The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 16, 2010, 07:54 AM   #1
Ryan044

FN (browning 1910)

My uncle has a war bring back model 1910 with Nazi stamping on it. The finish is only 20% as rust took hold and upon cleaning it most finish was removed. Is this worth anything or has the missing finish ruined value.
It had been well worn and all edges are rounded.
Old February 16, 2010, 02:34 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Those guns were a popular war souvenir and are fairly common. They top out at around $600, but yours sounds like it would go for $150 or so. Too bad about the finish as condition is all important in gun value.

Jim
Old February 17, 2010, 07:50 AM   #3
Ryan044

Thanks Jim, I was figuring maybe $100 I'm not sure if I would even shoot it with the condition it was in before derusting it. There are no visible rust spots in the barrel after cleaning and springs appear to be solid. To bad they are kinda worthless.
Old February 17, 2010, 08:55 AM   #4
SilentHitz

I picked up one recently from a forum member for $350. It looks like someone bought it in 1955 ( from serial#) and put it in a dresser drawer...looks about 99%. Of course mine doesn't have the nazi markings, so I use it as a nice little BUG.

Might want to consider something like duracoat, just to protect the metal from rust. My stepdad has a PPK with nazi markings, original holster....sadly it has almost zero finish as well. We're thinking of Duracoating it just to keep it from rusting...collector value is already gone, but they are nice little shooters & pieces of history.

http://k5fv.com/
Old February 17, 2010, 09:10 PM   #5
Winchester_73

Even though the collector value is hurt by the lack of finish, there will always be someone who would buy the gun. Since it has a story behind it, was carried by the nazi's and the gun itself is a great design with quality craftsmanship, someone will always pay $150+ if it works right. As a shooter it has value, don't forget that. I'd rather have a gun like that (in good working order) over many new guns that are out today.
Old February 17, 2010, 10:11 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

The postwar imports are often called the "1955 model" but AFAIK FN didn't use that term. They differ a bit from the pre-war guns. FN (Browning) guns were not imported into the US before WWII, as FN and Colt made an agreement to stay out of each others territory, so most of the pre-war guns were brought back as souvenirs by GIs or imported used with tons of other guns in the post-war period by Interarms and others.

Jim
Old February 26, 2010, 09:16 PM   #7
sigma40sw

1910 Brownings make Great Pocket Pistols

I got one from an estate about 15 years ago. It was a battlefeild pickup brought home and left in a drawer in its issue holster. It was pretty ratty. It had not been taken care of. Corrosive ammo must have been shot in it last w/o cleaning as the 32acp barrel look like a rusted out sewer pipe. The outside was in bad shape too from the acid of the leather holster and mosture. To make a long story short, I polished the frame and slide,had it reblued. It turned out nice. I replaced the 32 barrel with a new .380 barrel and replaced all the springs. Parts were available from Numrich in West Hurley,NY. They make a great pocket gun and I carry it once in a while. Recently I started shooting IDPA BUG matches with it, do quite well with it. I found a guy in Texas that makes a belt slide holster for the 1910. It carries well and is just as effective as any modern pistol. I would say clean it up and shoot it. It should be enjoyed.
Old February 26, 2010, 09:29 PM   #8
Tom2

I find the grip safety on pocket pistols to be a huge nuisance. Not quite as convenient as the one of the full sized 45 for example. But you do have to admit that the little Browning with no protrusions and nice rounded corners should set an example for a perfect concealment gun. Perfect size and shape for that purpose. Just that the design is a bit outdated with the inconvenient safety features. If it had a safety like the Colt Govt 380, it would be perfecto. Oh, and a lighter frame from alloys or something. The Little hammerless Star pistols share some of the handling of that gun as do the little Savages and Ortgies Remington, etc. All are excellent profiles but the details is what makes them less than perfect in modern terms.
Old February 28, 2010, 03:12 PM   #9
gyvel

I think your pistol is a Model 1922 rather than a 1910. As fas as I know, no 1910s were ever procured by the Germans, and I have never seen one with Waffenamts. (I collected both for many years.)