understanding the purpose of each step and procedure. On a more serious note, when I started doing it there wasn't all the resources available now that make it easier to understand, such as quality video instruction, and even some hands on instruction I've seem popping up hear and there. So if someone like me was able to learn if from books, which wasn't one of my strengths back then, I'm sure a person who is humble enough to ask questions first, as you seem to be, will do just fine. My only warning at this point in time, is, once you start you will most likely become severely addicted to it.
Old January 21, 2011, 02:28 AM   #10
silvercorvette

You can get a lot of good advice on line but it would be helpful if you can hook up with someone that lives close by so they can guide you through the learning process.
Old January 21, 2011, 07:36 AM   #11
MW surveyor

Lost sheep has put together a very good list of what equipment to buy. Look at it on the Ruger forum.

Get a turret press instead of the single stage. You can use it single stage while you are learning and then move on to a more rapid rate of reloading for hand gun cartridges. Wish that I would have had this part of advice when I started. Now off to buy a good turret press.
Old January 21, 2011, 07:39 AM   #12
DiscoRacing

get a turret press directly from lee reloading in wisc. and you can get all your dies there also...

I have the four hole turret press..

.. and half of my dies are lee
Old January 21, 2011, 11:12 AM   #13
dlb435

Your first purchase should be a good reloading manual. You may even find one at your local library.
The next big choice will be the type of press to get; single stage, turret or progressive. Don't get fixated on the brand of press. All of the major brands are good and all have their bad points.
Try shopping Ebay for a good used press. Look for a complete kit with all the extras. I've picked up several there at good prices. Older presses are often just as good as the latest model. Reloading hasn't changed much in the last 40 years.
Stay away from single use presses like the Dillon Square Deal or any other pistol only presses. You will eventually load rifle rounds even if you don't think so now.
Good luck!
Old January 21, 2011, 02:57 PM   #14
BigJimP

At this point, you need to understand the process ....

a. on how a case gets cleaned and prepped for reloading

b. figure out what caliber you want to start with / maybe something really easy and forgiving like a .45 acp...

c. figure out what kind of components you need / and are available in your area - for bullets, powder and primers. There are lots of options on all 3 - lead, jacketed or plated bullets - low density powder, high volume powders, how they meter, how clean are they - what kind of primers you want to use - stay away from Wolf primers and focus on Win, Rem or CCI primarily.

d. How does a press work - how it resizes, how it deprimes, how it re-primes, how does it dispense powder, how it bells a case to accept a bullet, how to seat a bullet, how to fully size a finish cartridge...

e. Try and find a local mentor that will help you. Talk to the guys at your local range. Look at a lot of different equipment - from turret to progressive machines.

f. Figure out the "Qualilty Steps" that will keep you Safe ...Don't Be a Chemist - follow published recipes from know authorities !!!!

All this stuff is easy ....and logical ....it just take some time. Don't get in a hurry until you really understand it / and hopefully visit a few guys shops to see how their operations are set up ....
Old January 21, 2011, 11:57 PM   #15
Lost Sheep

On Mentors

BigJimP (post 14) is right.

Of the "10 Advices for the Novice Reloader" I put together some time ago, "Advice #4 Find a mentor." is one of the best, if you can manage it. (Not everyone is so lucky).

I started loading with the guy who sold me my press watching over my shoulder as I loaded my first 6 rounds to make sure I did not blow myself up, load a powderless cartridge or set off a primer in the press. I could have learned more with a longer mentoring period, but I learned a lot in those first 6 rounds, as he explained each step. I educated myself after that (Starting with "The ABCs of reloading and A Lyman Loading Manual). But now, on the internet, I have learned a WHOLE LOT MORE.

In-person is still the best.

There is no substitute for someone watching you load a few cartridges and critiquing your technique BEFORE you develop bad habits or make a dangerous mistake. (A mistake that might not have consequences right away, but maybe only after you have escaped trouble a hundred times until one day you get bit, for instance having case lube on your fingers when you handle primers 99 times, no problem because primers are coated with a sealant, but the hundredth primer may not be perfectly sealed and now winds up "dead")

After you have been mentored, mentor someone else. Not necessarily in loading or the shooting sports, but in SOMETHING in which you are enthusiastic and qualified. Just give back to the community.

Lost Sheep

P.S.
Thanks, MW surveyor for the mention. I can only assume you saw my equipment list somewhere else, as I did not post the link here yet. I was going to wait until I had the whole list made up, but here are two linkks that might be of interest.

http://rugerforum.net/reloading/2938...andloader.html

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430391
see posts 11 and 13
Old January 22, 2011, 01:42 AM   #16
HoraceHogsnort

BigJimP said: "I highly recommend you consider it --- if you have the right temperment for it. You need to have a high attention to detail ...and focus on what you're doing."

Right on BigJim.
Old January 22, 2011, 08:58 AM   #17
MW surveyor

Lost Sheep - you are welcome.

Saw your list on the Ruger forum. It may not be complete but it does have all of the basics and includes the other goodies that you "need" later.

I also have to add, that the majority of any questions that a new reloader is likely to have, the answers given on this and other forums have always been helpful in the extreme.

Jim
Old January 22, 2011, 10:30 PM   #18
JiminTexas

Here all of your questions will be answered. A lot of realy nice people with a worls of knowledge.
http://forums.handloads.com/default.asp