The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 25, 2013, 08:13 AM   #1
rebs

Hand primer tools ?

Is anyone using the RCBS or Lee hand priming tools ? Which one do you guys prefer ?
Old September 25, 2013, 08:49 AM   #2
F. Guffey

I have 2 of one and three of the other, if for no other reason? Parts!

I prefer the RCBS, I know, half moon dents, hating and disliking is not a luxury I normally can not afford, so, the half moon dents are not allowed to get the best of me. I did make an attempt at helping, a friend was working with RCBS with the issued of ‘half moon dents’. I loaned him my two sets with the assurance nothing would get better, sure enough, nothing got better. The last conversation he had with RCBS got him a new shell holder for 9mm. I then thought I would work with RCBS, I called, they offered me a new 9mm shell holder. I thanked them but gracefully refused the offer. I explained to them I had four 9mm shell holders. He dug out the Lee automatic hand primer, the half moon dent in the primer had no effect on the primer, other than cosmetic.

My favorite shell holder is the RCBS, from beginning to end they are not alike, the difference makes them versatile. Other shell holders with differences are not as versatile but serve a different purpose.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; September 25, 2013 at 08:53 AM. Reason: remove that, remove my
Old September 25, 2013, 09:32 AM   #3
Lucas McCain

I have the Hornady hand primer, and the old. Lee model. With out the primer dish. That one is my favorite because it has the best feel for seating the primer. The down side is there are no parts being made and they are out of production. The Hornaday is good but it don't have the feel the Lee does
Old September 25, 2013, 10:06 AM   #4
AllenJ

I have an RCBS tool, the cheaper one that you have to change the shell holder on. I like it and the only problem I've had with it is the plastic part that the shell holder fits on broke. RCBS replaced it for free
Old September 25, 2013, 10:37 AM   #5
jepp2

I had the RCBS had priming tool (the one you have to change shell holders on). Didn't really care for it. If you have big hands it might be fine, but I don't. Just didn't feel right to me. I would up selling it.

I have used every generation Lee hand priming tool since the ones that screwed into the housing (first generation). My go to hand priming tool is the current version link. It has the same action as the Hornady tool. Fits me well and is very fast to prime brass. I also like the safety shield in the event a primer goes off. I have never had one go when seating, but it can happen.

Be aware Lee has a history of people breaking the handle on the seating tools. Enough to cause concern. I have seated well north of 100K primers with Lee priming tools and have never broken any parts. But I always used feel to seat primers and keep the contact points lubed.
Old September 25, 2013, 11:40 AM   #6
serf 'rett

RCBS - no problems to date and reallys beats priming on single stage press.
Old September 25, 2013, 11:46 AM   #7
schmellba99

RCBS universal hand primer, hands down.

No additional shell holders required (why Lee made theirs where the shell holder with their dies won't fit is beyond my comprehension), and it will work on anything up to .45-70 (largest in my arsenal) without any issues.

Swapping from small to large or the other way around is pretty simple and can be done in about 3 minutes.
Old September 25, 2013, 11:48 AM   #8
MJFlores

I've been using the same Lee Hand primer for 20 years or more. I cant imagine using anything else. I even took my priming arm off my press and threw it out! Hand priming is the the only way to roll!
Old September 25, 2013, 12:14 PM   #9
hooligan1

I use the RCBS hand primer, and mine used to make a small indention on the primer until I honed it flat. Never had the "half moon" phenomenom.
Mine is from the early 80's, not really sure if thats a legitimate reason, but it works every time perfectly for me.
Old September 25, 2013, 02:24 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

I have used many of the Lee hand primers. Some were half decent, and lasted 10+ years; but most were rough, and broke within the first 1k primers.
Just the other day, Cornbush gave me a phone call expressing his hatred toward the Lee tool, because it was having a lot of problems (~2 years old, but not sure which version).

I currently own the RCBS Hand Prime. It's better than the Lee and Hornady tools, but the plastic inserts can require some shaping to properly fit shell holders. And, the inserts' bores wear fairly quickly. So, it isn't a bad idea to have RCBS send you a spare set of each size (small / large).
Most people that complain about the "dented" or concave primers have the primer seating punch installed upside down, or they're using the small punch for large primers - it isn't the tool.

However...
If I were in the market for a new hand priming tool, it would be the RCBS Universal Hand Prime. No shell holders. No split plastic inserts. And you don't have to completely disassemble it to change primer sizes.
...with one caveat: It does not play well with some brands of .45 Colt brass.
Old September 25, 2013, 04:43 PM   #11
Nick_C_S

Quote:
I've been using the same Lee Hand primer for 20 years or more. I cant imagine using anything else. I even took my priming arm off my press and threw it out! Hand priming is the the only way to roll!
^^ Me too ^^

Bought my Lee Auto-Prime in 1984 (I believe they were a revolutionary new product at that time). On advice of my mentor at the time (which I will forever be in his debt, RIP), I moly-lubed all the load-bearing, moving surfaces on it. I am still using it to this day. It's quite a sight to see: The "clear" cover is a dull orangeish-yellow from decades of sunlight exposure. I recently bought a new one for the convenience of not having to configure back-n-forth between large and small. But I still use the original for small primers - of which I load more.
Old September 25, 2013, 05:32 PM   #12
F. Guffey

“Most people that complain about the "dented" or concave primers have the primer seating punch installed upside down, or they're using the small punch for large primers - it isn't the tool”

I am talking about some very disciplined reloaders, I loaned one two complete sets, RCBS sent enough parts to build another priming tool, the last part they sent him was a shell holder for 9mm, the half moon dents appeared on 9mm cases only. He did not want my help, so I called RCBS, they did not need my help, they did offer me a free shell holder.

