The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 26, 2006, 11:18 PM   #1
Huskerz85

S&w .38

I'm looking into buying a S&W K-38 "Pre Model 15" for $279. It's got checkered wood grips, a 4" barrel and nickel finish in pretty good condition.

I don't know the serial number, but for that price, I want to know if I'm either getting a good deal or not.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old May 26, 2006, 11:43 PM   #2
hivel37

I'd say buy it. Seems like a good price on any smith that hasn't been abused.
Old May 28, 2006, 02:01 PM   #3
Archie

Just being picky...

The 'pre-model 15' should be a Combat Masterpiece. They were available in either 4" or 2" with adjustable sights. The front sight was the 'Baughman [quick draw] ramp sight'. (I think the oddest looking revolver in the world is a 2" Combat Masterpiece with target hammer, target trigger and full target grips.)

The K-38 was a 'pre-model 14'; and was only available in 6" barrel. The front sight was a square backed verticle patridge type sight. (It was a target revolver.)

Still if the revolver in question is a pinned barrel gun in good condition, $279 is a decent price. Whatever the seller calls it. Don't bother correcting him.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old June 2, 2006, 03:02 PM   #4
Huskerz85

Thanks Archie for the info............*(through some haggling, managed to snag the revolver for $250! )

I've checked the serial number (K 235107) with Supica/Nahas' "Std. Catalog of Smith & Wesson" and I got a date of 1955 (for serials K 231256 through K 266164).....I looked earlier in the book and found that my gun is actually an earlier model K-38 Combat Masterpiece--"Pre Model 15"

What distinguishes it from the Pre Model 14 you mentioned is the barrel length (mine is 4"......14's is 6") and the sights (mine has the adjustable rear sights).

Will put some pics up later for ya
Old June 2, 2006, 09:57 PM   #5
Huskerz85

Sorry if some of the pics turned out bad, I'm pretty new to digital cameras there ....but as you can see, that's my gun. The other revolver (the blued one in those last two shots) is my Taurus M17C.