The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 5, 2013, 12:38 PM   #1
kharter

Browning Citori Choke Tubes

so i got a slightly used browning citori and the bottom barrel has an extended improved modified choke but the top has the screw in style and i am not sure what size it is. thise are the only chokes it came with so that is all i can shoot with for now. I was wondering where would be the best place to get a hold of some other extended chokes? the only place that i have been able to find extended chokes were on cheaperthandirt.com and i couldn't find anything different than the imod.
Old August 5, 2013, 01:01 PM   #2
Grant D

Check with www.briley.com They have everything you need.
Old August 5, 2013, 01:59 PM   #3
BigD_in_FL

So unscrew the top one to see what it is. A quarter should work nicely. You should have asked for the rest of the chokes. is the gun Invector or Invector Plus, because they are NOT the same and will not interchange. It should say on the chokes (remove them from the barrels); it should also say on the barrel mono block near the extractors.
Old August 5, 2013, 03:20 PM   #4
BigJimP

Both barrels are threaded ....

Like Big D said ....they are either Invector or Invector Plus....so figure that out first....
--------------
Browning.com has chokes ....in both Invector and Invector Plus.../ and I think Briley makes them for Browning....but you can buy from Briley as well. Browning sells a number of "flush" and "extended chokes"...in all of the common constrictions and gagues..( Cyclinder, Skeet, IC, Mod, Imp Mod, Full ....and a few others )....
------------
If you have to use a choke wrench on either one of the barrels ...they're in there too tight !! Get them out .....and clean the chokes and the threads inside the barrel ...and lube them ( grease or oil ) ....and screw them back in ( Finger Tight ) !!...../ if they won't go in and out easily - without hanging up at all......then clean the threads in the barrel and on the choke tubes again, and again....until they go in smoothly ..with nothing more than a finger inside them to screw them in our out.
------------
Go to your local clay target club ...and ask around / 7 out of 10 guys will probably be shooting some model of a Browning Citori - and they'll help you get the chokes out ...and show you what you have..../ some gun shops might be able to help you as well....
Old August 5, 2013, 07:57 PM   #5
Bake

I like Carlson's

choketube.com

Good price. Fast service. Good selection (all 3 types).....
Old August 6, 2013, 11:46 PM   #6
kharter

just found out today that they are just invector chokes
Old August 7, 2013, 01:58 AM   #7
Dreaming100Straight

Invector is the type of choke, but you can get them from Browning, Briley, Carlon's, and many other makers.
Old August 7, 2013, 08:01 AM   #8
BigD_in_FL

Invector and Invector Plus refer to the barrel dimensions, with Invector Plus barrels being basically overbored from the normal 12 gauge dimension - which is why choke for one type do not fit the other. Briley, Carlson's, Tru-lock, Muller, Pure Gold, Comp-N-Choke, and others all make chokes for Browning. Some are more expensive, made of different materials, some are extended while others are flush. Personally, I like extended chokes for several reasons - I can immediately tell what chokes are in the gun without pointing the muzzle at my face to try and count tiny notches, I can easily remove and change them as necessary, and lastly, they provide a little bit of protection for the muzzles in case the gun slips and lands muzzle down. Better to replace a $45 choke tube than a $1500 set of barrels
Old August 7, 2013, 12:56 PM   #9
BigJimP

Lots of sources for the older Invector style chokes...but I'd still get them from Browning directly.

http://www.browning.com/products/cat...=113&tid=38768

You can probably get by with just an IC and Mod ..../ but I carry a pair of Skeet, pair of IC, pair of Mod, one Imp Mod and one Full ....( 6 of them fit into a plastic fishing lure box...) and 2 in the gun....
Old August 7, 2013, 05:09 PM   #10
Dreaming100Straight

What he said about 2 in the gun. I never store/keep a gun without a choke screwed into every barrel so as not to risk firing without one and damaging the barrel.