The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 21, 2013, 12:50 PM   #1
carguychris

Pre-64 Non-Serialized Winchester .22's & C&R Status?

Howdy all,

As I write this, we are only 10 days away from 2014, the 50-year anniversary of the discontinuation of the vaunted "Old Model" pre-64 Winchesters. This means that all pre-64 models will soon become C&R under the 50-year rule.

I know that several low-budget .22LR rifle models such as the Model 67 and 69A were produced through 1963, but they normally did not have serial numbers, thus making the exact production dates of most individual rifles impossible to determine.

Here's my question. Does anyone know, from a verifiable source, the exact date on which the non-serialized pre-64 Winchester .22 rifles were discontinued? In other words, was production definitively over on December 31, 1963, or did it linger into 1964 as leftover parts were used up?

FWIW I've purchased a few of these rifles since I got my 03 FFL, and have dutifully logged them in my bound book, to stay on the safe side. However, I'm interested in knowing exactly when I can get ANY non-serialized pre-64 .22 shipped directly to my door from out-of-state. Also, it would be helpful to advise the C&R FFL community of the date when ALL transactions involving these rifles will be required to be logged in the bound book, with no exceptions.

Thanks in advance!
Old December 22, 2013, 05:50 PM   #2
PetahW

AFAIK, the "official" (factory declaration) was 1964, not into 1964.

That said, IIRC, most (if not all) of the un-numbered .22's had a DOM stamped into the bottom of their bbl, @ the rear.