I have no less than 10,000+ 9mm cases, the half moon dent is not centered.

F. Guffey
Old September 25, 2013, 05:57 PM   #13
m&p45acp10+1

I have both the new, and old Lee Auto Prime. The only problem I have with the new one is the tabs on the tray get brittle, and break off quickly. It still works just fine. An email with a picture to Lee customer service, and they sent me two more trays. Took 5 days from email to them being in my mail box.
Old September 25, 2013, 07:56 PM   #14
lee n. field

Quote:
Is anyone using the RCBS or Lee hand priming tools ? Which one do you guys prefer ?
Have a Lee Ergo Prime. Works fine. Be aware that you'd need to buy a special shell holder set, which isn't expensive.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old September 25, 2013, 08:19 PM   #15
iraiam

Quote:
Most people that complain about the "dented" or concave primers have the primer seating punch installed upside down, or they're using the small punch for large primers - it isn't the tool.
my RCBS hand priming tool dents the primers if the punch is installed backwards, and puts a crease in when installed properly, the reason it does this is because the FLAT end of the seating punch is not square, and still has machine marks in it. I haven't used it in years.

I require my ammunition to be at least as good as commercial ammo in all aspects, although it would probably be a simple fix to machine my own seating punches that don't look like they were made with a hack saw.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old September 25, 2013, 09:13 PM   #16
jimbob86

I have a pair of Lee hand priming tools from the late 90's, one for large primer, one for small .

Other than the press mounted priming doohickey my brother has on his Breechlock Press (that I use when I visit him in CO), almost all the thousands and thousands of rounds I've loaded were primed with those .......
Old September 25, 2013, 09:35 PM   #17
Nick_C_S

Quote:
jimbob86 said: "I have a pair of Lee hand priming tools from the late 90's, one for large primer, one for small .

Other than the press mounted priming doohickey my brother has on his Breechlock Press (that I use when I visit him in CO)"
Well, now you know what to get your brother for Christmas this year lol
Old September 25, 2013, 10:00 PM   #18
RC20

I have two of the RCBS Universal primers.

I can load any round without the shell holder and large or small.

Per the other comment, my holder on the large broke and RCBS sent me an entire assmly (nice but only needed the holder).

I taped it up with black electrical tape while waiting and its still priming fine.

Not sure if its the grade of plastic or chincy thing for the large unit (small has not been an issue). Large is blakc and not sure its UHMW colored black )(and weaker) or its not UHMW. Same one looks like UHMW.

Have not tried the Lee, happy with the RCBS but would not say its the only game without trying the others.

I am sold on the universal part.
Old September 25, 2013, 10:04 PM   #19
jimbob86

Quote:
Well, now you know what to get your brother for Christmas this year lol
That I do: he was changing from the large to small doohickey, dropped the thing onto the concrete floor, and broke it....... He's hell on tools ...... last trip out in August, he swore he did not to lube every 30-06 case ..... and stuck one. ....then broke the decap pin trying to get the case out ......
Old September 25, 2013, 10:44 PM   #20
Nick_C_S

Quote:
He's hell on tools
Better get 'im two.
Old September 25, 2013, 10:53 PM   #21
deepforks

I know it was not mentioned or asked about but is anyone using the Sinclair hand primer? I just got mine yesterday. set up and adjustment was easy. little use thus far but i'm impressed. great feel to it. its not the fastest way to go, but I knew that going in.
Old September 25, 2013, 11:11 PM   #22
44 AMP
Staff

I use the RCBS hand tool, the one that takes the shellholder I use for loading. Actually two, one for large and one for small primers (got tired of changing).

Never noticed any dents, in any caliber. You can feel the primers bottom in the pocket, at that point, stop squeezing!
Old September 26, 2013, 01:42 AM   #23
FrankenMauser

Quote:
my RCBS hand priming tool dents the primers if the punch is installed backwards, and puts a crease in when installed properly, the reason it does this is because the FLAT end of the seating punch is not square, and still has machine marks in it. I haven't used it in years.
That's a defective part, not a bad design.
RCBS would send a new one for free, if you picked up a phone and gave them a call.

F. Guffey - I wasn't referring to the 'half moon' dents. In my experience, those are caused by a poorly machined shell holder that allows the case to sit off-center, or allows it to tip - something that can cause problems with all brands of hand primers that use any kind of shell holder.
Old September 26, 2013, 10:01 AM   #24
boondocker385

Rcbs hand primer. It only takes a few seconds to change from small to large primers. Never had a problem. I like the feel it provides.
Old September 26, 2013, 10:04 AM   #25
johnjohn

I have 3 Lees. Havn't primed on the press in a bunch of years.