The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 14, 2015, 08:43 PM   #1
TheDutchman19

Nightforce windage issue

So here's a loaded question. I shot my new 6.5 x 47 for the first time today. All and all I was super happy, but I had one issue.

As I was zeroing out the scope, I ran out of windage adjustment. I am working with a Bighorn action, with integrated 1913 rail, Seekin's Precision rings and a Nightforce 12x42 NSX.

When I was mounting the scope everything was great and aligned perfect. I am planning on flipping the rings 180 degrees. After that, short of calling Nightforce, does any one have any ideas on what to try next? I would appreciate any input. Thanks

Last edited by TheDutchman19; March 14, 2015 at 09:09 PM.
Old March 15, 2015, 02:19 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

The way I do this is to first bring the scope crosshair adjustment to center by rotating the scope on the homemade fixture depicted below. I clamp the fixture to the kitchen table and I adjust the elevation and windage until rotating the scope 360° does not change the point crosshair is centered on. When the adjustments are off-center, the hair crossing point will orbit the center of the field of view rather than staying on it.

The elevation can be on the low side of its adjustment range when the crosshairs are centered, but if the windage is not in the within a few clicks of the middle of it's adjustment range after doing this, you have a scope problem. If the windage is in the middle of the adjustment range, then you have a scope mount alignment problem. This could range from a bad base to misaligned scope mount holes or other problems with the gun (bent barrel; badly out-of-square receiver face).

You can make a rough cross-check by setting the scope in the rings on the rife and putting a laser bore sighter into the gun. The bore sighters are often off a few MOA, plus the sight line should now be parallel with the bore unless you are using long range rings with some elevation built into them. With standard rings you would ideally expect to be looking at a point above the laser equal to the height of your scope centerline above your bore centerline.

NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 16, 2015, 05:44 AM   #3
cryogenic419

Something somewhere is out of whack. Those scopes offer up a good deal of adjustment.

When I was young and inexperienced and first getting into guns I had a rifle I mounted a scope on. I spread the rings out as far as I possibly could and had a hard time getting things to adjust before running out of adjustment. Finally broke down and talked to the "gunsmith" at a local shop who said remount the scope with the rings closer together. I did and it fixed my issues. Not quite sure why or how it worked I just know it did.

The only thing that jumps out at me is perhaps the ring/scope alignment.

Hopefully someone with more experience comes along.
Old March 18, 2015, 09:38 PM   #4
geetarman

Are you sure your rail is not misdrilled? Are you sure the action is drilled correctly to accept the rail? Are there ANY burrs or excess anodize on the rail that could cause the rings to be shifted off?

I have a Nightforce scope and it is a dandy. Something in your setup does not sound right.

Any pictures of your rig from the top to see the scope and the setup?

Are you sure the rings are perfectly square in the rail slots?

Hope this helps.

A picture could tell us a lot.

Carpe Cerveza
Old March 19, 2015, 05:29 PM   #5
Nathan

Can you try another scope or put the Nightforce on a different gun?

I would try to do some basic analysis before mailing stuff around only to have people tell you their stuff is OK.