The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 16, 2012, 05:09 AM   #1
wileybelch

Universal decapping die???

I have an older? Lyman Universal decapping die that will not accept .300Remington Short Action Ultra Mag cases...they are too fat! Is there a truly universal decapping die out there? You have to go all the way up to .378 Weatherby dies to get such a fat case into the sizing die.
Old October 16, 2012, 07:08 AM   #2
Vance

I have a Lee universal decapping die that a .300 winchester magnum case fits into.
Old October 16, 2012, 07:23 AM   #3
nicknitro71

Lee Universal has on ID of 13.65, it will fit up to H&H .375 belted magnum derivatives, it will not fit .404 Jeffrey cases (such as the Remington Ultra Magnum) nor the .416 Rigby cases as the .338 Lapua Magnum and .378 Weatherby Magnum.
Old October 16, 2012, 07:40 AM   #4
SL1

Sticking my calipers into my Lee Universal Decapping Die gave me a measurement of 0.560" without taking out the decapping pin to get a really precise line-up.

So, that MAY handle the Super Mag cases at a nominal 0.550" (Remington) and 0.555" (Winchester) if the chambers are not so loose that the pressure rings will contact the "universal" die before the case is sized in a regular sizing die.

It surely will NOT handle the Weatherby .378 case at 0.582". Which makes me wonder how Lee justifies the name "universal," since that Weatherby case is not a new thing.

SL1
Old October 16, 2012, 09:50 PM   #5
Vance

How does Lyman justify calling theirs "universal" if their won't fit it either?
Old October 16, 2012, 11:55 PM   #6
noylj

>Which makes me wonder how Lee justifies the name "universal," since that Weatherby case is not a new thing.

It is like their "Universal Neck Expanding Die" that does NOT expand the case neck at all--all it does is flare the case mouth.
Remember: One size fits all never fits any one very well.
Old October 17, 2012, 05:00 AM   #7
wileybelch

From the replies to my query, it looks like 'Universal' is baloney in today's cartridge world, particularly the inability to handle the .378 Weatherby. I will call RCBS to get their take on the 'new' short/ultra mag cartridge families and post their reply on this thread. At least Wilson has kept up with the new cartridges as they have shell holders for their case trimmer readily available.
Old October 17, 2012, 08:08 AM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

SAAMI specs show your chamber maximum diameter 0.2" forward of the base is 0.553". Extending the taper back by 0.075" to meed the shell holder deck (0.125" high) makes it 0.5538". So you cases should fit in the Lee universal decapper. Call or e-mail Lee and ask.

Alternately, you can buy a Lee's .30 call decapper rod. Then take a ¾" spade drill and drill a scrap of 2×4 just deep enough to set the rim into. Then drill the center down another inch with a 3/8" drill to form the primer catch well. With that and a brass hammer, you can decap manually. Unless your loading more than a hundred at a time, that's not too terrible a task. Also, you can take this setup to the range with you to decap shells as soon as they come out of the chamber, while the carbon in primer pocket is still soft and falls out. At least one fellow thinks that helps extend bore life in high power rifles.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 17, 2012, 09:25 AM   #9
Greg Mercurio

There's a reality to be faced with the "Universal" decapping die folks. The die still has to be screwed into a 7/8" hole threaded into the press. There is a requirement for some wall thickness in the die at the root of the threads sufficient to resist the forces required to pop out a primer, from crimped to too loose for reuse. So cut the die manufacturers some slack eh?

A "Universal" die made for the overwhelming majority of presses will not decap a .50 BMG so by definition it's not "Universal. Marketing will not allow the title "Semi-Universal".

Old October 18, 2012, 11:11 AM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

Yep. After subtracting the thread depth, a 7/8-14 die leaves you only about .75" to whittle out under the threads. Subtract the 0.560" SL1 measured from that and you have metal wall thickness of only about 0.020" left all around.

If you have a .50 BMG or a .577 Snider or other fat case, you need 1¼" dies and a press that will handle them.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 18, 2012, 12:29 PM   #11
jcwit

In the final analysis it must be Bush's fault!
Old October 19, 2012, 07:51 AM   #12
William T. Watts

At one time the universal decapping dies were universal before the short mag calibers appeared, the universal decapping die is still a useful die and I still use mine and love it. I'm not a lover of the short fat case because many of the rifles chambered for these short mags have feeding issues. IMO William