The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 7, 2006, 10:02 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

Good price on handmade longbow?

I've talked with this one ol' boy a couple times who sets up at gun shows - He handmakes these nice looking but very plain jane 6 foot laminated longbows - he's got some made out of bamboo/bois d'arc, and some made of bamboo/bamboo. Weights are 28 lbs up to 50 lbs. No accessories at all - not even an arrow rest. Does come with a natural string (waxed flax?). He says they are normally $200, but the best he can do is $125 to $150 ($150 for the thicker ones with heavier pull - 45 to 50 lbs @ 26"). I almost got one, but I wanted to get him down to $125 on the thick ones - he wouldn't go for it. Can anyone give me some basis of comparison for a good handmade longbow? Am I a fool to pass that up, or correct in looking for a better price? Thanks. I'm wanting to get into traditional archery..... Also, for a noob to traditional, would I be better off starting with a recurve or longbow?
Old August 8, 2006, 04:56 AM   #2
Desertfox

If you are new to traditional archery you will be better served buying a bow that will for sure not have tuning issues. A hand made long bow from a less than famous bowyer may have issues you cannot correct. Balance, length, equal limb tension, flex and reflex, etc. These issues may present themselves in bad release or arrow flight. Until you are an experienced traditional archer you will not know that the bad arrow flight wasn't your fault.
I would say spend $200.00 on a package recurve from a known manufacturer.
The package will give you the accessories and you will be able to learn the art with a quality tuned bow. Besides, most handmade longbows are difficult at best to shoot good and you must find someone to make the strings.
I say if you are going to spend your time learning traditional shooting, it should be a pleasure not a pain in the keester.
PSE sells a take-down recurve called a Coyote new for about $200 with a quiver flipper rest and 5 arrows. You will need an arm guard and a shooting glove or tab. This bow disassembles and fits anywhere easy.
Good luck with the shooting.
Old August 8, 2006, 09:04 AM   #3
FirstFreedom

That's helps me a lot - good advice. DF, you are a wealth of hunting know-how; thanks. I'll look into that recurve package.
Old August 8, 2006, 11:52 AM   #4
Scorch

FF-
Even the used major name longbows and recurves are going for astronomical prices these days. I saw a Bear last year at over $150, and recently saw an old Ben Pearson recurve for over $200, so if a $150 bow looks like you will be able to shoot it and like it, why not buy it??
Old August 9, 2006, 01:22 PM   #5
charlie in md

try this site

www.stickbow.com

The "Leatherwall" is a forum area similar in nature this one. There are also classifieds and ads for bowyers. $200 for a handmade bow is on the low side.
Old August 9, 2006, 09:18 PM   #6
jakerudy

Charlie, you beat me to it. stickbow is a great site.
Old August 9, 2006, 09:27 PM   #7
FirstFreedom

Thanks guys; I've been checking out that stickbow site.