The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 19, 2005, 09:41 PM   #1
IrishGrit

Failure to feed??

I bought a Stoeger 2000 last fall and got my $$ back 'cause of 5 "failure to feed" rounds on a quail hunt. I replaced it w/ a BPS 20 ga that I shoot well. Now I just bought a Benelli M2 and today I had 6 failure to feed 3" loads while duck hunting. Do these type actions (inertia) need to be broke in before they loosen up or what? I mean....I really wasn't to upset when the $400.00 Stoeger did it, but a brand new Benelli M2?!! Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. P.S. All I have to do is barely bump the lever and it chambers the round, but it is nerve racking when you've called in 20 ducks and you can't double or triple because of a mechanical failure!!! HELP!!
Old December 20, 2005, 02:25 AM   #2
InSoMNiaX23

I bought an M1 earlier this year and i have yet to have it fail to feed for me even with light 1oz target loads. I imagine for ducks you are using 3" loads so I don't think that is an issue. I don't know how much shooting you did with yours before your duck hunt, but I found that a good cleaning after every use really helps. I dont know if it is just me or what, but I can almost hear the action cycle differently as it starts getting progressively dirtier. I have heard that the inertia recoil system on the Benelli can lead to similar malfunctions to what happens to a pistol when you limp wrist it, but I have tried just lightly shouldering mine and even hip-shooting it and I cannot get it to not cycle properly. Have you let someone else shoot it to see if it happens for them?
Old December 20, 2005, 08:21 PM   #3
IrishGrit

THANK YOU for responding first of all, I appreciate it. I called Benelli and was told to spray Gun Scrubber on the trigger assembly as well as the spring inside the butt stock. Then I called the place where I bought it which is a top notch place and they feel that I may not be pulling it in snug enough, which is possible because I vaugely remember the problems occuring on shots where the birds were straight above me and getting behind me...which would make it hard to pull it in snug. He recommended running about 100 rounds through it on clays and see how it fares in that atmosphere. I hope it resolves itself soon or I'm gonna be a BPS and 870 man for life . Those 2 guns are bullet proof! And yes...I was shooting 1 3/8 oz 3" 2's and 1 1/4 3" 2's so the ammo should not have been an issue. Thanks alot!
Old December 20, 2005, 08:25 PM   #4
IrishGrit

Oh...this gun went from the box to the field with no practice or break in peroid. I did'nt know that autos needed a break in??? Do they?? I've only shot around 3 boxes through it.
Old December 21, 2005, 08:29 AM   #5
InSoMNiaX23

It's not a problem. I am glad you were able to find some peace of mind. I imagine anything that has springs in it has a break in period. When I bought mine, it was used for clays for at least 1000 rounds before I ever tried hunting with it so I always had it firmly against my shoulder without the chance to shoot in any off-handed field positions. One other thing, be careful with the gunscrubber. My friend used that on a Remington rifle with a sythetic stock and it discolored a good portion of it. Enjoy that Benelli.
Old December 22, 2005, 12:11 AM   #6
IrishGrit

Thanks 23, I'll let ya know how the target shoot goes. Hopefully all goes well,...these guns don't have the "best auto's made" reputation for nothin! Merry X-Mas!