The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 13, 2010, 01:15 PM   #1
texxas

XDm info wanted!

Alright Im looking for as much user info on the XD's as i can possible get. Any info on personal expierences with the gun would be great, weather conditions you fire in type of round best used for the gun, seriously i want to tooth and nail this thing. In other posts I went on looking for a comparison of this pistol and hk's but Iv finally decided the XD-m .40 is going to be my final call. Also im looking for information on upgrades for it so any helpful internet sites will help as well.... I just hope I somehow dont change my mind but im like 99.3% sure this will be it just got to get out of Iraq first HAHA. thanks for any help i get and anyone wanted to talk guns please comment. Im in iraq so just to talk and **** the wind with people is pretty nice from my day to day...thanks again
Old April 13, 2010, 02:47 PM   #2
hdawson228

texxas. Thank you for your service from this old vet.

BTW, I'm not a mods kind of person. Both XD and XDm are excellent pistols.
Old April 13, 2010, 02:55 PM   #3
ranburr

I'm a very much mods kind of guy. I have two XDM 9mms. Mods include: Springer Precision trigger job; gun grip grip texture and beavertail installation; Heinie Ledge sights; single side mag release; solid guide rod. The best mod you can do is the trigger job from Springer Precision. His trigger bar is much more robust than the factory part that I have witnessed break on half a dozen pistols. I have used my pistols without issue in my last six high round count classes. I have over 10k through one and 3k through the other. I clean them every 1k rounds.
Old April 13, 2010, 02:58 PM   #4
psychohellbilly666

I can not attest to the xdm in any way as I have not shot any nor the hk. I imagine you will hear pros and cons on both. I do however own and carry on a daily basis an xd9 sub compact. I carry this over other top notch pistols I own like sigs, 1911's and glocks. I have hears it said that the xd is too wide to ccw but I do so daily iwb. I'm a bigger guy 6 ft 6 inches and 315 lbs so I don't know if that makes a difference. I owned a 40 cal glock and don't care for the 40 cal due to its snappiness and the lack of the way recoil is absorbed. If you are familiar and have shot a 40 then it must not be an issue with you. Is the gun going to be for ccw, home defense, target or what. That might help make a more educated response. And thanks for defending our country.
Old April 13, 2010, 03:02 PM   #5
l98ster

First of all, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO THIS COUNTRY! It is very much appreciated!!! I hope you return soon to your family!!

About the XD. I am shooting an XD40 (not the M) in USPSA production. I have shot the HK, M&P, SIG, Glock in production as well, and definitly like the XD the best.

This gun has proven to be 100% reliable and accurate. The XD40 I am using is bone stock, and cannot complain at all. I think you are making the right choice.

As far as aftermarket, Springfield themselves offer lots of upgrades. Although I cannot use them in production class, A magwell and night sights would be the only modification I would do. Im a firm believer in dont fix whats not broken!!

If you are a reloader, I have tested many 40 loads, and FINALLY came up with one that is smooth, reliable and accurate. PM me if you want to know that load recipe!!

Again, Thanks for your service, and good luck!!!
-George
Old April 13, 2010, 03:05 PM   #6
azredhawk44

Ft. Bliss?

I spent a week there back in March. They put us all up at the billets there... 8125.

It may be nice in comparison to Iraq...

I was teaching rifle marksmanship to a unit stationed at WSMR.

Given the fact that you're probably looking at concealed carry of it in Texas, it isn't the best gun. That grip is pretty big, and Texas is a CONCEALED MEANS CONCEALED state. If the wind flaps at your cover shirt and prints the grip or allows it to be exposed, that's considered brandishing in TX. You can lose your permit and even do some time for it.

It's AWFULLY windy in that part of TX and NM.

If you intend to conceal it at all in TX, you're gonna want a smaller gun.

I've got an XD9 (not XDm) and it has been 100% reliable. Actually, probably my most reliable gun I have. But, not the most carry-friendly by any stretch. The grip of the XD is smaller than the XDm but even the XD is too big, IMO.

Just my opinion. If it's purely a range/home gun, then it's awesome.

Thank you for your service.
Old April 13, 2010, 04:38 PM   #7
Captain Slow

First, let me echo others and thank you for your service to our country.

