The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 15, 2010, 03:24 PM   #1
Orvil Newton

Charles Daly Field Tactical 12g pump question

First let me say that, while I have many years of experience with rifles and hand guns, I am new to shotguns. So consider me a rank dumb noob on this one.

I got a new CD 12ga pump yesterday, a very nice looking nickel finish 18.5" Field Tactical model. Of course the action is stiff, not unexpected with a new gun. The problem I am having is that the action lock seems to engage randomly. The manual says to depress the action release tab to unlock the action, and this is true but I can rack the slide a few times, one, two six - then it will lock up and I have to press the release tab again. I tried dry firing the gun and pulling the trigger seems to release the action but once the slide is returned to battery it locks again and the release must be pressed. Sometimes it will cycle once or twice or five or six times then lock.

I tried loading the gun and cycling the rounds out (With the safety engaged of course) with the same results.

Any ideas what is going on here. It may be me just being ignorant or it may be a problem with the gun. Either way I need to get it handled ASAP

Thanks
Old January 15, 2010, 04:32 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

First thing is to tear down and fully clean the gun...
Also make real sure you cycle "with authority" fully every time.
Brent
Old January 15, 2010, 11:43 PM   #3
MAX100

It's like an 870, once you pump the action and cock the hammer the action lock is engaged. You have to pull the trigger or push the action lock to pump it again.

The action is faster on CD pump than an 870. When pull the trigger and fire it you don't have to release the trigger to pump the action. On an 870 the trigger has to be released before you can pump the action.

The action is very smooth on the new CD Tactical pump shotguns. I am surprised that yours is rough. Yours must be an older model.

GC
Old January 16, 2010, 12:41 AM   #4
Ridge_Runner_5

When it goes full forward, it should lock. Press the lever or pull the trigger to release the lock. EVERY TIME
Old January 16, 2010, 06:46 PM   #5
Orvil Newton

Yup. Thorough cleaning, lube and rack with authority. It's still stiff but it operates consistently now. Thanks. Can't wait to get it to the range for some live fire.
Old January 17, 2010, 01:45 PM   #6
Te Anau

What does the owners manual say about exterior maintenance? Is this a true nickel that can be easily damaged by cleaners such as Hoppes #9?
Old January 17, 2010, 02:40 PM   #7
Orvil Newton

The manual doesn't say much about anything. Mostly just the usual CYA stuff. No mention of the Nickel finish or any other finish at all. When I ordered it the on-line listing (Gun Genie) said the finish was chrome - that's what my dealer thought too. The CD site says nickel and that is what it looks like to me. Lesson learned (Again) Don't trust a single source, especially one that is not the manufacturer.
Old January 18, 2010, 09:39 AM   #8
Te Anau

Forgot to ask.....is this a Turkish made gun?
Old January 18, 2010, 09:52 AM   #9
Orvil Newton

Yes. Made in Turkey. I will say, though that the fit and finish seems fine to me.
Old January 25, 2010, 09:26 PM   #10
E,T,

Another question about Charles Daly Tactical

Is it safe to shoot slugs in this gun?
Old January 26, 2010, 01:16 PM   #11
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Yes....
Old January 26, 2010, 01:24 PM   #12
oletymer

Ridge runner is correct, it should lock everytime. If it does not then something is wrong that needs to be fixed.
Old January 26, 2010, 04:56 PM   #13
E,T,

Charles Daly HD

I put down some money on a C.D. yesterday.Right or wrong on the purchase, I would like to know all about the gun. Such as, right and wrong ammo to use when and where. All the ammo that can be used safely including 100 count bulk boxes that are at Wal-Mart so i don't have to go broke for a good day's shooting. I've already learned more from from here on guns in general than all the gun shops in south Ms. Can I add a pistol grip to the stock or fore without losing the luxury of the long stock? Thanks to all who will help an old dog with a soon to be new shortgun. Why are some guns called slug guns. Are they for slugs only.Enough for now. E,T,

Last edited by E,T,; January 26, 2010 at 04:59 PM. Reason: To add last thoughts. Questions
Old January 26, 2010, 06:13 PM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

ET,
Quote:
right and wrong ammo to use when and where
Birdshot for birds, small game and clays... the finer shot (larger number) for smaller more frail game. Larger pellets (smaller number) for larger, tuffer game.

Buckshot for runnin' deer or HD. Slugs for stationary deer, hogs, bears and the sort and longer distance shots where buckshot would have lost energy and/or pattern density.

Quote:
All the ammo that can be used safely including 100 count bulk boxes that are at Wal-Mart so i don't have to go broke for a good day's shooting.
Any is safe... screw in chokes may limit shot to lead or steel only to a certain size.
The only caveat is an "over bored" barrel which will state NO SLUGS...

Quote:
Can I add a pistol grip to the stock or fore without losing the luxury of the long stock?
Depends on your use of the term...

The above is a pistol grip stock which I call a "standard stock" as most call the next one a pistol grip...

But for clarity I call it an "AR style stock"
I feel it limite the gun's versatility greatly over the "standard style"...
Quote:
Why are some guns called slug guns. Are they for slugs only.
There are 2 main types of slug gun... Both will have either rifle style sights or scope rail/mount. One is smooth bore and the sights make it easier for many shooters to maximize the range of the slugs. It will work fine for any shot but the sights are distracting for most shotgun games.

The other is rifled bore and is really only great for $abot $lugs and will throw doughnut shaped patterns as it spins the wad down the bore...

Hope this helps...
Brent
Old January 26, 2010, 09:59 PM   #15
E,T,

Charles Daly HD

Hogdogs, Thanks for the info. It has been very helpful and now i will feel much better knowing more about what to expect when i use this gun. One more for the road, have you ever seen a pistol grip on the pump part of the gun? Pro's and con. Thanks Again, Ed

Last edited by E,T,; January 26, 2010 at 09:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old January 26, 2010, 10:20 PM   #16
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

IMO only, A pistol grip of the vertical variety on either end limits the gripping options greatly.
It is the versatility of the pump shot gun that makes it so attractive. With the vertical AR type options, a low ready (hip shooting) is very tuff with vertical grips. It is very plausible with a standard stock and foregrip.

Also in the event that you have to get physical with someone, you can hold off with either hand and one handed fire the gun with the other.

Also if you suffer an injury to an arm or hand, you can switch your good hand to the forestock and do an upright "shuck" and switch back to fire the thing easier with a standard setup than PGO or AR type setups.

Just so no one assumes I am just spouting off the opinions of others... My 20 gauge 500 was bought with PGO in the late 80's as it was the only locally available short barrel set up. I then bought a Choate AR type thinking the wife would like it better... It ended up, after trial and ERROR wearing a standard type stock. I can just do so much more with a standard gun... Maybe that is why it took a hundred years for the farkles to hit the market.
Brent
Old January 27, 2010, 11:34 PM   #17
E,T,

Charles Daly HD

I picked it up today, but too late for a test run.Probably tomorrow!! I held it every way that i could and i think you're probably right. I think that i like it just like it is. Got a box of shells to boot so, More to come. Ed
Old January 27, 2010, 11:55 PM   #18
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Congrats on gettin' the gun and hope you find it to your liking!
Thus far it sounds like it will be hard to find fault in the factory stocks setup and will allow you to put that dough into practice ammo.

As The Mod for this section, Dave McC, professes and may have copy righted... "buy ammo, use up, repeat..."

No Pump shot gun is purdy in my eyes without adequate wear marks in the regular places and well deserved wear and tear is like super sexy...

Like the song says... "I like 'em a little on the trashy side..."
Brent