The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 28, 2012, 09:40 PM   #1
D_Anton

Suppressing my Colt 6920?

I recently purchased a Colt 6920 and the temptation to make it my new project has taken over. I want to suppress but i don't know anywhere in the Houston area to get the barrell threaded. And where can I find individuals selling suppressors since I can't buy one from a store since i am 18. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Old October 28, 2012, 10:58 PM   #2
Deja vu

Find a gun dealer and ask them. They will know how to get it done.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old October 29, 2012, 04:40 PM   #3
rjrivero

I'm confused. Does your Colt 6920 not have a flash hider on it? If so, it should already have a threaded barrel.

You can get a Living Trust, and anyone in the trust can pick up a new suppressor from the shop when the Form 4 comes back. You can also look at the silencer forums and see if someone local has a silencer to sell, but it would still require a 6 month wait for the Form 4 to come back before you could get it. Personally, I prefer having my stuff in a dealer's inventory for 6 months rather than in an individual's posession. Unless I know that individual very well.

Last edited by rjrivero; October 31, 2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old October 30, 2012, 02:52 PM   #4
Jack_Bauer24

Don't think you'll be able to purchase NFA items until your 21 my friend. Your barrel should already be threaded with a flash hider.
Old October 30, 2012, 06:35 PM   #5
rjrivero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer24

Don't think you'll be able to purchase NFA items until your 21 my friend
. Your barrel should already be threaded with a flash hider.
Like a pistol: 21 to buy from an FFL, 18 to buy or to make yourself. SO, you CAN own them, just can't buy them from an FFL.

If you create an LLC, or Revocable Living Trust, and have a partner or co-trustee who is 21 or older, they can pick up the item on a 4473 when the Transfer Stamp to the LLC/Trust comes back. Then you (as an 18-21 year old) can then take possession of the item.
Old October 30, 2012, 09:38 PM   #6
ripnbst

And that wouldn't be a straw purchase?
Old October 30, 2012, 11:10 PM   #7
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Negative. But only because it is a trust. Since the older party is a co-signer, they are technically the owner of the suppressor as well. (At least that is how I have come to understand it)
Old October 31, 2012, 08:59 AM   #8
rjrivero

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaroundhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripnbst
Negative. But only because it is a trust. Since the older party is a co-signer, they are technically the owner of the suppressor as well. (At least that is how I have come to understand it)
Correct. Anyone authorized by the Trust/LLC may pick up the item from the FFL (and is required to fill out a 4473 using their personal information.)

Anyone authorized in the Trust or Articles of Incorporation may have posession of the property of the trust or LLC/Corporation. Ownership doesn't change. The property is owned by the Trust or LLC/Corp.
Old November 1, 2012, 04:03 PM   #9
Captains1911

The 6920 already has a threaded barrel, that's how the A2 flash suppressor attaches.
Old November 5, 2012, 06:43 PM   #10
breakingcontact

I'm interested in suppressors but not all of this establishing a trust business. I'd just wait until you're of age.
Old November 6, 2012, 07:46 AM   #11
Pistolgripshotty

Quote:
I'd just wait until you're of age.
This is the best advise my friend.
Old November 7, 2012, 08:11 AM   #12
rjrivero

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingcontact
I'm interested in suppressors but not all of this establishing a trust business. I'd just wait until you're of age.
There are many folks who live in free states, but have CLEO's who will not sign off on Form 4's. In those areas, you're wasting your time waiting to have form 4's that won't be signed off on. You may as well go ahead and get the trust done now, if that is the case.

Most of the Form 4's these days are done on trusts. Look it up yourself. www.nfatracker.com
Old November 7, 2012, 06:13 PM   #13
David Hineline

If you want one, there will be a way, don't quit just because it is not worth the effort in other people's opinion.
Old November 7, 2012, 06:47 PM   #14
Powderman

Something to think about...

and that is gas flow and pressure in a suppressed vs. a non-suppressed firearm.

A 6920 without suppressor functions well without it. With one mounted--and no further modifications--you will batter and beat the inner parts very badly, and parts life will be limited, indeed.

Solution: There are two. Either have a adjustable gas block mounted, or buy a purpose-built rifle with the proper sized gas port to function normally with the suppressor.

The best example I have seen can be found at Specialized Armament Warehouse. The owner is a gent by the name of Ken Elmore, who I believe is one of the single most knowledgeable people about the AR15 platform alive--other than the inventors themselves.

I highly recommend giving him a call, and discussing your options with him. If you decide to buy one, you will be doing business with Ken, who will manufacture your firearm, and (after all the paperwork is done) will transfer it to you through your FFL.

I have handled the XS6944 that he makes--and let me tell you, it is a SWEET little rifle. As a matter of fact, all other factors considered, you can buy the complete package from him for LESS than it will cost to buy a quality AR15 and suppressor separately. Added bonus--Ken's customer service and support are world-class. Take a look at the services offered:

http://www.specializedarmament.com/p..._services.html

Last edited by Powderman; November 7, 2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old November 8, 2012, 09:05 AM   #15
breakingcontact

Didn't realize the trusts were the way to go or that a suppressor was hard on guns. Totally new to suppressors. Thanks for the information.
Old November 8, 2012, 03:03 PM   #16
scsov509

Quote:
Something to think about...
and that is gas flow and pressure in a suppressed vs. a non-suppressed firearm.

A 6920 without suppressor functions well without it. With one mounted--and no further modifications--you will batter and beat the inner parts very badly, and parts life will be limited, indeed.

Solution: There are two. Either have a adjustable gas block mounted, or buy a purpose-built rifle with the proper sized gas port to function normally with the suppressor.
I'll add that most commercial guns are way over-gassed to begin because they're designed to feed reliably with the lessor amount of gas that is generated with lower power commercial rounds (steel is notoriously under-powered). So indeed, add a suppressor and you can get a lot more gas than is necessary to reliably cycle the action.

I run a Kestrel 5.56 on a my AR, and have been able to manage the extra gas pressure by simply switching to a full auto bolt carrier group and a heavier buffer. The extra weight has been more than sufficient for my purposes, and has at the same time kept my rifle still functioning reliably when not running the can. I ran 800 rounds through my AR this August-September, and the heavier buffer and BCG worked great. I've got a number of friends who also run suppressors, and we've all managed to avoid the adjustable gas block by going to heavier buffer and bolt carrier group route.