The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 13, 2009, 04:03 AM   #1
Waterengineer

Calling Browning/Mikoru Nuts. I have a ?

I fondled a really nice mid-eighties high-grade Mikoru at Saturday's gunshow.

I know Mikoru mades the Citori for Browning and this guns outward appearance was identical (exclusive of stamping, fo course.)

My question is about the guts. Are the sear, pin, spring, identical or are there differences?

The gun was in fine shape but I ask the question for future reference, if repairs are needed.

Thanks.
Old October 13, 2009, 08:28 AM   #2
oneounceload

Mirokus seem to be VERY popular in England from talking to some English folks I know. A Browning for less money it would appear. I really can't imagine them making them so different - that would entail a lot more production costs. I envision it like SKB making Weatherby - same gun, maybe some more frills on the Weatherby.....
Old October 13, 2009, 09:04 AM   #3
Waterengineer

One Oz:

Got it. Your thoughts are similar to mine. Except in this case the Mikoru was VERY glamorous, for a ton less than an equally engraved Browning. I will certaily post pics if I get the gun.

On a separate but related note, do you know these guys? Isn't this up by you? Nice gun.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=142595623
Old October 13, 2009, 10:27 AM   #4
BigJimP

I don't have any experience with them - but I think I'd suggest a little caution - unless the price is "really, really good"..

But you have enough shotguns to know what you're getting into might be a look alike - that might let you down.

I know we're spending your money - but I tend to stay away from things that look like what I really want ( Tools, Electronics, Cars, Guns, etc ..) but they just aren't the same (Harbor Freight tools is just one example that comes to mind ).

When I've compromised, it hasn't worked out too well / but if you're prepared to treat it as a "throw away gun" - then its probably ok. Personally, I'm always better off saving my money - waiting for what I really want...
Old October 13, 2009, 11:48 AM   #5
oneounceload

Agree Jim on the throw away stuff, but in this case, I think it is more of a Chevy Tahoe and a Caddy Escalade - same thing, except one has more bling.

Water - I have been in that store once - not sure if they're trying to be like a Kevin's in Tally or what was Dewing's down your way, but seemed decent enough. Now if ya wanna drool, go to Kevin's in Thomasville and ask to go upstairs where they keep the nice toys
Old October 13, 2009, 01:24 PM   #6
Waterengineer

One Oz:

Thanks for the info.

FYI - Dewings is out. They have been shuttered for more than a year.

There is suppose to be a "sporting goods" store going in the same location that will have a "gun room" but they are having trouble getting on the ground due to West Palm Beach permitting issues. Typical.

All the bling, blink that was at Dewings is now at the GM in Palm Beach Gardens - all the commission stuff from the wealthy folks that had to sell off due to Bernie Madoff (i.e., the folks from Palm Beach and Jupiter Islands.)

You should see the gun room at GM, at the moment it is stocked to the hilt with anything you want.

B guns.
P guns.
K guns.......L ray-guns..........

But a few examples:

Matched pair of 28 gauge, B-25's, Grade VI (fantastic, beautiful)

1960 Winchester 101 with four tube sets

1990 Citori, Grade VI with four tube set, fixed stock (Very Nice and affordable. It would be mine if I was working)

Beretta EELL's

Several MX-2000's.........etc.

And for the Live Bird Crowd:

Merkel B12 (I think) sxs

Seveal Parkers............on and on........quite the candy store at the moment.

Hated to see Dewings go down.
Old October 13, 2009, 05:04 PM   #7
Couzin

Correct spelling is Miroku I believe. This is from CTD re Miroku:

MIROKU FIREARMS MFG. CO.
Current manufacturer established during 1893 and located in Kochi, Japan. Miroku currently manufactures long arms for Browning and Winchester (please refer to individual sections), in addition to their own line of firearms mostly distributed in Europe.
Shotguns marked Miroku only without another trademark listing represent that period of manufacture before Miroku began manufacturing shotguns for other companies (i.e. Charles Daly, Browning, and others). Most guns marked Miroku only were made on a limited basis and although somewhat rare, collector desirability to date has been minimal. Since model notations were not specified in most instances (many shotguns were made to test market demand), a model rundown is virtually impossible. Values can be approx. ascertained by comparing a Miroku shotgun of similar gauge, features, engraving/wood, and condition to an equivalent Japanese Charles Daly model.