The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 18, 2012, 10:54 PM   #1
jason41987

Suomi M31 or PPSH-41?

im looking to get a pistol caliber carbone... but, id like something historical too so im looking at the PPSH-41s and suomi M31s... i actually like the design of the suomi more, i think its a simpler design... and 9mm is so much cheaper and easier to find... but i really like the high energy, almost rifle like characteristics of the 7.62x25 round... since i dont think i could convert a suomi to 7.62x25, it leaves me with a decision

so... im looking to get one or the other... was wondering if anyone could share some information that may help me decide, or their personal experiences with either one based on ease of cleaning, reliability, ergonomics, durability, and accuracy?
Old December 19, 2012, 01:42 AM   #2
raftman

IMO they're both severely overweight for a pistol caliber carbine, by at least 2 or 3 pounds. The ergonomics on both are not good, and I think both designs are not as durable or reliable as the weapons they were modeled on due to adapting them to work semi-auto. IMO the PPSh-41 is plenty simple, and low-maintenance but if you were gonna go for a pistol-caliber carbine styled after a WWII SMG, I'd see if you can find one of those PPS-43 carbines, they were available in both 9mm and 7.62 Tokarev, but lighter and handier than either the Suomi or the Shpagin. Although honestly I cannot say for sure if they are still being made.
Old December 19, 2012, 05:04 AM   #3
jason41987

the ppsh-43 just seems to lack any beauty to me... they were designed entirely for function, and i really like the way the wood stocks look on the 41 and suomis
Old December 20, 2012, 04:01 PM   #4
chris in va

How about an M1 carbine or semiauto Thompson, the WW2 version? Ammo would be a heck of a lot easier to obtain.