The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 16, 2015, 09:15 PM   #26
THEWELSHM

I find it interesting that a Hornady powder drop could malfunction to this extent..., it is possible to double charge if the press hangs up
Old March 16, 2015, 10:14 PM   #27
SRE

yup thats too much powder. That pistol is tough as it gets too.

I never ever trust anything except for my analog scales. You can not. Never ever assume things are always tweaked to perfection. Alway and I mean always check 1 out of every 5 cartridge charges on a scale. Digital or analog whatever. Just check.

I was in a situation where someone was severely injured when an automatic charge dispenser, It will remain nameless, failed and and dropped what we think was a double charge of Lil Gun into a large caliber revolver cartridge. Which also will remain nameless. His Smith & Wesson blew up and so did his index finger

This guy, a friend of mine, had been reloading for almost 30 years. He switched up his setup to a new "improved progressive powder thru" press as he called it. It cost him a lot and I was put in a situation in which I will never forget.

I'm not trying to be anything other than honest when I say: always check. And always have it in the back of your mind that no matter how much money you spend or spent on a setup which makes reloading "faster," that nothing is perfect. Don't reload to save time and money only. Make it a session each time where precision and care is taken to know that your end product is safe and best you can produce. Sorry for the rant.
Old March 16, 2015, 11:42 PM   #28
Dragonflydf

Sorry to hear about your Blackhawk, you might look into getting a powder cop, it takes the place of a die, it has a plunger with a white O ring, in the center that is lifted by the powder charge, the ring is your visual reference, too much powder it stands high, not enough, it does not lift as much.
Old March 17, 2015, 03:45 AM   #29
Sevens

Using Titrgroup to make full magnum, full bore .44 Mag loads is a HORRENDOUS idea right from the start.

If you had been using a proper powder for full-boat .44 Magnum loads (H110, IMR-4227, Accurate#9, Alliant 2400) you would not only not be able to double charge any of them, you wouldn't be able to bust a Super Blackhawk, it's maybe one of the strongest .44's on the planet.

It was a double charge, not an overcharge. And it was a tragic idea to use Titegroup in this role at all.
Old March 17, 2015, 06:14 AM   #30
MrMopar

Sevens. In all honesty, I was looking for a "one-stop shop" powder. I was not loading full bore magnum loads. A 240 grain bullet will accept up to 10 grains of Titegroup.

So, why is Titegroup so bad? The is a published recipe. I have only been doing this 3 years or so, I don't have a wide knowledge base.

I reloaded some 454 Casull with Titegroup and with some H110. I used 11 grains of Titegroup and 26 grains of H110. 250 gr hornady XTP bullets. Small rifle primers, Rem 7 1/2.

One of the Titegroup loads had two distinct pops. The primer went, then the powder. I have it on video. I will not be using Titegroup again in the 454 Casull. But, if there is a published load, you are saying I am wrong to follow it?
Old March 17, 2015, 07:18 AM   #31
NoSecondBest

Quote:
So, why is Titegroup so bad? The is a published recipe. I have only been doing this 3 years or so, I don't have a wide knowledge base.
It doesn't fill the case more than half way. On your progressive it allows for double charging and there's no way for you to see it. One other thing that needs mentioned: if you double charge one, you aren't charging another. Now you've got a squib load waiting to get stuck in the barrel. Use powders that have volume enough to fill the case half full or more.
Old March 17, 2015, 07:20 AM   #32
skizzums

I have no issues with titegroup, it's a clan running and money-saving powder. but if you have a process which can allow for a double charge, then I would want a fluffy powder that would over-fill. this is why I don't think I will ever step up to a progressive, even though I really want to. every time I see a horror story, it's always from someone running a progressive, I know mistakes can happen on anything, but I love having all my powdered loads in a tray at one time so I can look them all-over before seating the bullet. I think the only single stage issues I ever see have been squibs instead of doubles, which can be found at the shooters end before blowing a gun to pieces. maybe I just don't trust myself enough for a progressive.

I don't think I could give up this view

I like to see all my powder at once and then move any empty cases AWAY from my table to I don't pick up an empty w/o thinking about it. I don't have any rifle loads that can except a double, so it's only the pistols that concern me. I powder and seat rifle bullets one at a time. sorry about your gun, maybe going backwards in technology could be the right step. it's a whole lot slower though, let me tell ya
Old March 17, 2015, 08:17 AM   #33
LOLBELL

MrMopar, Having a One-stop shop powder is fine but there are others that will fit the bill better IMHO. I have a brother that swears by Tightgroup. I hate it, it's way too fast of a powder for me.

