The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 25, 2008, 10:38 PM   #1
Dr. Red

Getting ready for deer season.

So my two wheat plots are coming up nice. Anybody else prepping for the season.
Old September 25, 2008, 10:50 PM   #2
Swampghost

I've been ready with the exception of a small day pack and a new scope that has only been bore-sighted. I've also been looking at Ghillie suits but that's not going to keep me out of the woods.
Old September 26, 2008, 07:01 AM   #3
Kreyzhorse

Getting my gear ready and figure I need to planning a trip to Bass Pro to pick up a couple of new pieces. Need to up grade my cold weather gloves and hat. Last year was pretty brutal a couple of days and my hands and head didn't fair too well.
Old September 26, 2008, 07:06 AM   #4
rantingredneck

I started bowhunting on Sept 13th when our season opened. I arrowed a small 8 pointer on Sept 19th. . Yeah, I'm getting ready.

I do have some patterning work on some of my shotguns (bought two new barrels recently). My .243 is ready to rock though as is my .30-06. Have to sight in the ML between now and Nov. (new scope this year).
Old September 26, 2008, 07:30 AM   #5
12GaugeShuggoth

Quote:
I started bowhunting on Sept 13th when our season opened. I arrowed a small 8 pointer on Sept 19th. . Yeah, I'm getting ready.
rantingredneck........fine, just rub it in my nose why don't you..... here in VA I have to wait 'till October to start letting the arrows fly Oh well, just more time to scout and practice I guess Happy hunting.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old September 26, 2008, 07:35 AM   #6
buck-hunter

Bowhunting

Our season starts Wednesday. I can't wait
Old September 26, 2008, 07:39 AM   #7
fisherman66

Gettin there. I still need a couple things. Good bins and a GPS unit are on my "to do" list. I'm thrilled to be using public land this year. No stand, no corn feeders; just me and a rifle still hunting as deep as I can get in the thick stuff.

Unfortunately I'm not able to scout the area. I'll be relying on topo maps and keeping my nose in the wind.

I'll be bringing a good friend for his first big game hunt. We know our odds are not great due to the limitations of public land, but it's the process I'm looking forward to.
Old September 26, 2008, 09:18 AM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Public land can be a real barn burner... Scout for access on the backside away from most others typical spots. The deer are going to try to avoid the masses of farting stinkin humans.
I will be mainly hunting Eglin Airforce Base WMA And it is very large. Where I am going in is UBER THICK and likely rules out most hunters. I will be after "swamp deer" as the nastier spots have plenty of game and little pressure. I also raise my chances of shooting hogs too. My favorite reason to hunt this way is less errant bullets zinging by my head!
Brent
Old September 26, 2008, 09:24 AM   #9
fisherman66

Yup, my plan is to get as far away from the roads as possible.

Just ordered my Bins. Minox 6.5x32 IF

Anybody wanta give a "mapable" GPS away for a song?
Old September 26, 2008, 09:25 AM   #10
deanadell

Black Powder opens Wednesday here. I'll be headed down to Deer Camp next Friday after work
Old September 26, 2008, 03:30 PM   #11
rantingredneck

Kicking myself right now for not going this afternoon. It was rainy when I got home from my business trip @1:00 PM. I decide not to go and now the sun is out. I bet the deer are really gonna move this evening. Been wet and windy for the last day or two.

Oh well. I'll get em tomorrow .
Old September 26, 2008, 03:37 PM   #12
TheNatureBoy

Like 12 Gauge said, we have a few more weeks before the season starts in Virginia. All I have to do is purchase a license and I'm ready
Old September 26, 2008, 03:46 PM   #13
rantingredneck

Here's another tidbit to PO you VA guys.....................

