The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 12, 2014, 09:20 PM   #1
Jerry45

Timney Trigger. How many...

have had to modify their Remmy 700 bottom metal for install? I am considering installing one in my new SPS tactical. I have installed Jewells in three of my 700s with no modification necessary. I'd like to try a Timney but hate grinding on my rifles if I can help it.
Old February 12, 2014, 09:27 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

The Remington trigger is one of the best -- if you can adjust it. I'd save my money and adjust the trigger.

BTW, I took apart a Timney trigger and had to stone the parts.
Old February 12, 2014, 10:32 PM   #3
Jerry45

I agree that the "older" Remington triggers were very nice. I had one in my 70's vintage 30-06. However when reduced to a 2.5 lb. pull it eventually had the dreaded ND when closing the bolt. When adjusted to 3.5 it was once again safe. I wanted 2.5 lbs. so I installed a Jewell. Problem solved.

The trigger on the new SPS Tactical is terrible. Remington claims it can be reduced to 3.5 with the external adjusting screw. Best it will do is 4.5. I actually want 2.5 and a "safe" trigger. So it's either another Jewell or a Timney.

I hear quite a bit of praise for the Timney, but I also hear that I may have to modify (grind a notch in the floor-plate. It's not that big a deal but I'd prefer not to have to.
Old February 13, 2014, 12:04 AM   #4
Clark

I only own (3) Rem 700s, a 1963, a 1971, and a 1996.

They all have great triggers.

But the Timney really helps the Mosin Nagant.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old February 13, 2014, 12:18 AM   #5
thekyrifleman

I have 6 700's. A '62, '65, '78, '92, '01, '06.....the three newer ones all have Jewell triggers... The older ones are all set at approximately 3-3.5# and function flawlessly.
Old February 13, 2014, 12:56 AM   #6
Jerry45

Yes, my 1973? (some day I'll look at the code and verify the year. I bought it new and I believe it was in 73. May have been 72.) had a flawless trigger but it was about 4.5 lbs. I reduced it to 2.5, safety checked it and it worked really well for about two years. One day at the range I chambered a round and BANG. To be honest I believe "I" may have hit the trigger buy since I wasn't sure I re-adjusted it to 3.5. Worked fine until I put the Jewell in it.

I bought a SPS AAC-SD a few months back and the trigger adjust down to 3.5 but since I wanted 2.5 I put a Jewell in it. It had a barrel problem so I put a Bartelin on it. I hated to cut it short so it's 27.5 + brake. It shoots goooood now but it's a little heavy for hunting. I still wanted a short barrel 308 for hunting so I just got the SPS (I hope it shoots better than the AAC did). I was willing to live with a 3.5 trigger but the SPS won't go below 4.5. I was thinking about putting the SPS AAC-SD trigger in it but since all my other rifles are set to 2.5 I decided to put either a Timney or Jewell in it. I found out the Timney will probably call for modifications to the floor-plate and just found out passably even the stock. I don't really want to grind on the bottom metal and I sure as heck don't want to grind on the new B&C stock it's going in, so I'll probably be getting another Jewell. Just though I'd see what experience people here had with the Timney (if what I was hearing other places was the norm or not) before I ordered one.
Old February 13, 2014, 02:17 PM   #7
Jerry45

Just ordered another Jewell.
Old February 13, 2014, 07:45 PM   #8
nemesiss45

Maybe it's because I spent most of my life shooting assault rifles and WWII era rifles, but I think the X mark pro trigger on my 700 sps varmint is a dream come true. Maybe I need to shoot one of these other triggers to see what all the hype is about... but until that opportunity arises, I'll save my $200 for more guns and reloading components
Old February 15, 2014, 02:47 PM   #9
Jerry45

Compared to my old, 1970s 700 trigger this X mark is crap. So is the SPS Hoge overmold stock. It feels good but it's way to flimsy. I've ordered another Jewell. They are really nice triggers and drop right into B&C stocks.
Old February 15, 2014, 05:04 PM   #10
nemesiss45

I DO agree about the stock... though mine was not the Hogue, it was the cheaper synthetic specific to the varmint and VTR. I replaced it with a Choate tactical stock as soon as i could afford it.
Old March 5, 2014, 11:05 PM   #11
Colorado Redneck

Replaced the trigger in 700 SPS Varmint

Got a Timney and it fit in pretty easy. The original trigger was terrible and the first hex screw head stripped out when I tried to adjust it. The Timney was a great trigger.
Old March 5, 2015, 10:00 AM   #12
GrnMtn

I just bought the 700 XCR Compact Tactical. The 700 came with the X-Mark Pro trigger, not the 40-X trigger. I haven't fired the 700 yet, but the safety does not disengage smooth, the safety is kind of clunky and loud.

Do the timney or Jewell triggers have a smoother and quiet function when disengaging the safety?
Old March 5, 2015, 03:32 PM   #13
hoghunting

Quote:
I hear quite a bit of praise for the Timney, but I also hear that I may have to modify (grind a notch in the floor-plate. It's not that big a deal but I'd prefer not to have to
You might have to widen the opening in the trigger guard for the bolt release, but that only takes a couple of minutes with a file, it's very simple. You don't need to touch the floor plate.