A lot of people will tell you Unique is hard to meter and burns dirty, but I use it for my one- stop shop powder. It's easier to detect an over or double charge. Some calibers I load won't double charge with Unique, the ones that will are easy enough to see that you would have a hard time NOT catching it.

I will also add that I don't do the progressive thing. I single stage because there is too much going on at one time for me to keep an eye on. I also like that view (^^^^^^^) on every cartridge I reload.
Old March 17, 2015, 08:46 AM   #34
F. Guffey

I know the weight of the bullet and the case with the powder and the primer. After loading my reloaded rounds have a weight, there is no + /- unless I have cases with weights that do not match.

If the weight of my reloaded rounds do not match it has to be the powder.

F. Guffey
Old March 17, 2015, 09:32 AM   #35
The Verminator

We would be amiss if we did not note quite strongly that the title of this thread is profoundly WRONG.

The ""Super BlackHawk Failed"" is not what happened at all.

It looks like the Super Blackhawk performed admirably.

The handloader.....not so much.
Old March 17, 2015, 11:36 AM   #36
MrMopar

I can tell you are the helpful one on this board Verminator. Thank you.
Old March 17, 2015, 12:21 PM   #37
skizzums

I am sorry Mopar, but I agree. with someone just perusing google and comes across this thread w/o reading through the whole thing may take away that a BH is a p.o.s.

even if it just turned one person away from the Ruger because of the misleading title and then the picture, that would be too many, because it's undeserving. had nothing to do with a Ruger failure at all......

I understand that people make mistakes and am not knocking YOU at all, I really am sorry for your "loss", and I hope people learn something and make the needed changes to their process. thanks for sharing your experience even though it may be embarrassing, some people wouldn't even share it, so you have my respect for that
Old March 17, 2015, 12:45 PM   #38
mehavey

"Ruger Super Blackhawk saves shooter...."

(Now there's a byline...)
Old March 17, 2015, 12:50 PM   #39
Sevens

Many folks keep pointing out that using any fast powder will only fill half the case or less. This is true (and Titegroup may be -the- fastest powder on the market)

My point is...
That is merely a side characteristic of using a fast powder in a large magnum round. The REAL thing to be cognizant of here is that the pressure curve of a fast powder in a large magnum case is a catastrophe waiting to happen.

I do understand the economy angle. I also understand the desire to have only one or two powders to do "everything" but you HAVE to know that you are handcuffing yourself when you do that. You are literally setting yourself up for FAILURE because you choose to run a powder that is simply not appropriate for the task.

I run Titegroup in .44 Mag: 5.7 grains over a cast lead 240gr LSWC for 870fps.
It is a light, target, FUN round.

If you want to make magnum loads... 1,200fps and above, you need to use the proper powder for it. That is s slow burner, one of the ones I mentioned in my previous post.

If you had been using H110 in a Super Blackhawk and you FILLED the case, it wouldn't burst a Super Blackhawk. But Titegroup? Bullseye? AA#2? Zip? Red Dot?

KABOOM.
Those are small pistol powders. In .44 Magnum -- light target loads ONLY.

It's the pressure curve. A fast burning powder reaches it's peak pressure quickly. Way too quickly to be a good choice for .44 Magnum. (and .357, .41, .454, .460, .500)

If you look at the economy, it is not worth it. The powder is very low in cost when you break down the numbers.
Old March 17, 2015, 05:00 PM   #40
The Verminator

Quote:
I can tell you are the helpful one on this board Verminator. Thank you.
Hope you didn't take offense at what I said.

I meant to clear the name of the Super Blackhawk, not to insult you.

Like somebody said, someone glancing quickly at the thread titles might get a bad impression of a great revolver.

Double charges happen. Guns blow up. That's just a part of life. Everybody makes mistakes.

No reflection on you.
Old March 19, 2015, 06:41 AM   #41
MrMopar

Verminator

My apologies.

Thread title changed

Ruger sent me and RMA. They want to see my gun. I want it back as it is going in a walnut display case on my wall in the gun room. They better send it back.
Old March 19, 2015, 10:09 AM   #42
The Verminator

That's good.

