The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 9, 2012, 10:40 AM   #26
brushhippie

Tombstone, in the creek where Wyatt shoots Curly Bill.
Old June 9, 2012, 11:06 AM   #27
splatman

Desperado with Antonio Banderas.
Old June 9, 2012, 12:24 PM   #28
Jo6pak

I gotta vote for Open Range
Old June 10, 2012, 09:27 PM   #29
ZVP

I mistyped a 6 for a 3

Was really tired sorry guys!
What a great bunch of Movie Shootouts are mentioned!
I see we are all biased by our favorite type of revolver too! Seems we pick an era/shootout where that one is featured...
Great answers. I loved all those Movies!
ZVP
Old June 10, 2012, 11:51 PM   #30
tripe1917

I believe the most realistic shoot outs were shown in "Open Range" and the "The Hired Hand". "Shane" has real good gunplay in it and is still my favorite western.
Old June 11, 2012, 12:47 AM   #31
softscrubb

Open Range is good.. The Shootist is good... Joey Wales...
Old June 11, 2012, 05:08 AM   #32
saltydog452

I have to agree with Post # 11, that'd be High Noon.

Next up would be Bandaris as Villa. On this one, get the DVD and follow the back story of the characters, that time, and those circumstsances. Pancho made a movie.

salty
Old June 11, 2012, 06:45 AM   #33
Mike Irwin
Staff

Three come immediately to mind...

True Grit

The Shootist

Pale Rider

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 11, 2012, 11:45 PM   #34
Straitshot

For me I used to think the baddest shootout was the Wild Bunch, but for the most realistic and best Open Range get's my vote. There are, however, a bunch of others that are really good.
Old June 12, 2012, 07:36 AM   #35
indy1919

Now this movie is in the same time frame, And if we allow us to go all the way down to Mexico, maybe we can go a little more west to Africa and count

Zulu..

Its almost like a western Movie...The Army is sent in to a native peoples land to Protect them/fight them.. The Native people fight back with Primitive weapons, large numbers and guts. The big difference from an Western in America is fewer horses and the color of the soldiers uniforms.
Old June 13, 2012, 04:04 PM   #36
buckhorn

hired hand

TRIPLE1917 - I think you're the only other guy I ever heard mention that movie. Produced and directed by Peter Fonda. The first 'realistic western I think I ever saw. Came out in 1971, was a cult classic, and still available on DVD. Warren Oates and Peter Fonda were a great pair. 'Easy Rider' but with horses and old guns!
Old June 13, 2012, 04:36 PM   #37
jimbob86

3:10 To Yuma was ruined for me in the opening scene .... I kept sayin', "Shoot the lead horse, and crash the stupid armored wagon........"

The best shoot-out? I loved the realism of Unforgiven, when Will Munny comes in out of the rain with the short shotgun, levels one guy and has the other barrel misfire (who knew black powder and rain don't mix!?!?!) ...... the unreal part was that in the ensuing shoot-out, black powder smoke did not reduce visibility to nigh zero ....... having shot a few pounds of the stuff, I can assure you that a cylinderfull or two would fog up even a large room pretty badly, with no place for the smoke to go......
Old June 18, 2012, 11:43 PM   #38
Darto

The long opening scene "Once upon a time in the West".

trivia: Sergio Leone's two daughters appear in that scene.

This is my favorite Western, by a mile!
Old June 19, 2012, 11:37 AM   #39
indy1919

Darto,
Where would we be with out Sergio Leone and he Spagetti westerns...

After finishing Hatfields and McCoys.. I do have to say the gun Battles in that movie were so realistic they were frighting.. In fact the PawPaw bushes Massacre (Which was moved to trees for the Move) was so horrific I had to read the disclaimer at the end of the movie to make sure no Animals or humans were hurt in the making of the movie...
Old June 20, 2012, 02:59 AM   #40
Bill Akins

It's so hard to choose. Josey Wales, Shane, The Shootist, True Grit, the list goes on and on. I did like the lines in Shane though....

Alan Ladd as "Shane"...."So you're Jack Wilson".
Jack Palance as "Curly"...."What's that mean to you Shane".
Shane...."I've heard about you".
Curly...."What have you heard Shane?"
Shane...."I've heard that you're a low down yankee liar".
(Pregnant pause and big smile on Curley), Curley "Prove it" ....bang! bang! bang! bang! As Curley flies backward while he shoots and misses and the old man next to Shane tries to shoot Shane and Shane shoots him and then about 15 seconds later the guy upstairs shoots and wounds Shane but Shane also shoots him. I always wondered if after Shane rode off if he died or not. No way to tell in the movie and I didn't read the book.
One of my favorite scenes and a true classic. Check out that scene below if you've never seen it.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDDOd...eature=related

I also loved the way Burt Lancaster smiled and twirled his revolver back into his holster after he fired, not yet realizing he had been shot by Gary Cooper in "Vera Cruz". Another classic. See that scene here....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YEwZ8cSxqo

Another one of my favorite western shootouts is "The Magnificent Seven". I liked the "lost his nerve but got it back" gunfighter character Robert Vaughn played. That last shootout was a long one where most of them all died except for Yul Brenner and Charles Bronson.