I've had an XDm9 for a few months now. I shot an XDm40 before purchasing the 9, but I don't think there's THAT much difference. Some say the 40 is snappier than the 9, but I didn't really notice.

I love the XDm9. It's eaten everything I've thrown at it. Good ol' Winchester white box, Independence, Sellier & Bellot, Remmington, Hornaday - never a hiccup.

It's a breeze to strip and clean. It feels great in my hand with the smallest backstrap. (I typically wear medium size gloves for comparison sake) I don't carry it, but it's great at the range, and it's the gun I leave closest to my bed at night.

Some of the folks on my local message board bash the XDs pretty hard. There it is all Glock this and Glock that. The Glock certainly has a fine reputation, but I just found the XDm to be a bit more comfortable in my hand, and hence, I was a bit more accurate with it.

So hopefully your experience is similar and you are able to obtain and enjoy your new gun. Best of luck to you.
Old April 13, 2010, 04:52 PM   #8
EdInk

I love my XD9. Flawless. Would of bought the M if the 3.8 was around at the time.
Old April 13, 2010, 05:33 PM   #9
Clevinger

I have an XDM 9mm, glock 19, and CZ75B for 9mm guns.

I like all three a lot, but I think the XDM has the best ergonomics and is by far the funnest to shoot. I love it. I have 1000 rounds through it without a failure. I love that it has a grip safety, and the large mag capacity is definitely a plus.
Old April 13, 2010, 09:44 PM   #10
ranger93

I know you are excited about the XDM. Good handgun. I had one for about 3 months. When you get back run down to Academy and check out the XDM and hold it. Then hold the Smith and Wesson M&P. Both are good guns. Like I said, I had an XDM .40 is a great handgun. I traded mine for the M&P .40. Felt better in my hand, more comfortable. I didn't like that you couldn't put the front sight on the target. You aim below the target. You being in the Army (Hooah!) will have to get used to that. The M&P is the front sight on the target, like what you are used to. I thought the trigger on the M&P was smoother and felt more comfortable to me. I also replaced the sear on the M&P with an apextactical sear. Just a couple of thoughts for you. Welcome back soon. Remember this... Your country is proud of you. But your country doesn't owe you anything. As a 1SG for an Infantry Company and been back twice, that feeling of entitlement is what gets you in trouble. Just be humble and stay out of trouble. Enjoy your handgun.
Old April 13, 2010, 09:50 PM   #11
lsufan1971

XDm

I had an XDm 9mm. I really was expecting it to shoot much better than it did. I have smaller hands and it didn't feel right to me. I bought an HK P2000 9mm and couldn't be more pleased with it. Not saying the XDm is a bad weapon just wasn't for me.
Old April 13, 2010, 09:57 PM   #12
cougar gt-e

I own a XDm 40. Put in a Powder River Precision trigger kit. Not hard to do. But, there are parts that need to be fit to the gun. If you don't mind being anal and filing, assembling, testing, repeating for a time, then go for it. I really didn't like the long stock trigger pull. The PRP kit cuts that down to about nothing. Springer makes a kit with a different approach. Both have fans and few complaints.

I may be getting the heavier guide rod and maybe a slightly stronger spring to keep the gun on target during recoil. It ain't bad, but it does move. Nose weight will help that and fine tuning the spring may also. They are cheap, so why not?

Mine is bullets hitting point of aim, unlike the above poster. Each gun and person is slightly different.
Old April 13, 2010, 10:11 PM   #13
Mr1ncred1ble

Love my M. Got the original 4.5" xdm .40 and think it's great. 300 flawless rounds. Became an XD junkie after buying it. Added a stainless steel guide rod for the weight and the look..liked it so much bought a xd 9 subcompact, considering the 3.8" version...

Old April 13, 2010, 11:47 PM   #14
WVfishguy

I held the S&W M&P, dry fired it, it did not feel right. Plus, I heard about some problems with sagging/melting frames. Personal opinion.

I loved the looks and balance of the XDm .40, so I bought one.

