The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 10, 2009, 09:30 AM   #1
bryceh12321

BEST Scope Rings/Bases

Just curious as to what your thoughts are on this. What are the toughest, tightest most secure scope rings out there?
Old February 10, 2009, 12:11 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Five people = Seven opinions.

I've yet to have a problem with Weaver stuff, not even since I got back into using scoped rifles in 1963. Are they "best"? How could I know? Same for Conetrols. Same for Leupold. Same for Stith.

If you try something and it works properly, how could something else be "better"?
Old February 10, 2009, 12:18 PM   #3
Horseman

There's really been an explosion in mounts the last few years. The possibilities of acceptable mounts is endless. It would help if you told us what rifle we are talking about. Target, tactical, varmint,deer rifle?

My all time favorite is the traditional style vertically split Talleys. Light, compact and look expensive. The machining on these is impressive.
Old February 10, 2009, 12:18 PM   #4
noyes

What are the toughest, tightest most secure scope rings out there?

The one's lapped & fitted to your gun & scope .

Better

The one's lapped & fitted to your gun & scope by a master gun smith.
Old February 22, 2009, 04:53 PM   #5
James R. Burke

I never had any problems with Leupolds. Just a good average set up. If you can get a set up lapped and done by a smith better yet, I just never had the extra bucks.
Old February 22, 2009, 06:59 PM   #6
whiplash

I really like the Burris signature series (with the insert/rings) in a double dovetail set up...
Old February 22, 2009, 09:53 PM   #7
Erratic

what does the lapping and fitting accomplish? until recently I thought you just bolted them on and shot at things.
Old February 22, 2009, 10:30 PM   #8
jmr40

Anything that uses a cross slot like Weavers. The Leupold dovetail mounts work but are more complex, expensive, and harder to properly mount than necessary.

The newer styles such as Talley lightweights and DNZ which do not have a separate base and ring set up are very attractive as well.

Ruger rings are pretty good and foolproof also. Of course they only work with Ruger rifles.
Old February 23, 2009, 09:17 AM   #9
whiplash

what I like about the double dovetail, is there is no windage or other screws to vibrate loose after time (locktite might have prevented it), that happend to me once, and I made sure it wouldnt happen again. Switched to the double dovetail and never looked back...
Old February 23, 2009, 09:55 AM   #10
pilothunter

Ruger is the best system, I agree. Others that would be considered of very good quality would be Warne, Talley and Weaver, using multi-slot bases. I'm not a big fan of some of the newer brands such as DNZ, as they normally give you very little latitude for scope/ring placement, which can be very important especially in a S/A rifle.
Old February 24, 2009, 09:03 AM   #11
Gonzo_308

well, I've just spent a week exploring and searching and exploring some more on mounts and rings.

You can spend $400.00 getting your scope attached to your rifle if you want.

I know what the Marine Corps, Navy and several smaller police and military agencies use because the companies are all too happy to tell me so. just before they tell me what they want for their product.

I prefer a one piece base so that once it's mounted, at least that part is straight.

Good rings can be had from lots of places. so it's a matter of budget.

lapping scope rings does two things, it "trues" the contact points of the rings so there's even contact all the way around the scope. it can also help align the two rings so the scope isn't "torqued" or "pinched".

Tags
bases , rings , scope , secure , tight