The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 21, 2009, 05:39 PM   #1
bshefa

AR 10 Feed problem

I just purchaced an armalite ar 10 and it won't feed remington express soft point ammo. The bullet catches on the feed ramp. I adjusted the magazine catch all the way down and it seems to have helped some but not much. I am new to the AR platform and would like some suggestions.
Old September 21, 2009, 08:55 PM   #2
DnPRK

Contact Armalite and see what they have to say.

Are you letting the charging handle fly? (proper) or riding it forward? (improper)
Also, brand new AR style rifles need to have the bolt carrier assembly dripping wet with lube until they get broken in. A dab of grease on the back of the bolt lugs doesn't hurt either.

Last edited by DnPRK; September 21, 2009 at 09:00 PM.
Old September 22, 2009, 03:58 AM   #3
HiBC

I would not necessarily expect every lead point hunting round to feed trouble free.Its rather a military ammo platform.You will have to find what works.

Are they 180s? You may have better luck around 165 gr or 150.

Sierra makes some hollow point big game bullets that should cycle.My brother has used 165 Accubonds and Ballistic tips in his AR-10 with good results
Old October 2, 2009, 12:05 PM   #4
bshefa

I put a new Armalite spring on the magazine catch and it solved the problem. The spring on it was smaller. The magazine seats properly and it will load all the cheap ammo easily except the Winchester PSPs. It will feed these but not without some failures. I really needed it to feed cheap ammo that is suitable for hogs. Very happy now