I also like the big showdown in "Wagon's East" where the supposedly meek gay guy was actually a very accomplished gunslinger and no one knew. "Oh Butch get over yourself" he said Lol, cracked me up. And the things he said when he shot the surprised bad guy who was so surprised along with everyone else at the meek gay guy who throughout the movie no one knew could even handle a gun. Not my favorite but a good one. Certainly cracked me up and probably ranks as the most humorous western shootout I've seen.

Sorry, it is impossible for me to choose the one I like best. So many are excellent for different reasons. Maybe the dialogue is great in one. The gunplay is better in another. One is longer than another. One has better acting or a character dies unusually like in "Vera Cruz". It's like putting a whole line of beautiful blonde women perfect in every way in front of a guy and asking him to choose his favorite. His only logical response would be...."All of them!"

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; June 20, 2012 at 03:12 AM.
Old June 21, 2012, 06:02 AM   #41
rep1954

Well my favorite western is "Once Upon A Time In The West" which probally means my favorite gunfight is from the very same movie and it is. The whole opening scene gunfight is my favorite.
Old June 21, 2012, 06:10 AM   #42
9ballbilly

Tombstone, the gunfight between Doc and johnny Ringo.
Old June 21, 2012, 08:28 AM   #43
Hellgate

The opening shootout in Silverado was pretty good with Scott Glenn as Emmet inside the shack against heavy odds shooting through walls, etc. Lotsa dead BGs and fast shooting.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old June 21, 2012, 10:43 AM   #44
gunloony

Bill Akins wrote:

Quote:
...Another one of my favorite western shootouts is "The Magnificent Seven". I liked the "lost his nerve but got it back" gunfighter character Robert Vaughn played. That last shootout was a long one where most of them all died except for Yul Brenner and Charles Bronson...
Got to agree with you on "Shane" and "Seven", I'm not familiar with the others you cite, but I do have a minor nit to pick on your description of the survivors above. The characters who lived through the final big shootout were played by Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, and Horst Bucholz (sp?). Bronson was one of the casualties.
But who's counting?
Old June 21, 2012, 12:31 PM   #45
pgdion

I'll just vote for Mike Irwin's response instead. Those are 3 good movies! I think I might put True Grit at the top.
Old June 21, 2012, 11:32 PM   #46
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Best Western Movie shootout?

My favorite shootout movie. A classic called. The Santa Fe Trail. Made:1940
Starring Errol Flynn as Jeb Stuart trying to subdue abolitionist John Brown.
Old June 22, 2012, 12:05 AM   #47
youngunz4life

I would like to see a remake of "Hombre"

"Hombre" 1967-paul newman(ten yrs before the movie slapshot) had some great scenes...particularly when he fired on the badguy all the way down the hill and the final scene
Old June 22, 2012, 04:03 AM   #48
4V50 Gary
Staff

The shoot out that didn't happen

Ending of the Burt Lancaster film, Valdez is Coming. It doesn't end in a shoot out. He's trapped but won the admiration and respect of his pursuer (the hired gunslinger). The pursuer refuses the order to gun down Valdez and tells his men to stand down. Valdez then tells his nemesis it will end in two ways. Either he gets the $100 he wants for an apache widow it they will shoot it out between themselves.

There is shooting in the film and before being caught, Valdez uses his Sharps buffalo gun to kill some of his pursuers at close to 1,000 yds.

If you guys like Quigley Down Under, get your hands on Valdez is Coming. I bought it as a three flick, one disk at Wally World.
Old June 22, 2012, 07:27 AM   #49
Mike Irwin
Staff

Gotta throw this one in, not because it's good...

Charles Bronson in Breakheart Pass.

The final gun fight scene has just about every hackenyed cliche regarding Hollywood western gunfights all compressed into about 10 minutes.

My favorite?

An indian attack on a train. The indians have horses, but they dismount and run AFTER the train in knee deep snow!

Still, it's got a great cast -- Bronson, Richard Crenna, Jill Ireland, Charles Durning, Ben Johnson, Bill McKinney, David Huddleston, and a bunch of very recognizable character actors.

It's one of my guilty "I'll watch it every time it's on" pleasure movies...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 22, 2012, 09:32 AM   #50
4V50 Gary
Staff

Mike - Break Heart Pass was one of the other three flicks that was on that disc that had Valdez is Coming. I thought that Indian foot assault was silly. It was a Murder on a Western RailRoad Express flick. The third film was The Missouri Breaks with Jack Nicholson and Marlon Brando. Lots of dry gulching, bush whacking in that last film.