Now I feel a little guilty. After all, I'm not military or police, what do I need with a weapon that formidable? This is obviously a weapon of war, and I'm a civilian. This could be considered an "assault pistol," much like the old WWII broom-handled Mauser

I can fire 17 rounds of .40 S&W in seconds, and the polymer frame absorbs the recoil, so rapid fire is easily manageable. Sort of reminds me of the "phazers" on Star Trek, and just about as deadly.
Old April 14, 2010, 09:20 AM   #15
texxas

First off I just want to say, Us out here our going to keep up the hard work and we appreciate yall for the support.

Now I would like to thank everyone for your suggestions and help. This pistol will NOT be my ccw. I have a S&W 3913 9mm that i carry daily. However the means for the XD will be range and home defense. I guess i should of specified on my previous post, it would of helped a lil' more. I would also like to thank yall for the mod options i think somewere up there i read a mod junky post that made light bulbs go off in my head and the gears just wouldnt stop turning. Really im not sure how far im really going to go with this pistol in the mod department but heavier guide rod and trigger assembly and most likley a laser, Im affraid my wife cant aim for crap and I dont see a near future of a time of No-deployments. When im deployed it seems its the only time she acctually apreciates a gun in the house.
Thanks again and if anyone has anymore info please post, I have my pencile and pad and the top of the page is labled SPRINGFIELD XD-m GOODIES.
Old April 14, 2010, 09:46 AM   #16
SigP6Carry

My two or three cents? I've used an XD9, M&P9, Glock 17 and own a Sig P6. Personally? They've all fired and shot perfectly fine. It all came down to comfort and aesthetics to me. I prefer the look and feel of the P6 over the others (the single stack grip feels better to me). In terms of robust feel, the only one that didn't come out on top was the M&P. Felt a bit "toyish" to me. The all metal Sig felt toughest and roughest, but that isn't to say that polymer Glock and XD weren't rough and tough. In terms of accuracy: I didn't shoot any better with one of the other. I really did prefer the Walther P99AS, as it fit my hand like a glove and was easy to manipulate, I didn't have a chance to fire it and couldn't really afford it, so I didn't consider it as heavily as the others.

Personally? My favorite was actually the 1911. But I couldn't justify spending more on a RIA or Taurus than a Sig.

It really does come down to your own preference and experience with them.
Old April 14, 2010, 10:22 AM   #17
N.H. Yankee

I own an XDM40 and a XD9 subcompact, I have also convinced my son to buy a XD40 subcompact as his off duty weapon and he is very impressed with its reliability and accuracy, it out shoots his Sig P228 duty gun. I have found the XD's to be very accurate and reliable, I have fired numerous reloads and factory ammo with zero issues. I commonly fire both the XDm and the sub at 50 yards and am always left satisfied to say the least with the accuracy of both guns.

The XD's seem to really fit well in my hand as they have excellent pointing characteristics. Recoil even in the 9mm subcompact with +p+ is very tolerable, and the XDm 40 soaks up recoil fairly well also. I think you'll be hard pressed to find a better gun for the money and there are quite a few guns costing more that don't equal the XD. I stake my life on mine as does my son, and for myself the gun has to pass high standards to fulfill that duty.
Old April 14, 2010, 03:36 PM   #18
crimsondave

I own the XDm 9. It works very reliably, has a fair trigger, and holds a ton of bullets. You can put your choice of the grips on for a good feel.

That said, even with the "match" barrell, it will not shoot with a 1911. Just won't do it.
Old April 14, 2010, 11:25 PM   #19
ranburr

Quote:
That said, even with the "match" barrell, it will not shoot with a 1911. Just won't do it.
Put a true match barrel in and it will.
Old April 17, 2010, 12:22 PM   #20
BUCK45

XDM 40

I shoot an XDM 40 in USPSA Limited. I have the Springer #3.5 trigger, steel guide rod w/ 16 lb spring, Truglo Tritium sights, grip tape, PistolGear magwell (I dremeled the #3 big grip adapter to fit) and Arrendondo magazine extensions take it to 19 rounds +1. While I've never had a problem with 165's it seems to prefer the 180 grain TC bullet. I also have the EFK Firedragon 9mm conversion barrel. Any 9mm load at 135+ PF runs like butter. By the way, the Arrendondo mag extensions work for the 9mm mags too. Gives me 23+1. What's not to like?
Old April 17, 2010, 05:27 PM   #21
Ichiban

I bet the xd forum would be a great source of information as well
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/

Tags
springfield armory , xdm