The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 5, 2014, 10:55 PM   #1
Clevinger

Do you have a brand of rifle you are committed to?

I am getting ready to get a rifle for hunting in adverse weather. I looked around but in the end am coming back to Winchester Model 70s.

Anyone else like that with any brand?
Old February 5, 2014, 11:07 PM   #2
Striker1

Nope! And here's why...I think most reputable manufacturers have made some outstanding models and some not so great over the years. Also, quality has gone up and down with many manufacturers at times and for various reasons so I tend to look a little deeper than just the name on the gun.

The most pleasant surprise I ever got in a bolt rifle was my CZ 550 in .270. I knew nothing about their rifles but took a chance and bought one anyway because of the price ($400ish) and boy what a shooter it has been!
Old February 5, 2014, 11:11 PM   #3
tdoyka

of all the rifles i choose, t/c encore is the best!
Old February 6, 2014, 01:20 AM   #4
Liambobbi

I love my tc icons but they stoped making them so now I guess it's sako 85
Old February 6, 2014, 01:28 AM   #5
Brotherbadger

I like a winchester for every rifle except lever actions. When it comes to levers, i am a Marlin man.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old February 6, 2014, 02:01 AM   #6
bamaranger

Ruger...and I was surprised.

Ruger by far in count, and Savage second. Oddly, Remington (2) and Win(2) aren't even close. Nothing Euro much in the safe, ....two Mark X's.

Ruger wins due to the diversity it offers(offered?) v. the asking price. Who else makes a varminter, .44 auto carbines, stainless/synthetic bolt rifle in 7.62x39, a mag fed Garand in x39 (the mini-30) and a high quality bolt .22? Add the handguns and Ruger is the walkaway winner for me. I'm still on the prowl for a Ruger #1 and #3

The Savages are all extremely accurate and win in that department.
Old February 6, 2014, 02:24 AM   #7
5RWill

Remington but more so the action than the rifle. I guess i could say some customs as well because they're remington based. Despite it's default imperfections i still love them, been running them since i was young tike it's like second nature. That said i own a sako 85 and love that action as well.

If i owned an Accuracy International rifle that would be my brand.
Old February 6, 2014, 07:31 AM   #8
cdbeagle

CZ and Weatherby Vanguards
Old February 6, 2014, 07:53 AM   #9
Magnum Wheel Man

I'm a bit of a collector, but I like variety rather than only collecting every variation of a model ever made... my center fire bolt actions range from 17 Fireball to 416 Rigby, & are a mix of custom rifles & factory rifles... I guess I own more Remington 700's than any other... then Brownings & Rugers are tied next with Winchester at the end of the factory rifles in that collection... ( probably have as many customs in this group as Brownings, Rugers, & the Winchester )

perhaps tied over all in bolt rifles, with Remington, is CZ / BRNO... my FIL collected those, & after he died, I'm still working on completing that collection...

BTW... nothing wrong with Winchester rifles, they are just a bit more pricey & I just never "had to have one" until I bought my JOC model 70 recently... love that rifle...

BTW #2... my hunting in adverse weather rifles are Browning Stainless Stalkers, or a Ruger model 77... & the Brownings are, IMO, top shelf as well...
Old February 6, 2014, 09:34 AM   #10
PVL

I am not committed to any particular brand of rifle, but there are a few brands that I avoid.
Old February 6, 2014, 09:49 AM   #11
jmr40

Quote:
I am getting ready to get a rifle for hunting in adverse weather.
For hunting in harsh weather conditions there are only 2 real contenders. A SS Ruger and older SS Winchester Classic's. They are the only 2 that combine CRF, SS, and a bulletproof open trigger design that cannot be fouled up like other designs. They can can easily be inspected and cleaned, closed designs cannot.

Newer Winchesters have CRF, but have gone to the enclosed trigger system that is much more prone to dirt and debris getting trapped inside.

A simple, open trigger of a Winchester Classic or Ruger

Enclosed, overly complex trigger used by everyone else.