AND......the display case is a great idea!!

Old March 19, 2015, 10:49 AM   #43
Doyle

I don't want to derail this thread too much but several mentioned that Tightgroup wasn't a good powder to use in this scenario because it is easy to double charge with it.

That being said, what is Tightgroup's ideal niche? It has to be good for something.
Old March 19, 2015, 11:36 AM   #44
mehavey

(I use) TiteGroup all the time in heavy 45 Colt/Vaquero loads. It's my Go-To powder.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost....17&postcount=5

Since I load everything to a loading block/then check levels all-at-once under direct lighting,
I haven't encountered any reason to lose sleep due to case fill concerns (Knock on wood)
Old March 19, 2015, 01:26 PM   #45
Sevens

Titegroup is perfectly fine and a very good choice in any place where a really, REALLY fast burning powder is desired. Think: small case & high pressure (9mm) or large case and low pressure (.38 Special). As I wrote earlier, it also works very well for VERY light target loads in a huge case like .44 Mag, where I run a 5.7 grain charge.

The fact that it can be doubled, tripled and quadruple charged in a large volume case is not the reason I say it is a horrible idea to use it in .44 Magnum, that is merely a side characteristic and easy visual indicator.

The fact is that when you use Titegroup in .44 Magnum at the top published loads, here is what you do:

You build a round that has the absolute MAX allowable pressure-- all the while returning the LEAST amount of velocity considering that pressure-- in a round who's pressure curve is irrationally quick, sharp and vertical.

When you use H110, you have built a round who's pressure curve climbs consistently and predictably in a manner that is specifically designed for a cartridge case of that size, to peak in a predictable and expected fashion -AND- return the top possible velocities that the round is capable of doing.

Using H110 gives you:
--top velocity, more than Titegroup could ever produce
--rational, predictable pressure curve, with no radical spikes unlike Titegroup
--powder being used precisely as it was intended, unlike Titegroup
--far, far more safe loaded round, with no pitfalls like Titegroup
--no ability, even if you dumped a case full, to blow up a Super Blackhawk

WIth the PROPER powder, you can pick a place to start...
See what happens, slowly advance the load and you can witness all the little things we look for as the pressure climbs along with the load data.

You cannot do that when you load Titegroup in to .44 Magnum!

Titegroup, for full bore top-drawer magnum loads in .44 Magnum is not only an awful choice, it may actually literally be the worst POSSIBLE choice of the popular powders widely available on the market.
Old March 19, 2015, 01:46 PM   #46
mehavey

If you are running medium 22,000 psi loads for cast bullets that have
to seal the bore quickly using Lyman #2, TiteGroup is absolutely ideal.

But full up loads are a different matter altogther.
Old March 19, 2015, 02:41 PM   #47
Snyper

Quote:
Ruger sent me and RMA. They want to see my gun. I want it back as it is going in a walnut display case on my wall in the gun room.

They better send it back.
I'd get written confirmation of that before sending it in, since they may not want to send it back
Old March 19, 2015, 03:05 PM   #48
Sevens

I would rather Ruger not be contacted at all. I simply cannot see where there is any blame likely to be on their part.

I also have a guess as to what they will do:
They will offer to sell you a new replacement gun for cost or very near, much lower than you could get new from ANY source... but you will have to surrender the revolver to take advantage of that offer.
Old March 19, 2015, 03:35 PM   #49
NoSecondBest

Quote:
I would rather Ruger not be contacted at all. I simply cannot see where there is any blame likely to be on their part.

I also have a guess as to what they will do:
They will offer to sell you a new replacement gun for cost or very near, much lower than you could get new from ANY source... but you will have to surrender the revolver to take advantage of that offer.
If it's the owner's fault that it blew up, what's the down side to accepting Ruger's offer of a free, or cheap replacement? Do you think it's better to keep the damaged gun and never shoot it again? That doesn't make any sense at all.
Old March 19, 2015, 04:29 PM   #50
Sevens

I suppose my thought process is on a larger level, playing Devil's advocate.

Seems to me that Ruger has 0% fault and the owner has 100% fault and the owner deserves a trophy blown up gun and not a low cost replacement. I shudder to think of what Ruger's eventual step would be if many folks kept blowing guns up in this manner.

These are merely my opinions - I ask nor expect anyone to agree.