My wife bought me my lifetime license 8 years ago. All I have to do each year is fill out my HIP certification online and I'm good to go. Tags come in the mail every July.
Old September 26, 2008, 04:41 PM   #14
BIGR

I bought my lifetime sportsmans license back in 1987 and its the best money I ever spent. Just like rantingredneck said fill out a small paper and send it back in.................... I am ready for deer season 2008 to began.
Old September 26, 2008, 06:14 PM   #15
VaFisher

Going to put up the last ladder stand tomorrow, picked out a spot for it last week when we put up the other ladder stand. First weekend in Octomer is bow opener here in eastern VA. and we got some new property with loads of sign, all of our land has good sign this year with plenty of acorns.
Old September 26, 2008, 06:48 PM   #16
RLFD5415

Feeling somewhat unprepapred. Meant to put up two additional stands on my property this summer but never go around to it. Meant to work up a load for a new 7mm-08 but never got around to it. Other than that I'm ready to go!
Old September 26, 2008, 06:52 PM   #17
rantingredneck

Quote:
I bought my lifetime sportsmans license back in 1987 and its the best money I ever spent.
Especially when you consider that we're grandfathered into the coastal fishing license.
Old September 26, 2008, 11:19 PM   #18
zahnzieh

New Gloves -G ot a bit of frost bite in one fingertip during last shotgun weekend last year. It was soo fricking cold I had fingerless gloves w. flap over mitten - chemical warmer was in mitten part on one hand, but trigger finger on other hand(left) got frost-bite where it touched the gun. Weird - like a bad burn
Old September 26, 2008, 11:52 PM   #19
Gbro

Cleaned out the deep freeze, what was left of the family(good thing they bag some venison annually) venison went to the sausage maker. Have a good supply of breakfast links and bratwurst for deer camp.
Now will this year be my year to fill a tag????
Old September 27, 2008, 02:20 AM   #20
Dr. Red

Sounds like everyone has been busy, just the other day I noticed that a bunch of deer ate all the pond lilies in my stock tank. I guess they tasted better than the wheat I planted in the tree row.
Old September 27, 2008, 06:25 AM   #21
12GaugeShuggoth

Quote:
Here's another tidbit to PO you VA guys.....................

My wife bought me my lifetime license 8 years ago. All I have to do each year is fill out my HIP certification online and I'm good to go. Tags come in the mail every July.
Sorry, doesn't PO me one bit....I hunt on family owned private property

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old September 27, 2008, 08:57 AM   #22
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Well, I at least went and bought my license. Got a few chores, such as setting up a feeder that a buddy offered as a permanent loan. Make for happy critters in the back country. Check the water pans, now that the rains have stopped muddying up the jeep trails; cisterns oughta be full, though. We try to keep stuff going year-around, back near hunt camp. Getting hard to do. For the Olde Pharts, the physical work's getting a bit heavy, and it seems like the young folks never can get much time off from work to help out.
Old September 27, 2008, 10:32 PM   #23
rantingredneck

Quote:
Sorry, doesn't PO me one bit....I hunt on family owned private property
See, here in NC that law is a little squirrely and gets people in trouble.

You can hunt on Your property without a license, or your wife's/husband's, or your mom's/dad's IF you are under 18. Once you hit adulthood "family property" don't cut it. Lots of folks don't understand that one and some tickets get written over it.

Wish I had a few hundred acres of my own, as it is...............
Old September 29, 2008, 08:45 PM   #24
lockedcj7

Got to shoot the rifles on Sat. The 30-06 and ML are good to go. The 7-08 might not be ready. The cold-shot was 6" high at 150 yds. but the next two were dead-on. I need to shoot it again to see if it was a flier or is a real problem. The Garand is shooting low so I just need to move the rear sight up and check the zero.

I hung the stands two weeks ago to let the deer get used to them. I still need to wash my clothes and get them ready. Wed. will be here before we know it. I've been watching five around the edges of the pasture about dusk for the last week or two. Looks like two young does, their fawns and a spike. I'm going to hang out and see what develops.
Old September 29, 2008, 11:53 PM   #25
BIGR

I need to check my rifles one last time to make sure they are right. Seems like I wait til the last minute and I must enjoy the last minute pressure. Most of the time they are still dead on from the previous year.