Old February 6, 2014, 09:55 AM   #12
eldermike

For different reasons:
Workmanship, beauty, Browning
Feel, (ergonomics), Winchester
Purchased, then modified, Remington
Shooters, no close inspection allowed, Savage

But I like them all.
Old February 6, 2014, 10:05 AM   #13
Sure Shot Mc Gee

I've used them all at one time or another. Auto's levers bolts even a pump once. Bought high end. (Sig Sauer 202 Supreme w/ 3 barrel set) and Second hand too (25-35 Win)_ No matter which I was afield with I always had one solid complaint in mind. "Gee's I wish this thing was a little lighter to carry!!"__So eventually I got around to buying a rifle or two that were indeed lightweight. {even after I scoped them.} Only one problem. My first decision. I bought my first light weight rifle in a caliber that I now consider to be the most destructive meat masher I ever encountered when it's bullets comes in contact any bone period. (25-06 Rem) Talk about a caliber rifle that chews up meat. None does a better job at it than a 25-06 does. But the rifle itself is indeed a pleasure to carry afield and shoot. Fit well. Shoulder's well. So to remedy the situation ASAP._ I bought my second rifle in the same brand and model but in a caliber more suitable to my needs. (270 Win)_ Now the situation is I have two rifles here. With the same scope mounts and identical scopes (VX-3s.) Both have handsome wood stocks. Ones light colored the other is a dark chocolate {one caliber isn't available anymore >25-06 was dropped} So to answer the question posed. My rifle of choice is without doubt._The Remington 700 {matte blue} Mountain Rifle series.

BTW: I'm in the process of changing out their triggers with aftermarket Timney's pre-set at the factory for 3-1/2 lbs. pull. 270 is done. 25-06 is next up for its new trigger. "Should make my rifles even better to shoot."
Old February 6, 2014, 10:05 AM   #14
jimwill48

Believe it or not I love the Savage 110 line and have more of them than anything else...
Old February 6, 2014, 12:19 PM   #15
Dirty_Harry

Old Marlins and Ruger

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old February 6, 2014, 12:54 PM   #16
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Committing to a product line is silly, IMO.

Currently, I really like the Savage "system" for my purposes. Namely, a financially sensible, accuracy capable, semi-modular system with a ton of aftermarket support.

However, if my purposes and/or budget were different, I might have a different view.

No matter what, if a "better" system comes around tomorrow, I'll be all over it... until the next better one comes around. My "loyalty" is to "best for my needs", period.
Old February 6, 2014, 01:25 PM   #17
4runnerman

You mean there is another Brand out there that's not SAVAGE?. Can't say I have ever seen one.
Old February 6, 2014, 01:39 PM   #18
tahunua001

I'm starting to get that way with Ruger. I grew up with remington as did my older brother, both of us have turned into die hard ruger guys. I own a M77 MKII in 30-06, my brother owns 4 in various configurations and calibers.
Old February 6, 2014, 05:25 PM   #19
FiveInADime

My heart will always be with the Winchester Model 70. I would probably buy a Kimber or Cooper over a new model 70 but to me the Winchester rifles I have will always be my favorites.
Old February 6, 2014, 05:33 PM   #20
SansSouci

I have a CRF Model 70 Featherweight. I like a Rem 700 better; neither are as good as my Sako AV. If I were to buy another rifle it'd be another Sako.
Old February 6, 2014, 06:10 PM   #21
Fleabag

Sako
Old February 6, 2014, 06:39 PM   #22
MarkCO

Nope.

There are some I avoid and some I prefer, but that won't color when I go looking for something new. At some point (which I am sure I have passed) new firearms purchase becomes about specific tasks and less about a General Purpose Rifle.

If the Winchester 70 appeals to you, then go for it, solid platform. I would suggest you stick with the Coyote Light or the Extreme Weather SS. They have the B&C stocks. The other composite stocks are floppy and would need to be changed out IMHO.

It does make me smile when the guys from the South talk about "harsh" conditions rifles.
Old February 6, 2014, 06:39 PM   #23
homesick

Remington 700 XCR II
Old February 6, 2014, 06:51 PM   #24
surveyor

I't did not start that way as I look at the best features of a paticular model and brand.
While I like remingtons,rugers,sakos,cz's,Marlins,winchesters,brownings and others
The savages have multiplied faster than any others. They just kind of snuck in diffrent calibers.
But most of the savages are dedicated use guns.
Old February 6, 2014, 07:41 PM   #25
steveNChunter

I was raised up a Ruger fan, but now I own centerfire bolt rifles made by Ruger Savage, Howa, and Remington. Marlin for the centerfire levers, Browning for the rimfire levers, CZ for a centerfire bolt rifle, and a 10/22.

Every manufacturer has their forte, and everyone has their own preference. Thats why there are so many successful brands out there.