The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 13, 2007, 06:31 PM   #1
gonz

Eddie Eagle

Now that my kids are getting older (4 years old), I checked out the NRA safety program with Eddie Eagle. Has anyone had their kids go through this program? I have been teaching my kids the same basic rules:stop; don't touch; get an adult, but I would like to re-enforce the rules in another way. I didn't know if there were other programs that people liked for their younger kids, as well. Thanks!- gonz
Old February 13, 2007, 06:36 PM   #2
Trip20

Boy Scouts.
Old February 13, 2007, 09:02 PM   #3
tony pasley

Pretty good but I will recommend that you use one that I have used for many years. You take your children out and use a watermelon after explaining basic safety shoot the watermelon and tell them they have to put the watermelon back togather. Once they understand they can't you then explain that once a gun has been shot you can't change anything. The more you are involved the better for the both of you.
Old February 14, 2007, 07:10 PM   #4
motorep

Eddie Eagle's good. After my girls got tired of it I gave it to the local elementary school. Yes, they took it, we live in the mountains where everyone has guns. My girls are grown up now, the oldest has an AR addiction. It's a well done presentation.
Old February 21, 2007, 02:34 PM   #5
gonz

Thanks for the replies!- gonz
Old March 1, 2007, 02:03 PM   #6
FJC

Used the video with my kids for years, and whenever we hosted a cub scout meeting at our house I'd make 'em all watch it.

To this day, if you ask them what to do if you're on fire, they're half as likely to say, "Stop! Don't Touch! Leave the Area! Tell an adult!" as the correct thing.
Old March 3, 2007, 09:16 PM   #7
Diesel1

Eddie Eagle

I haven't had the opportunity to have my boys
(4 and 7) take the class, but both of my guys could tell me the three main gun safety rules by 3 years old. In fact, I have them recite the rules before I let them handle any one of them, unloaded and checked twice by me of course. They can also show me how to safety check (unloaded) everything from my Ruger Mark ll to my AR 15. I am a huge fan of the Eddie Eagle program. My brother Marc has a site called savetheguns.com that is also well known for it's children's gun safety message.

Craig

Last edited by Diesel1; March 3, 2007 at 09:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old March 4, 2007, 07:52 AM   #8
threegun

I got the EE video and my boys loved it. Now I allow them to play with any of my guns anytime they want to. We follow basic firearms safety rules every time. They check to see if it is loaded, keep it in a safe direction, never cover someone with the muzzle when moving, keep their finger off the trigger, etc. I do this with them to remove the luster/taboo/rarity/secrecy etc involved in daddy's guns which might cause them to check them out while daddy is gone or at a friends house.

Now my 10 year old has a PX4 storm, Walther p-22, and a Bushmaster superlight AR.

My 7 year old has a Walther p-22 and is next in line for the superlight (when big brother moves up to the heavy barrel or M-4).

They both shoot better than some adults and both handle the gun safer than most adults........which is sad but true.
Old March 4, 2007, 02:34 PM   #9
Diesel1

Threegun

Threegun, great post. I'm sure most kids would be envious of yours. I am going to take a co worker shooting one of these days, he asked me if he could bring his son. Now I have been an NRA Certified Instructor for quite a while and I have never heard this question before, he asked me " If I bring my son ( who is 17) how do I know he won't suddenly point the gun at us, because he did with a paintball gun." After I explained that he wouldn't even have the opportunity to do such a thing he kind of looked at me like "oh". He was under the impression that I was going to let his son walk around the range with a loaded gun. Although I found it somewhat amusing it was still a bit troubling. Like some the ridiculous things that happen in life, I couldn't make this stuff up if I had to.

Craig
Old March 4, 2007, 07:39 PM   #10
Big Don

My son is now almost 21 and has been shooting for close to 16 of those of years. He went through the Eddie Eagle program and has taught it to other kids. When started shooting at a local range, the adults were so impressed with his safe firearms behavior that they were very happy to have him shoot combat matches with us. He was trained properly from the beginning and the few minor infractions were treated with due respect. As I have mentioned in another thread, he's the youngest person to earn the coveted Black Shirt from Tactical Firearms Training Team (TFTT shooting school.) One primary reason he was allowed to take the training was the fact that Max Joseph had watched him grow up around firearms and use them properly.
Early training is the answer for those who worry about having firearms around the house. IMHO, the best feature of the Eddie Eagle program is that kids who are around firearms in our own houses learn what to do when one of their buddies brings out dad's gun and wants to show it off. My son knew that was the time to get the heck out of there and tell an adult! That was the greatest value of the EE training.
Old March 5, 2007, 06:35 AM   #11
threegun

Big Don, You hit it dead on. My job is to train my kids to safely handle and respect firearms. Eddie eagle's training kicks in when my neighbor doesn't teach the same to his children and mine are visiting.