The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 30, 2011, 01:28 AM   #1
Frankiedub

Best deer buckshot reload for Ithaca mag 10 HELP ME!

I have a Ithaca mag 10 with a 32" full choke barrel. I'm looking for buckshot reloads for deer, or a recipe.... Preferably from someone with experience with this if possible. I will not shoot a factory load as they are horrible. I had a friend who was reloading in the 1970's and 1980's who was loading in 0 00 and 000. I could roll deer at 80-100 yards. All I ever had to do was put the bead on the deer and watch it drop. All I know is he tuned the load for this gun and that he used chilled shot and the load was crimped tight with paper at the tip, not plastic all crimped to the middle...He has since passed and I cannot find any recipe he may have had. I have tried nitro reloads and they just don't have it... The loads just aren't that at past 50. I am not interested in sending the gun out for choke tubes or cutting the barrel.... It's a fixed full and I want to leave it that way. Can someone please help? I have 2 other guys in my group and we are biting at the bit for a "hot load". I hope someone can help.... Thanks!
Old January 30, 2011, 01:45 AM   #2
M.O.A.

try this if u want. Win. western plastic, 17-#0's, sp10 wad, 51.0 gr. blue dot
thats straght out of alliants 2000 guide
Old February 1, 2011, 07:05 PM   #3
longspurr

Frankie
I think you need to visit Ballistic products website. They have both the loading manuals & the loading components.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Buc...tinfo/00MBUCK/

Then you need to find someone to do the loading.
Old February 1, 2011, 08:08 PM   #4
merbenz

over land coach gun

i have a nice double barrel overland rossie coach gun open hammers on the side 12 gage like it was new ,i shot it 2 times and will sell it at the right price ,this same model gun was used in movies a lot of deadwood movies and with clint eastwood james bond ect it has a lot of history all the way down to cutting the gun down to a short barrel type this is a 30 in 12 ga good for most any shooting because of its barrel length has a good reach i just moved on to had guns ,
Old February 1, 2011, 11:10 PM   #5
Volucris

IIRC buckshot is illegal for deer.

There is nothing wrong with commercial slug loads. For your shotgun just buy a couple boxes of this:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=449238

Will do the trick. And please remember that slugs are not a long-range caliber ethical for hunting.....

Get closer, get a centerfire rifle, or move to a state that allows the latter.
Old February 2, 2011, 08:15 AM   #6
darkgael

10 Ga.

Yes, Ballistic Products has a pamphlet (a big one) "The Mighty 10 Gauge".

Quote:
Doesn't that depend on the State that you hunt in?

Rolling deer at 100 yards with buckshot......You've done that.....I'd love to know what that friend put into those loads - wads, especially. I'd love to see a pattern at 100 yards. He had to do something to keep it tight. By the book, a load fired through a full choke will spread one inch per yard (barrel length has nothing to do with it). So, by the book, that pattern should be 100 inches wide. It had, actually, to be less if it was a consistent deer dropper. I know that buckshot does tend to pattern tighter than birdshot so that is one reason that I'd like to see a pattern. I may go out and try it with a 12 gauge (but not today).
Good luck finding a load.
Here is a link to the reload data base at Hodgdon. Just click on the drop downs and then click on Get Data. For manufacturer and powder, use "all".
Pete
http://data.hodgdon.com/shotshell_load.asp
Old February 2, 2011, 09:07 AM   #7
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volucris
Not in this state. We used to hunt deer with buckshot quite a lot. One favorite tactic in a palmetto swamp was to get four or five hunters, separated by about 30 yards, and start easing through the palmettos. Invariably we'd jump a deer and a shotgun with buckshot was the ideal weapon for that kind of hunting.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com