The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 15, 2012, 03:56 PM   #1
checkmyswag

870 mag extension finish question

What is the proper mag extension to get for this gun?

Remington 870 Express Synthetic 18"

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...ic-18inch.aspx

It's the "non-glare matte finish", but I don't see mag extensions listed as that.

I seem to only find parkerized and blued and I believe the police models are parkerized while this is a cheaper dull black finish.
Old June 15, 2012, 04:37 PM   #2
iamdb

for 18" you want the +2. as far as finish goes it just depends on your preference.
John 20:29 Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
Old June 15, 2012, 05:02 PM   #3
TheKlawMan

To borrow an exclamation often used by Zippy, "Yikes!"

I just looked on the Remington County Store and they want $84.95 for a "Remington Model 870 18" Magazine Extension Kit (+2Rd, Parkerized) (19420)" http://www.shopremingtoncountry.com/...Rank=salesrank

People say that the Express is not Parkerized but a kind of blued finish, but that is what it looks like imo. I just took a close look at the 870 I bought that came with the 2 round extension and it is hard to say whether the extension is or is not the same finish as the rest of the gun. (I do know that the model I purchased is the same one a guy with a police armory business likes to buy for the one's he builds for police agencies. He takes the new weapon and then parkerizes it to get a better finish that even Remington's parkerized guns.

Too answer your question, if you get the extension from Remington, of the two get the model listed above.

Save yourself $45 and get this on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remington-87...item2a1e34c860
Old June 15, 2012, 05:12 PM   #4
TheKlawMan

If you get the one on ebay, pay an additonal $9.95 for the extended Wolf Spring. (If you buy from Remington it comes with a longer spring which is needed for an extended mag. Wolf springs are supposed to be better, anyway.)
Old June 15, 2012, 05:34 PM   #5
oneounceload

Might be better financially to leave it as is and buy some ammo and practice - if you really need more than the normal rounds, you might want to look at a rifle, even a nice M-1 carbine
Old June 15, 2012, 05:43 PM   #6
checkmyswag

Have thought of just leaving it as is...I'm sure we would all be a lot better off to do nothing at all to or with our guns.
Old June 15, 2012, 05:44 PM   #7
checkmyswag

Just odd as it seems to be an in between finish. Will keep examining the ultranet.
Old June 15, 2012, 07:32 PM   #8
Dfariswheel

The "correct" finish for a standard Express would be the standard satin blue.
The Express has a bead blasted blue finish that's a dull flat black color.

The other finish available is parkerized, which is a medium gray color that doesn't match the bead blasted blue finish used on the Express.

The blued extension will be slightly shinier than the Express finish, while the parkerized will be as dull and flat as the gun, but the color will be off.
Old June 15, 2012, 08:34 PM   #9
checkmyswag

Thanks, Dfariswheel.

These guns also come with the extension installed (that finish should match), where could I find the factory installed extension?
Old June 15, 2012, 10:26 PM   #10
TheKlawMan

I would call Remington and find out what matches the express. I wonder if they coat one just for the express but for some reason don't market it by itself? The one that came with my 7 shot model sure looks like the same finish as the barrel and receiver.
Old June 16, 2012, 12:16 AM   #11
checkmyswag

Quote:
I would call Remington
In the age of interwebs...this is a great idea. Sometimes the old way is better.
Old June 16, 2012, 07:59 AM   #12
LSnSC

The Remington tube matches the Express I put it on. Keep in mind the Remington kit comes with a much better clamp than you'll get with a Tac Star or Choate. That makes them a little more valuable IMO.
I see alot of Nordic tubes at 3 gun matches. The look to be very well made and have a teflon coated aluminum follower. If I buy another, thats what it will be.
Old June 16, 2012, 11:45 AM   #13
zippy13

LSnSC makes a good point. For gun value, aren't you better off with a factory part that matches than an aftermarket one that stands out like a redheaded step-child?
Old June 16, 2012, 01:12 PM   #14
checkmyswag

LSnSC which one are you refering to?
Old June 16, 2012, 02:05 PM   #15
LSnSC

I have a Remington plus 3 tube on my 870 express. It and the gun have the same matte finish.
Old June 16, 2012, 06:20 PM   #16
Dfariswheel

Sorry, I totally forgot about the Express defense guns that have the factory extension.

The POLICE extensions come in a satin blue (sometimes described as a sulfate finish) or a parkerized finish.
The Express defense gun comes with what appears to be the same bead blasted blue finish the gun has.

To get an Express extension, contact Remington. They have an excellent customer support system.
Old June 17, 2012, 09:52 PM   #17
LSnSC

My express was a standard field combo gun, 28" vent rib and a 21" rifled slug barrel. I added a turkey barrel and an extension. They all have the same matte finish.
Remington extension tubes come either blued or parkerized.
Old June 17, 2012, 10:13 PM   #18
checkmyswag

Think I'm just going to keep it lighter in weight and simpler with the 4 shot tube. Should be better handling too.

Thanks all. I still might call Remington out of curiosity and in case I want to add an extension down the road.