The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 1, 2001, 09:13 PM   #1
shooter.45

I currently wear glasses, and was wondering if there is any kind of Shooting glasses that will fit over my glasses or side protectors I could put on my glasses while I shoot? I tried regular shooting glasses over mine and was very uncomfortable. dont really want to go broke buying perscription shooting glasses.

Thanks
Old March 2, 2001, 11:07 AM   #2
Coronach

Polycarbonite, I think?

It is VERY impact resistant, but it is not scratch resistant. Funny, huh? Your glasses won't shatter if hit by a piece of high-speed debris, but they'll scratch and scuff if you let something plastic rub up against them. Go figure.

Also, eyeglasses provide no side protection, and stuff can enter there almost as easily as dead on.

Try Wiley-X: http://www.wiley-x.com They're not cheap, but by all accounts they're good.

Mike

PS FWIW I have a pair of Takumi eyeglasses in polycarb and a set of glass clip on sunglasses. The shatter resistance of polycarb and the scratch resistance of glass, all in one high-fashion package for only a few hundred dollars

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old March 2, 2001, 12:57 PM   #3
Halo

What sort of ear protection do you use with shooting glasses? A problem I have always had is, the "arms" of the glasses prevent ear muffs from making a good seal around the ear, so I have to either angle them (the arms) up or wear plugs instead.

Old March 3, 2001, 10:07 PM   #4
wayne

shooting glasses

check out http://www.skdtac.com , and follow the links to Bolle tactical. I have the Vigilante, for $150 I got the complete set with 4 interchangeable colored lenses, and the prescription insert with prescription. Everything you need for shooting in and out.
Old March 5, 2001, 02:15 PM   #5
skdtac

Hi Shooter.45,

While we don't know of any over-the-glass shooting glasses, there are inexpensive plastic shields available that slide onto the arms of your glasses for extra protection. If you show up to a Bullseye event, you're bound to run into people using them.

We use a dedicated shooting glass for our shooting activities, that doubles for a great multi-purpose sports glass. The Vigilante/Parole SES series from Bolle is currently issued by the Army Marksmanship Unit. Just thought I'd offer an image.

We have RX inserts available for these glasses. The over-the-glass option would be a goggle which may be overkill for your needs. If you have any questions, please feel free to drop us an email! Wayne- thanks, hope all is well with you