The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 18, 2009, 04:02 PM   #26
colostomyclown

is there a place where you can live that you buy guns locally? like a classifieds? id comb the pawn shops, gun shops and local online classifieds and look for a good Mossberg 500. Expect to pay around 185-250. I wouldn't pay anymore for a used 500. Then get a ton of shells, download a Mossberg 500 owner's manual and go shoot. Shoot the hell out of it. Then go on youtube and learn how to disassemble and re-assemble your gun. Repeat. Then decide where you want to go from there. I wouldn't bother with any tactical accessories until you've familiarized yourself pretty heavily with how the gun is operated and maintained.
Old August 18, 2009, 04:29 PM   #27
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Florida is such a place... FTF sales require no paperwork...
Brent
Old August 18, 2009, 05:52 PM   #28
OlympicArmsFan

Im in Virginia ane we can do face to face but most of the time the guns have all the bells on it and its over what I want to pay.

The local shop that is going to be open for FFL sales soon are friends of mine so they will help me find what Im looking for and at a good deal.

These are good guys that have worked in shops before and are ex-military. The one guy bought a pistol grip shotgun and then got the stock he wanted. That was his cheapest way at the time to get what he wanted.

I do order off the net a lot and use pawn shops. The pawn shops for used guns are high right now.

I went in before the election and their was a used AR I came close to buying it had all the retro parts on it. I say this was a early 80s maybe late 70s AR-15 for like 600 bucks. I went in right after the election 900 bucks and it sold.

They are not getting that the feeding frenzy is over they still think its like that.

I like the mossberg and will go with one I think. Thanks everyone and keep the info coming.
Old August 18, 2009, 06:08 PM   #29
colostomyclown

You can't go wrong with an 870 or 500. There are other brands and great guns don't get me wrong, btu those are far and away the easiest to find parts and support for. I prefer the Mosssberg because of it's ergonomics/layout and because it's the most convenient for me to take down. They also have the edge on remington in customer service imo, and Remington has VERY good customer service. I would not turn down an 870 and may own another one in the future.
Old August 21, 2009, 12:04 AM   #30
cbuchanan87

If you are looking at a Mossberg 500, I would highly, Highly, HIGHLY recommend the Mossberg 835 Ultimag. I have it and am VERY happy with it. Check it out, and talk to your buddies about getting you one. I definitely think it's worth any difference in price from the 500.

I like the option of shooting 3 1/2" shells when needed, and the reliability is unmatched in any of my friends' shotguns. Look into it, and I can vouch for it's performance!!!
Old August 21, 2009, 12:43 AM   #31
ArmedInNOR-CAL

870 Tactical. It comes with a rifled barrell, folding or full stock w/ pistol grip. Ive put every shell known to man from magnum upland game shot to slugs it will chew on anything. The 870 is a staple of americana.....how could the cops be wrong!
Old August 21, 2009, 12:49 PM   #32
OlympicArmsFan

The 500 fits my budget right now and I love the Remington as well but the 500 is right in my budget.

Im still looking around for used as well as new but no such luck as of right now. I can find used on the net but still Mossberg is in my range.