The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 8, 2007, 10:29 PM   #26
Rangefinder

Quote:
now if I could just learn to range the game by eye...
FF>> Sounds like we need to be hunting together... That IS how I got my nickname, after all... And you're firing all my favorite calibers and cartriges.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old April 8, 2007, 11:21 PM   #27
FirstFreedom

hee hee, nice - you've got skillz. I don't really need to know how far they are within the PBR - I only need to know if they are beyond 275 - a simple yes or no. If yes, then I'll pass entirely. If no, then a simple dead-on hold will work with a zinger round like .243 - no need to hold over the back. Only need to account for the wind. Maybe hold toward top of vitals, but never over the vitals - not without more range time than I have under my belt at present.

Only problem you might have rem33, is if you hold at top of back, but they're not as far as you thought (say 200 and you think they're 300), and you shoot under the spine but over the lungs. Then they are injured - not good.
Old April 8, 2007, 11:43 PM   #28
rem33

Quote:
Only problem you might have rem33, is if you hold at top of back, but they're not as far as you thought (say 200 and you think they're 300), and you shoot under the spine but over the lungs. Then they are injured - not good
I agree, and figure 300 or less I don't hold over at all. Distances are hard to judge that far fast in a hunting situation. In fact I doubt I would shoot much over 200 without a good rest. Sitting with rifle on my knees or I have taken deer from a prone position when that was All I had and the flora would allow it. I use fence posts, limbs, rocks, anything handy.
I have only leveled with the back once. That was after a 6 hour or longer stalk, the last hour was spent laying behind rocks to far away to shoot. I could get no closer so just waited till he luckily drifted my way. If I would have let him go any farther there would be no shot as he would have walked behind a mountain side. I had plenty of time to guess distances and so leveled with his back and fired. Bullet hit him 8 to 10 inches below my point of aim. made for a memorable hunt.